06-24-2012, 06:46 AM
User Info
We have returned from our journey to South Carolina where we visit a few times each year. About a 650 mile drive and 12 hours later we are home after enjoying ourselves.

So what do you take with you when you travel for a week with so much to choose from in your dens.

I took a new Lea shave stick, and some brush/brushless Kiehls. No brush this trip thinking I would us the stick as it ie intended. This proved difficult as compared to the brush method of soaping.

Hardware was a Magnum M5 cartridge system which I kind of enjoyed returning to I might add.

Aftershave was Figaro which I was low on in hopes of finishing it during the week.

Having so little around me my wife felt the bathroom looked like a normal person was shaving and she enjoyed the extra room. In the end I did miss my den and the multiple choices I have during the week. Specially my brush.

By the way there were a few good antique finds waiting for someone in Georgetown S.C. where I hunted but found only items I have already.

5 273
 06-24-2012, 06:52 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Smile
good to know you got back home safe!

hehe, a *normal person's bathroom* Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-24-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
I usually take

Lord L6 - not afraid of losing it gives a good shave

Muhle Silvertip Fibre - I have been using this since Sep-Oct of 2011. Holds up well and dries fast.

Shave Stick- usually Arko or Wilkinson.

Mennen Afta and Aqua Velva- they go well together and work.

2 697
 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
Gillette Guard
Tube of Lea, Herbs of Bulgaria, or Rose of Bulgaria shave creams, or squirt something else into 2 or 3 sample pots.
Shea Moisture badger brush
small bottle of witch hazel
sample bottles of aftershave - various, or my sample tube of Lea ASB
sample tube of Every Man Jack face wash

0 836
 06-24-2012, 09:30 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Glad to know you missed the nook and have finally returned to your normal habits. Makes me feel better knowing that there are others out there who suffer separation anxiety when they do not have their full arsenal of shaving amenities and creature comforts. Welcome back home and Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
The only thing I absolutely know that I'll take is my Gillette New LC razor kit.

Here it is with the New LC head in place and the Tech head out of place.
[Image: DSC03651.jpg]

The expected ambient temperature would tell me to bring either a menthol or Bay Rum AS, And I'd probably bring a cream that doesn't require a brush. I'd go into face lather withdrawal, but I'd survive.

32 6,309
 06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
(06-24-2012, 01:35 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The only thing I absolutely know that I'll take is my Gillette New LC razor kit.

The expected ambient temperature would tell me to bring either a menthol or Bay Rum AS, And I'd probably bring a cream that doesn't require a brush. I'd go into face lather withdrawal, but I'd survive.

Brian,

That's a great looking kit. I travel monthly, sometimes more, for work. That would be perfect for me. Where did you find it? I'm assuming possibly through the forum here. Shy
Thanks,

Mark

6 135
 06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
User Info
If I'm lucky I get to go car camping a couple of times a year. This year I'm lucky so will be spending a week at Plymouth State Park in Vermont (right down the road from the Long Trail Ale brewery.

Shave stick (Palmolive, Speick, Arko, Wilkinson Sword)
Semogue 1800 or 1250 or 1460
Gillette Slim with Astra SS blade or
Merkur HD with Derby Stainless blades.
Clubman A.S.

Some of the state parks in Vermont have fairly deep well, so if you are altitude, the cold water rinse at the end of the shave is a religious experience.:Smile

3 452
 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
User Info
(06-24-2012, 02:06 PM)Paisley E Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 01:35 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The only thing I absolutely know that I'll take is my Gillette New LC razor kit.

Brian,

That's a great looking kit. I travel monthly, sometimes more, for work. That would be perfect for me. Where did you find it? I'm assuming possibly through the forum here. Shy
Thanks,

Mark

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

Mark, I made that. It began with a falling apart Tech travel kit. I made the basic case and just transferred everything into it, but the travel tech never did anything for me. Sure I could use the Tech and a get a shave, but not one that I relished. Then I decided to replace the Travel Tech head with the New LC and now it's a travel kit that will give great shaves and I don't think misses anything.

If you like I can post a series of pics showing how I made it so that you can too. It can be done with a radial arm saw, or a router, maybe a bandsaw. A drillpress is helpful or a hand held drill motor can also be used to drill the hole(s) to index the head in place. 3 holes if you want to use an Old (requires 3); the New only requires one. The Old would be another good head for the kit (travel Tech handle used).

I can get enough cloth material and use plexiglas (I think) to make another if you want one. But it might be more expensive than you wish and not be as polished as you expect. I can't work cloth so that will require another craftsperson. I have a very limited supply of goat skin (that's what mine is made of).

For me it would be a good winter project, so if you're in a hurry and have a budget I might not be the best person to approach. I can post the pics so that any craftsman can make one.

Let me know. PM me to bring it to my attention. I don't always return to posts/threads.

32 6,309