08-08-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
To all you badger fanatics out there, I ask you what your favourite type of badger hair is ?

Or perhaps you enjoy them all, depending on your mood that day, wheter you use the bowl or directly face lather or depending on the soap/cream you use for that days shave.

As a dedicated face lather guy, I enjoy the softer tipped 2-bands more than the regular 3-Band silvertip knots, but I have found that my enjoyment for 3-Band Silvertip has risen considerably during the last year or so.

My enjoyment for 3-band Silvertips most likely have to do with the fact, that I have found the knot size and loft, whicg gives me the best combination of backbone, softness and overall feel.

For instance Shavemacs D01 3-Band Silvertip is  good eal more rough in feel than their regular 3-Band Silvertip. I own brushes with both types of hair, and enjoy both types of 3-Band hair equally much.

SImpson makes 2 types of 2-Band hair, a rougher feeling type called Manchurian hair and a softer feeling type called 2-Band Silvertip or just Simpson 2-Band.
I own brushes with both types of hair in them, and these days I slightly favour the Manchurian, but only slightly in front of the softer tipped 2-Band, which also is a lovely type of hair.

Shavemac also makes 2 types of 2-Band hair, that resembles Simpson two 2-Band offerings quite a bit. Their D01 2-Band is a good deal rougher in feel than Manchurian hair IMHO, but if you find the right fan shape and knot/loft combo, D01 2-Band can be a great feeling badger knot. The new Shavemac 2-Band reminds me a lot of the Simpson 2-Band Silvertip - nice solid backbone, cloud soft tips and nice overall solid feel.

Thäter makes, in my and others opinion, arguably the softest badger brushes in the entire business. Whether you chose their 2-band or 3-band option, you will receive a cloud like soft feel, yet still with a nice solid backbone. I sold all my fans from Thäters, because the3 fans I owned, 2 2-band and 1 3-band, was borderling flopppy in feel for me - but I know of several other shavers that enjoy this softness in their Thäters.
I have only kept 3 bulb Thäters in my den, two 2-Bands 26mm and 28mm and one 3-Band Silvertip 24mm.

The best value badger hair in my opinion is Simpson Best 3-Band and ZShavemac Finest 3-Band. Both hair type are reasonable priced and provide you with nice backbone and decently soft tips.

My current badger brush den is now cut down from 100+ to 25 badgers.
I might add a few and sell a few, but currently 25 seems to give me the variety I appreciate in my den, while still not having to dust my brushes off before I use them  Biggrin

I typically use 2-3 bdagers in my rotation, and change that rotation weekly or every 2 weeks.
I do the same with my soaps and creams - use 3-4 soaps and 3-4 creams for 1-2 weeks, then rotate to some new soaps.

This way I rotate my brushes and soaps and still learn to appreciate them for what they are.
I often feel I need to use a badger brush 4-6 times in the same relatively short time span before I really get the feel for it and can appreciate it.

Let me hear a little bit about your favourite badger hair and your personal preferences  Smile

24 5,969
 08-08-2015, 02:06 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Not a badger fanatic but my favourite type of badger hair is Simpsons Manchurian because it is ze beste for me.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-08-2015, 02:36 PM
User Info
I think it largely depends on my mood, the only badger i do not like using are the 'pure' badger grade as i find it has too much "scritch". This is quite tough to call, the Shavemac silvertip 2-band is probably my favourite overall grade for bowl and face lathering, if it were just face lathering the Thater 3-band would be my brush of choice. Even though these are what i consider my top choices, I should also mention that I really do enjoy using the Simpson Manchurian hair and the Vie-Long 2-Band, the Manchurian for its excellent flow through and nice soft tips and the Vie-long 2-band if I'm in the mood for a bit of scrub.

7 786
 08-08-2015, 02:58 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
right now simpson's manchurian is really doing me in. beautiful stuff.

41 666
 08-08-2015, 05:42 PM
User Info
Simpson 2 Band Super Badger.  2vikoro

39 3,919
 08-08-2015, 05:48 PM
User Info
I have a few of them:
1- Rooney Finest
2- Rooney Heritage gel tip
3- Simpson's Manchurian
4- Simpson's two band (older version, not currently available SilverTip)

74 2,274
 08-08-2015, 05:49 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
(08-08-2015, 05:42 PM)primotenore Wrote: Simpson 2 Band Super Badger.  2vikoro

2 band "best" isn't so bad either Wink

[Image: 3EKqgFP.jpg]

41 666
 08-08-2015, 06:17 PM
User Info
My favorite is either the Savile Row Silvertip of the Shavemac Finest.  Both are very soft with excellent backbone, the Shavemac Finest having the edge over the Savile Row in that department.

