08-08-2015, 01:26 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be doing some travel for work and need to know what I can pack on a carry-on, since I do not want to check baggage.  I have SE razors, and carts, I'd rather use the SE of course, but what can I legally take on the plane with me?

If I have to check baggage what can I take in the bags?  I did search the web, but man what a mess!

Any help is appreciated!

Matt

74 1,510
 08-08-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
Bag in the cabin: take the cartridge
Bag in the hold: take the SE

There're convoluted means of avoiding cartridge shaving, including mailing blades to your destination in advance, but I could never justify the hassle.

0 143
 08-08-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
As far as I know disposables are allowed in carry on luggage in the US (the tsa.gov website tells me so at least), so you could get some BiC Sensitive SE disposables - they shave pretty well for a disposable.

Have a safe flight Smile

3 4,496
 08-08-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
You're allowed to take the carts in a carry-on, as far as I am aware. For DE or SE, you could also either mail yourself blades, or pick them up from a store near where you'll be staying.  DE blades are pretty easy to find, though it seems the store-branded ones are probably rebadged Dorcos; they'll do in a pinch, but the Personna-made private labeled ones were better.  SE blades are a little harder to find in a drug store these days...

0 1,071
 08-08-2015, 02:15 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
What others have said for razors but also consider the limitations on the volume and number of the liquid containers you may bring in carry on bags too. They must  all be contained in a certain size clear plastic bag presented for security inspection in that bag. At least that is the case here. 

Bob

0 1,694
 08-08-2015, 02:27 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-08-2015, 01:26 PM)Crag Wrote: I'm going to be doing some travel for work and need to know what I can pack on a carry-on, since I do not want to check baggage. 

If I have to check baggage what can I take in the bags? 

Any help is appreciated!

We travel by air a lot (half a dozen trans-oceanic trips per year), the great majority of the time non-revenue space-available, which means (practically) we travel with only carry-on luggage.  

Travel tip:  The Feather MR3 neo razor is the best way to go.  WARNING!  Depending on the length of the trip or the frequency of the trips, you may need to wean yourself off the MR3 neo when you return home; the MR3 neo is that good, and you just may decide to give up your SE razor.

Travel tip 2:  An inexpensive synthetic fiber brush (like the Stirling 26mm) will fit easily into the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper — use a little cellophane tape to close off one end of the tube and a little more tape to strengthen the edge of the other end.   It will fit easily then in your Dopp kit, and you need not fret about losing it.  With a small puck of super-emollient shaving soap suited to hand-loading of that brush carried in a snack size Ziplock bag also in your Dopp kit, you can enjoy truly luxury shaving even on the road.

1 1,089
 08-08-2015, 02:32 PM
User Info
(08-08-2015, 02:27 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 01:26 PM)Crag Wrote: I'm going to be doing some travel for work and need to know what I can pack on a carry-on, since I do not want to check baggage. 

If I have to check baggage what can I take in the bags? 

Any help is appreciated!

We travel by air a lot (half a dozen trans-oceanic trips per year), the great majority of the time non-revenue space-available, which means (practically) we travel with only carry-on luggage.  

Travel tip:  The Feather MR3 neo rabagor is the best way to go.  WARNING!  Depending on the length of the trip or the frequency of the trips, you may need to wean yourself off the MR3 neo when you return home; the MR3 neo is that good, and you just may decide to give up your SE razor.

Travel tip 2:  An inexpensive synthetic fiber brush (like the Stirling 26mm) will fit easily into the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper — use a little cellophane tape to close off one end of the tube and a little more tape to strengthen the edge of the other end.   It will fit easily then in your Dopp kit, and you need not fret about losing it.  With a small puck of super-emollient shaving soap suited to hand-loading of that brush carried in a snack size Ziplock bag also in your Dopp kit, you can enjoy truly luxury shaving even on the road.

Agree with taking a synthetic because they dry quickly. I always take my Plisson fiber and for soap I bring a few samples from Maggard that come in those little plastic jars. I travel all week every week but fortunately it is driving distance so I have not had to worry about getting my DE there. On trips by air I will take my Gillette Fusion if I must, but may buy a Neo MR3 for this reason.

13 947
 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
yeah at least for traveling purposes and avoiding hassle with TSA, just use mach 3 or something similar.  Or like someone said, get the REAL disposable that you can throw away after 1 or 2 shaves, like BIC sensitive, or cheap CVS brand that's $2 for 10.

I know we are all enthusiasts and all, but who wants to be shopping around for DE blades in a strange city ?

I flew for an interview earlier this year, I fought the temptation of bringing DE.  Instead i packed my good ole' mach 3 and brush / cella tub.
Plus, after using the mach 3 or any other carts for a few shaves, you will appreciate your DE a lot more than you did before.

53 760
 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Thanks everyone!  Great ideas all around!

74 1,510
 08-11-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
I like my DE shaves too much to go back to a cart.  As such, I just mail some blades well in advance to the hotel where I'll be staying.  That way I can use the blades I know work well, I don't have to find blades in a strange city, and I don't have to pay inflated prices for them.

Worst case scenario - the blades don't show up (or show up late).  You can most likely get a free disposable razor from the front desk, or buy some at a local pharmacy.

1 135
 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
User Info
Most walmarts carry wilkinson DE blades. 

The Feather F-System (neo) is very good indeed, 1000x better than Mach-3 in my opinion. 
Another option is the trac2 cartridge system. There is even a made by Feather set, the handle is very light but the cart is pretty good, you can get it on ebay ( look for "feather f2 twin blade razor"). The gillette trac2 carts are not bad. In Prague they sold under the label Astra, as the cheapest of the cheapest. So cheap they dont have the lube-strip which I refer to as Schmutz strip. 
I tried the wilkinson disposable razors in Spain last year. I thought they were rather awful. I think these are sold undrr rhe Schick label in the US. 

You can get a big pill bottle for free from your local pharmacy that would hold a brush nicely. 
You probably have a half used tube of shaving cream that can be folded to a compact size. The TSA would not mind a small puck oh shaving soap like VDH which has a pretty convenient container. 
I nice synthetic brush and you're set.

6 827
 08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
No se or de blades allowed on carry on. I travel about once a month and used to  bring my de blade and stop by a Sally's beauty as they carry personna blues, I got tired of doing that so I ordered me a feather mr3 which cost $10.81 and another $10 for cart pack via Amazon. If you go this route or are contemplating it go ahead and  order as it ships from Japan and takes a while. If you change your mind I'm sure you won't have a problem getting your money back on the BST. But everyone I know that has one loves it and traveling gives them opportunity to use something new.

79 824