08-09-2015, 05:01 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
I've been reading a lot of very interesting posts since I joined the forum and have really learned a lot.
I learned to wet shave 43 years ago in the Army from a Drill Sergeant. He could strike Holy terror into a draftee like me but he took me under his wing and one the many things he taught me was how to make lather with Williams soap in a mug. All these years later I still do. I still have a mug I picked up I Europe back then that is dedicated to Williams soap, and I still use it; often. Williams is a great soap once you know how to use it but I see that it gets little to no respect here. It provides a rich smooth lather that can give me a three pass shave and enough left over to shave my head.

But this forum is a real eye opener for me(I didn't know what a scuttle was till I started reading some of the posts here).

So I am asking some of you Mug Men on the forum to help me out. Please recommend to me some different mug soaps that I might try. Yes, I might be ready to try something besides my beloved Williams. Smile I said try, not give up.

And here is a photo of my favorites; the smaller one is Italian and was Horton while in service over 40years ago. The one beside it Simpsons large mug and it is a real lather factory. I love 'em both. I have Simpsons small mug on order now.

[Image: fcb1a011e4bd33792b758ce06e0149c4.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 29
 08-09-2015, 06:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have both the large and small Simpsons mugs and I don't use either for lathering.  They are both catch-all's for things like toothpaste, toothbrush, lip balm, etc.

As for as a good mug soap, give Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge a try.  Just a great all around soap that would fit nicely in either of your mugs.

178 23,809
 08-09-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
If you like Williams, you'll likely like Prairie Creation's "Walter" - an attempt to resurrect the classic Williams soap, in part inspired by a thread here on the 'Nook.

Other than that, go wild. There is tons of great soaps out there to try Biggrin

3 4,491
 08-09-2015, 07:00 AM
User Info
I to used Williams till I moved and can no longer find it switched to Arko it works great in a mug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 748
 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
I am definitely a Mug man. Call up a round table, Sir!

Nothing says rich luxurious loading of a brush like a mug!

21 1,175
 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
Are there any mug soaps that you call your favorites? About all I have ever used is Williams and Collgate years ago before they stopped making it. I am an old guy and am just now getting into the computer thing, only doing this through an I- phone. So, any advice you all can give me on mug soaps will be helpfull. Thanks so much.

I don't think I'll ever be anything but a mug man tho' just something about it for me.

1 29
 08-09-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
I love my Dusy Kabinett (rose scent), also the Lea shaving soap. Mitchells wool fat should be a great choice, too. I believe any hard soap caqn be used, but these are classics and favourites of mine.... And,
I love the way I can throw my brush in there during use...Smile

21 1,175
 08-09-2015, 03:05 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-09-2015, 07:00 AM)G man Wrote: I to used Williams till I moved and can no longer find it

You can find it here.

1 1,089
 08-09-2015, 03:30 PM
User Info
(08-09-2015, 03:05 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(08-09-2015, 07:00 AM)G man Wrote: I to used Williams till I moved and can no longer find it

You can find it here.

Thanks usually its twice that price.

0 748
 08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
There are 3 williams soaps left in my local pharmacy. may buy them just because

0 517
 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
I used to be able to get them at the local grocery for a dollar thirty three a puck.

0 748
 08-09-2015, 05:03 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Definitely a Mug Men here, and the Simpson's large mug has been the daily driver for around two years.
Apart from the lack of ringes on the bottom (which I believe I've asked Mark to consider), it's the perfect bowl for me.

26 4,928
 08-09-2015, 07:02 PM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
It is a great mug! I just recently got the Simpson Milk Churn brush and the lather I can whip up with it in that big mug. I do have the smaller one on order just because I am a Mug Man and I want it Smile

1 29
 08-12-2015, 05:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Williams is plentiful in my local Pathmark supermarket. It's well under $2/puck. I've tried two pucks and was unsuccessful both times. Wound up using them in the shower.

7 2,144
 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM
User Info
I face lather and use vintage old spice mug.

23 107
 08-12-2015, 07:18 PM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
The small Simpson Mug came today and compared to the large Mug it is really small. A puck of Williams fits in it perfectly however so this may become my new dedicated Williams Mug.

Chazt, here is how I Make lather with Williams soap and it may help you if you are still willing to give it a try.

Williams likes water, lots if water. Fill your mug with Hot tap water and let the puck soak while you shower or brush your teeth. At the same time you can be soaking the bristles of your brush about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up in equally hot water.

When you are ready. Pour off the water from the mug, and now add just enough hot tap water to cover the puck.

Take your brush and run it under hot tap water getting it good and soaked. Now just give it two or three shakes and start making lather.

This is where faith comes in because you are gonna swear you have too much water but I told you that Williams likes water. It's gonna take a couple of minutes and then you're gonna start seeing some pretty nice lather. The longer you work it, the richer and better it gets. It may take you a few trys to get it, but if you can make lather with Williams, then most other soaps are not that big a problem.

Just remember that it likes water, and don't give up on it. There's a reason that it's sold in almost every drug and grocery store in the countrySmile

1 29
 08-14-2015, 07:11 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
I just got a Semogue 830 boar bristle in the mail yesterday along with a Merkur Progress razor and I had to try them out this morning.

All I did to the brush by way of prep was to give it a quick rinse in warm tap water before my usual hot waster brush soak.

Came time to start making lather and I must say that this brush made the BEST later I have ever made with Williams soap. And it did it quicker. Felt great on my face too. Didn't take any picks of the brush with lathered up because I wanted to get it on my face.

The Progress did a great job shaving. I did adjust it during the first and second pass and then back again to the first setting for the final pass. I think I'll really like it once I get used to it.

So, a new brush, a Semogue, my first, has me wondering why I waited so long to get one. I think I'm gonna love it.

And my first adjustable, and after a bit of getting to know one another I think we'll have a great friendship. Here they are together after their workout.[Image: b51df64f8981e612d89eec76fb951ff7.jpg]

1 29
 08-14-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
[Image: JxdzZZL.jpg]

I like mugs. Often use one of these....

2 205
 08-14-2015, 07:51 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
Those are beauties! Are they all vintage?

1 29
 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
Not "vintage" by some standards. They were made in the early 50s and are reproductions by definition. They're still 60+ years old.

The Opium jar is an original apothecary and quite old.

2 205