06-24-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
For me: The iKon OSS

As I've said around here,the HeadBlade's quite good,yet I must say I've finally found a DE razor that begs to be used for head shaving.

The iKon OSS is an outstanding razor for head shaving.Some have said the closed comb side is mild.....I say technique plays into the equation...in any case it must be very effective or there's no way I'd be able to cover as much surface area as quickly as I'm able to. 

The OSS handle is a head shaver's dream come true.Perfect length,diameter and balance with a grippy surface that gives a feeling of confidence and try any angle flexibility.

Not using the OC side much up top yet but can see it may be good for sweeping above the ears.

The only spot I'd miss the HeadBlade is the top of my head where the HeadBlade seems to be easier to ATG my somewhat angular surface area.With practice that too may be conquered by the OSS.No matter what razors are in my stable,I'll probably hang onto the OSS forever.I've noted that any DE razor that can shave ATG on the sides of my head quite well will be at least as good on my face.The OSS is indeed the most versatile razor in my house.

YHMV
(Your Head May Vary)

7 414
 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
huh.... I may have to give the iKon h2o a try. I can't say the safety bar side is good for face shaving, but maybe head shaving is its calling.

0 253
 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
User Info
Whatever DE razor you're most comfortable using would the best DE for shaving your head. For me it's the slant.

9 451
 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:17 AM)etoyoc Wrote: huh.... I may have to give the iKon h2o a try. I can't say the safety bar side is good for face shaving, but maybe head shaving is its calling.

Wouldn't hurt to try a test drive,one particular thing I like about the OSS is that long grippy handle makes it easier for me to use my right or left hand comfortably.My technique with the cc side is repetitive short strokes with a moderate touch.

(06-24-2012, 11:53 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Whatever DE razor you're most comfortable using would the best DE for shaving your head. For me it's the slant.

You're right about wanting that comfort level...My Weber was a decent head shaver but I never felt comfortable enough to rely on it often.If I can get the technique down for the top area a bit better with the OSS,I'll most likely be head shaving 100% DE every day.

Although the slant concept makes good sense,I've never tried a slant face or head,gonna have to branch out and try other stuff one of these days.

7 414
 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
slant for me, if I'm using DE.

Or else I'm using the Gillette guard.

3 315
 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM
User Info
(06-24-2012, 06:02 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: slant for me, if I'm using DE.

Surprised me to see the Gillette Guard after some of the things I've read about it.

Ya never know,often less is more....

I thought about my cartridge use for head shaving and I found less was better with the multiple blades.A 2 bladed Atra cart performed noticably better for me than the triple blade Mach 3 and infinitely better than the conFUSION.

7 414
 06-25-2012, 07:30 AM
User Info
I use whatever razor I have loaded for the face. But I will say that I like the results of the short comb New, Futur, and lately the Fatip Grande above those of my other razors.

Swore off carts 20 years ago when I went electric. It was the head shaving that got me into shaving with a DE. It shaves much faster, and better than the electric I was using. I can't tell you how many people tell me to come into the twenty first century and use a headblade. I just ask them if they would like me to bring the used carts to them to trash(I don't have trash service), the DE blades I use come in paperboard with paper wrappers. I can recycle everything. //end of rant//

I have heard good things about the Guard though. I think when it comes to the head shave, being comfortable with what ever tool you use is most important. I put down a OCMM because I didn't get enough feedback in the handle to feel comfortable. Who knows if I was right or wrong, but at least I get great head shaves from the tools I use.

0 103
 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 06:28 AM)razorx Wrote:

Surprised me to see the Gillette Guard after some of the things I've read about it.

I thought about my cartridge use for head shaving and I found less was better with the multiple blades.A 2 bladed Atra cart performed noticably better for me than the triple blade Mach 3 and infinitely better than the conFUSION.

Carts are probably the easiest and fastest way to go, but since I don't own one I use what I'm most familiar with. I did try my nephews Schick Hydro and it worked great on my noggin. I thought about getting one just for my head.

9 451
 06-26-2012, 04:07 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I get the best headshaves with a Feather or Kai razor (straight with replaceable blade) but if I use a DE it's the Merkur slant.

27 1,297
 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 04:07 AM)Snuff Wrote: I get the best headshaves with a Feather or Kai razor (straight with replaceable blade) but if I use a DE it's the Merkur slant.

You're truly insane. No way would I even attempt that shave. Hell, I wouldn't let an experienced barbers get near my head with one of those.

9 451
 06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
The best DE for head shaving for me is a toss-up between an Ikon S3S with an OSS handle (which I agree is possibly the best head shaving handle out there) and an Ikon S3S with an Ikon Classic handle.

Coming a very close 2nd are the Merkur 39c & 37c Slants, as well as three British NEW heads I have on 2 BRW handles and a Tradere handle.

I've not found the OSS to be as good on my head as these.

I found the R41 head to be very effective but was fed up with the extra irritaton it caused when using a sharp blade.

I did use a straight on my head for the first time last night and think that this could well be the way forward for the days I want a really close head shave.

32 638
 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 01:18 PM)ajc347 Wrote: The best DE for head shaving for me is a toss-up between an Ikon S3S with an OSS handle (which I agree is possibly the best head shaving handle out there) and an Ikon S3S with an Ikon Classic handle.