10 351
 08-08-2015, 07:09 PM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Romera Manchurian. I haven't been able to find any knot that I enjoy more. Good backbone along with the softest tips I've ever encountered.

26 261
 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM
User Info
2-Band: Shavemac silvertip or Thater

Silvertip: Shavemac regular or D01 ... slightly prefer regular

HMW: Plisson

Manchurian: none ... have come to the conclusion that they are not soft enough for me

192 1,588
 08-08-2015, 08:56 PM
User Info
2-Band badgers are my prefered knots as they are a face-latherer's dream; strong backbone with very soft tips and some have wonderful scrub   Smile :  

* original WSP Stubby 2-Band & Manchurian
* Simpsons' 2-Band and Manchurian (hopefully will acquire one)
* M&F 2-Band Heritage
* Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band

83 21,077
 08-08-2015, 09:21 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I haven't tried all the brushes I would like to but I have tried enough to know what I like. 
My absolute favourite is Simpson Manchurian (especially when fitted into a Chubby 2 handle)  Biggrin  Love the backbone, soft tips with a bit of scrub.
And then (these will change by mood):
Rooney 2-band Super
Simpson Silvertip
Shavemac D01 2-band
Romera Manchurian
Wiberg White Badger 

Then 
3 band super
best

28 1,622
 08-09-2015, 12:20 AM
User Info
 Rooney Finest 2band, Rooney Heritage 2band, M&F 3band s/tip,  Simpson's 3 band super(older version) sHavemac 3band s/tip, Semogue 3band s/tip.

H.L Thater 3band s/tip & Theirs-Issard 3band s/tip.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 08-09-2015, 05:37 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Where to begin?  What I don't like are brushes which are dense or have a lot of backbone.  As for specific grades of badger hair, my favourites are quite numerous: Simpson best, Thater and shavemac 3-band silvertip, Vulfix superior, shavemac finest, VP Leonhardy 3-band Silvertip, and Kent silvertip.

7 909
 08-09-2015, 07:34 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
M&F 3-band vintage Heritage (no glue bump).
Thater 2 band bulb
Simpson's 2 band Super and M&F 2 band Finest...both from 2011-12 era.

168 1,386
 08-09-2015, 07:59 AM
User Info
This is GREAT info.

As much as I love my LE Manchurian Chubby, sometimes it's TOO dense and almost to firm (but the scrub is top notch) and too much of a lather hog for me... I know I know, load more product....

For my money, however, I much prefer The Varlet's knot on the beehive.  Firm without feeling like a wrestling match, scrubby without scritch, excellent lather release.

I think everyone should try a Manchurian Chubby but if I had to pick between my Varlet and the Simpsons I think I'd go with the Varlet.  I'm planning on doing the full line of Varlets as supplies allow.

18 654
 09-05-2015, 07:07 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Plisson HMW 3-band, followed by VP Leonhardy Premium Silvertip 3-band.

Andrew

43 1,698
 09-06-2015, 03:19 AM
User Info
Shavemac 2 band silvertip
Simpsons Manchurian

I sometimes find after and whilst blooming the simpson knots to be quite messy compared to shavemac M&F.

I also find set at the right dimensions as a bulb the shavemac has very similar backbone to the M6 minus some scrub due to less thick bristles?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 847
 09-06-2015, 04:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have limited experience with using a variety of makers. Of the 3 brands of silvertip brushes in my den my current favorite knot is in the Semogue 2013 SE Olivewood. Next would be Simpson's Duke 3 followed by SOC 2 band. The sleeper in my small den is a big brush from RazoRock (which btw I will review tomorrow, after completing today's shave).

7 2,151
 09-06-2015, 05:18 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Simpson 2 Band (2012/13 batch)
Thäter 2 and 3 Band (most consistently soft knots ever)
Selected M&F 2 Band knots (horribly impredictable knots)
Wiborg White Badger (2014 batch)

37 1,862