08-08-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
I've seen a fair bit of discussion on Chiseled Face aftershaves, plus some bits and pieces on the soaps -- mainly the Cryogen.

I don't believe I've seen a general thread on their soap line, though, so I'd like to start the ball rolling.

This morning I tried Ghost Town Barber after receiving a sample yesterday at Pasteur's.
It whipped up nicely in a bowl, has a pleasant understated scent, and provides good cushion.

After finishing up with Speick and (perhaps a bit of overkill) a bit of Lucky Tiger too, my BBS face feels great.

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this and the other soaps. Like...dislike...indifferent?
Seems like their price point is good too.

8 897
 08-08-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
I started early with CF's products and they have stayed in my top rotation. I love the slightly softer consistency that makes loading a breeze, and the post shave feel of the aftershave is as good for me as any. Sherlock is probably my favorite scent of any soap ever. It's not for everyone of course but I love it. It's dirt, leather, tobacco, etc. I always describe it as walking into Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's study. There's old leather books and artifacts everywhere, a dirty pair of boots in the corner, a drink on the desk, and there sitting in a wingback chair is the man himself having a smoke. Summer storm is another knockout in my book, it is reminiscent of walking though a field after a hard summer rain. There's elements of floral in there, like some wild flowers wafting on the breeze following the storm. As someone who doesn't particularly like florals, I love this one too. To be fair though, the matching aftershave did have a bit too floral of a dry down for me, but I think most would love it. I also enjoyed Easy Street, which to me is a pleasant light barbershopish kind of scent. 

Now I don't want to sound like a super fan boy (probably too late), there are some scents I didn't like. Tradewinds was too floral for me, Redneck literally smells like an unkempt Autozone (exactly what he was going for), and Ghost Town Barber is just unpleasant to my nose and I tried it twice. That being said, performance is excellent, scents are some of the best out there, and the proprietor of the company is a genuinely nice person. In addition to making these great products he has also organized a Floid Blue split for those not wanting a 400ml bottle, a synthetic knot group buy, and at least one box pass. Cool dude.

43 207
 08-08-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
Performance is awesome.

Scents can be complex but well described.  Sometimes, however, you just want a simple fragrance note ALA Mystic Waters or Deluxe Shaving....

18 642
 08-08-2015, 09:46 AM
User Info
I've used the Easy Street soap and splash and find scent wise to almost the same as CRSW Puro Fresco. Great performers!

147 3,464
 08-08-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
Funny! A few hours ago I shaved with CF for the first time (Sandalwood). Easy to lather, great cushion/slickness and post shave-feel. Couldn't be happier.

0 86
 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
Scents are very individual. I found Summer Storm to be like a big bag of potting soil from Home Depot. Not to my taste at all. Tradewinds was pretty nice though, and I'd like to smell Ghost Town Barber and Easy Street. The performance was great for me. The lather seemed especially cushion-y and whipped up really easily.

9 112
 08-08-2015, 03:43 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(You'll confuse everyone if you start calling this CF...
that designation has been taken for a decade by Castle Forbes.)

57 2,556
 08-08-2015, 08:41 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Didn't mean to kill your thread... How about CFS.

57 2,556
 08-09-2015, 04:11 AM
User Info
I got a sample of Ghost Town barber and the performance is amazing (identical to Barrister & mann).  THat includes an amazing slickness and a post shave of the gods (probably due to the silk and mango butter)  Will be buying a full puck soon.

0 32
 08-09-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
Surely it's CFG....Chiseled Face Groomatorium?! Smile 

I have the whole sampler pack and I am slowly making my way through them. My favourite is probably Orange Creamsicle. I am not a huge fan of a lot of the scent however I do find that the scent CFG is trying to capture does come out in their soaps very well. 

Cryogen is cold!

4 642
 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
User Info
Ghost town barber I really like,but Sherlock and Summer storm I really can't tell much of a difference in the scent.As far as performance very good soaps.

0 43
 08-09-2015, 01:08 PM
User Info
Of the ones I've tried I most liked Summer Storm and Ghost Town Barber. Not a fan of Sherlock, which I think is his bestseller. If you like tobacco you'll probably love it though.

15 1,018
 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
For me, Ghost Town Barber is my #1 soap in terms of scented performance. The scent on the Aftershave us very similar to Proraso Green aftershave.

0 87
 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Just ordered Sherlock as I have been on a tobacco kick lately. Look forward to trying my first CFG soap.

2 1,180
 08-11-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
I have the summer storm, and i enjoy the scent.  Makes me feel like I'm back home during a thunderstorm

3 50
 08-12-2015, 05:35 AM
User Info
Got my samples of sherlock and ghost town barber (soap and AS). They were both very strong considering I'm used to a lighter scent. Love the ghost town. The leathery scent comes through right away with the AS and once it settles down you get a very nice scent for a few hours. Ordered some yesterday. Sherlock I was undecided on after my initial use. I felt the pepper in it. That was a bit shocking. The smell seems strange as well. Maybe I just wasn't used to it. Then it soaked in and I'll be damned but it's very classy and sophisticated smelling to me. Got the dusty, earthy smell. Got the peppery, spicy scent. Got the tobacco scent. It was good. I'll be getting some of that for the fall when I'll pretend it's cold here in TX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

0 11
 08-19-2015, 10:36 AM
User Info
I tried summer storm last night and for me it smells like freshly shucked corn. It has that green corn husk scent which is to me very nice. I had read some comments about it being floral which caused me to hesitate but I really like this one. I'll need to give it a few more shaves to get a full evaluation of it but first try it was no problem to lather and performance/slickness was right up with the top tier soaps. Post shave was great also so I might be in the market for another puck. Trying to get my wife to stop using canned shaving cream, I am thinking the orange creamsicle might just be the ticket.

4 105
 08-20-2015, 05:35 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I have been using Ghost Town Barber in my rotation for a while now. I agree, it is an excellent soap. I also like the aftershave.

[Image: SOTD%208-1-15_zpsraokxthx.jpg]

4 2,695
 08-20-2015, 05:52 AM
User Info
I got ghost town barber and I'm still warming up to. The scent is ok to me, but after smelling it consistently it tends to get annoying. It is easy for me to get tired of the cent quickly. But I wll keep it in my den because I have sentiment for all my stuff.

0 16
 08-20-2015, 06:27 AM
User Info
I really like the Orange Creamsicle aftershave and soap and use it in my rotation.

4 465