Coming a very close 2nd are the Merkur 39c & 37c Slants, as well as three British NEW heads I have on 2 BRW handles and a Tradere handle.

I've not found the OSS to be as good on my head as these.

I found the R41 head to be very effective but was fed up with the extra irritaton it caused when using a sharp blade.

I did use a straight on my head for the first time last night and think that this could well be the way forward for the days I want a really close head shave.

I examined my technique today and noticed that with the OSS I use rapid 2 inch strokes very similar to my HeadBlade cartridge technique.When using my S3S (which I haven't yet tried with the OSS handle) I use much longer lighter strokes.Up to now it seems that the OSS causes less irritation,but I haven't given the S3S much use there yet so there's room for improvement.

I am getting an extremely smooth morning shave that stays that way well into the evening.

(06-25-2012, 07:38 AM)Johnny9 Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 06:28 AM)razorx Wrote:

Carts are probably the easiest and fastest way to go, but since I don't own one I use what I'm most familiar with. I did try my nephews Schick Hydro and it worked great on my noggin. I thought about getting one just for my head.

Although not very purist of me,truth be told....If I want to go really fast and still get smooth,it's a quick first pass everywhere with the HeadBlade/Atra Cart then back over it all on the 2nd pass using my OSS.

7 414
 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
User Info
When I was head shaving I started with a GEM Featherweight and I now know that it was clogging on me that first head shave. I went through 5 blades before I got the stubble cleared off with that razor. I also wasted 4 blades.

I retired that razor from head shaving after a time and decided to try the OCMM. It was fantastic. It even shaved flat some scars that I have. Thankfully scar tissue doesn't bleed, but it certainly felt like it came close. If someone has no scars the OCMM is a fantastic head shaver. A milder razor that I would use w/o hesitation would be the GEM Clog-Pruf. It would be milder, not clog, and give a great head shave. I wish I had possessed the spheroids to use it the first time when I was removing the stubble from the buzzcut. I would have saved 4 blades for later use. Live and learn.

BTW... live and learn... I bought some Head Slick shave cream. What a waste of $ IMO for a traditional shaver. Just use real shave lather and a big brush. IMO it's far superior. But Head Slick is designed for cart' users of the head shaving roller skate. What do the masses know? It's long since gone to a friend who shaves his head and likes HeadSlick.

32 6,309
 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
As I have a few trouble spots that always nick with DE, its Schick Quattro for me. Got a bunch for $1 a cartridge. Can shave daily with 1 cart for a month, silky smooth!

1 63
 06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
User Info
Great. . . . I'm a head shaver and it looks like I'll have to get a slant now Sad. I didn't realize they were good for head shaving.

Once I get a slant (or, perhaps, two), I'm done with getting new shaving stuff until next year -- I swear!

I keep wanting to buy high-end audio stuff but keep putting it off since I keep spending money on shaving stuff. Tongue

0 214
 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 08:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: When I was head shaving I started with a GEM Featherweight and I now know that it was clogging on me that first head shave. I went through 5 blades before I got the stubble cleared off with that razor. I also wasted 4 blades.

I retired that razor from head shaving after a time and decided to try the OCMM. It was fantastic. It even shaved flat some scars that I have. Thankfully scar tissue doesn't bleed, but it certainly felt like it came close. If someone has no scars the OCMM is a fantastic head shaver. A milder razor that I would use w/o hesitation would be the GEM Clog-Pruf. It would be milder, not clog, and give a great head shave. I wish I had possessed the spheroids to use it the first time when I was removing the stubble from the buzzcut. I would have saved 4 blades for later use. Live and learn.

BTW... live and learn... I bought some Head Slick shave cream. What a waste of $ IMO for a traditional shaver. Just use real shave lather and a big brush. IMO it's far superior. But Head Slick is designed for cart' users of the head shaving roller skate. What do the masses know? It's long since gone to a friend who shaves his head and likes HeadSlick.

I use whatever shave soap I'm face shaving with and you got that right...A big brush.

Can't blame 'em for trying,gave one bottle of the slick a spin,not impressive even with the roller skate.

Speaking of the head skate...good for a fast first pass followed by the DE when I'm in a hurry.I should shoot a video,I can make that that little hot wheels shaver dance !

Pic of me after this morning's shave---> Biggrin
Pic of me 12 hours later,no stubble ! --> Biggrin

(06-26-2012, 08:36 PM)mhdena Wrote: As I have a few trouble spots that always nick with DE, its Schick Quattro for me. Got a bunch for $1 a cartridge. Can shave daily with 1 cart for a month, silky smooth!

A MONTH ????
Damn !!!!

(06-26-2012, 10:33 PM)Pnume Wrote: Great. . . . I'm a head shaver and it looks like I'll have to get a slant now Sad. I didn't realize they were good for head shaving.

Once I get a slant (or, perhaps, two), I'm done with getting new shaving stuff until next year -- I swear!

I keep wanting to buy high-end audio stuff but keep putting it off since I keep spending money on shaving stuff. Tongue

Lot of love for the slant in this thread,I'm going to file it away for future reference and a possible shot at it sometime.Wondering what slant offers the most bang for the buck ?

7 414
 06-28-2012, 04:11 AM
User Info
I either use my Feather DE or I opt for my trusty Mühle Sophist Fusion cart Biggrin

22 5,062