08-09-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
Gents,

I am enjoying Haslinger more and more. I have tried a fair amount of soaps although i have only been wetshaving for a year so there is a lot out there that I haven't tried.

If you take scent out of the equation and focus only on performance, which soaps do you reckon perform better than Haslinger?

Thanks in advance

0 12
 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
User Info
For me Czech & Speak and Valobra triple milled soaps perform better, also all the Le Pere Lucien soap perfomr slightly better.

Klar Seifen also is slightly better and ABC and Boellis Panama 1924 as well. But Haslinger is right up there with the best for a very fair price.

I only started to use Haslinger based on Bruce's recommendations, thanks to Bruce for that  Thumbup

24 5,963
 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
Cold river soap works, barrister and Mann, saponificio variseno

23 598
 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
Haslinger is a great soap for the price and I wouldn't say there are any soaps that are better in performance, really, in my opinion. 
I do prefer some of the artisan soaps, to it, as I much prefer their scents to Haslinger, with Mystic Water being my favourite, still to this day.

82 21,077
 08-09-2015, 03:06 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-09-2015, 12:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I only started to use Haslinger based on Bruce's recommendations, thanks to Bruce for that  Thumbup

Bruce can be quite the enabler.

75 1,310
 08-09-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
The only one I have ever tried is the Haslinger Schafmilch. I find it to be a great soap and one I keep in rotation next to my MWF. If you like MWF then you will like this one plus if you find MWF difficult to load you will not have that problem here.

147 3,534
 08-10-2015, 04:53 AM
User Info
From the 3 Haslinger soaps i tried, Coconut / Aloe Vera / Spa Sandalwood, for me the Coconut is the best, followed by the Spa Sandalwood and the Aloe comes last. This is based just on performance, because as for smell, any of then are really mild. But for me the smell is ok. One of the best soaps for the price, if you can get it at the right price.

0 236
 08-10-2015, 06:57 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Unfortunately I found all three of the scents I tried to be pretty boring and threw them in the trash. They are fine if you're looking for a tallow soap from a small maker but I have had better shaves with most things I've tried.
Yes, nice looking lather that is easy to obtain. But I didn't just start doing this, so the "effort required" making good lather is the least of my worries using any soap.

59 2,802
 08-10-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 06:57 AM)Nero Wrote: Unfortunately I found all three of the scents I tried to be pretty boring and threw them in the trash..

Maybe PIF next time?

10 1,666
 08-10-2015, 09:25 AM
User Info
I have all the hasslinger soaps and find although cushion is very good, slickness could be improved, tabac is a good one to try

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 846
 08-10-2015, 09:55 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I wouldn't have correlated Haslinger with trash but to each his own.

42 1,041
 08-10-2015, 10:22 AM
User Info
Comparable for me would be Valobra based soaps (AOS tallow, C&S etc). Five years of rotating and trying new soaps, these are the best hard soaps I've used. I haven tried many of the new ones like LpL, SV and whatever else is the flavor of the month and trendy right now.

I have found Haslinger to work perfect for my needs: 2 pass, easy to lather, slick, mild scents, consistent from soap to soap, post shave moisture and fairly cheap.

In the end, no soap is universally better then another. There are too many variables with faces, water and personal preference.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-10-2015, 10:22 AM)Bruce Wrote: Comparable for me would be Valobra based soaps (AOS tallow, C&S etc). Five years of rotating and trying new soaps, these are the best hard soaps I've used. I haven tried many of the new ones like LpL, SV and whatever else is the flavor of the month and trendy right now.

Well Bruce, I may just need to revisit them... I appreciate your feedback. I would try different scents than I had, but willing to try them out. In fairness, it would not be the first time I changed my mind about a product Smile
One of my other complaints, though, was I felt the lather was so thick (naturally, on its own) that it was clumpy and made the razor change speeds and even deflect, and that just felt dangerous. Maybe I could have played around with it more, but considering I did not like the scents I bought (obviously YMMV), I did not invest a ton of time into a resolution of the above.

59 2,802
 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 05:06 PM)Nero Wrote: ...but considering I did not like the scents I bought (obviously YMMV), I did not invest a ton of time into a resolution of the above.

The scents are definitely a huge factor to consider. To my nose, they are all very light or muted.

When I use a soap, it is from start to finish. So I've used enough Haslinger pucks now, to not even think about lathering them. I haven't noticed the lather being too thick when I use them.

My last puck, I was able to dial back the loading to about 12-15 seconds as opposed to my normal 30 or so, and the lather didn't seem to suffer. I think they are quite concentrated, so a 30-60 sex load will yield either very thick lather or lots of it, water usage dependent.

As always, no soap is for everyone, so maybe they just don't click with you.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-10-2015, 07:56 PM
User Info
This is one soap I really wish I liked.  I only tried the schafmilk but didn't take to the scent and didn't feel the performance was as good as my other products (cella, smn, adp). I don't have as much experience as Bruce with hard soaps so I chuck some of it up to that.

0 131
 08-10-2015, 09:48 PM
User Info
Matt, you should really try the Haslinger again, as I found it to be an excellent soap. Try loading for less time, as Bruce has stated, because it is very concentrated and you don't need much; use more water to dilute it and to get it slicker. I found it to be excellent; however, I just didn't really enjoy the subtle 'soapy' smell and much prefer the scents from the soap I use.
I would recommend the Honig as the honey scent is, even though very mild, nice.
Good luck.

82 21,077
 08-10-2015, 11:24 PM
User Info
Looking fwd to give haslinger a try when it arrives (tvb).
Hopefully the muted scent also means muted skin reactions. Have been getting those from most creams and soaps, including those that didn't give any problems before. We'll see.

8 1,126
 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
I'm not sure I've had a soap better during the shave.  

I have other soaps that make my face feel better post-shave, but during the shave, Haslinger is top tier. 

The scent is what turns me off.  The olfactory component to shaving is VERY important to me and this is why I will not replace my Haslinger.

10 350
 08-27-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
I like Haslinger Schafmilch and Sage. I use Schafmilch seasonally in the winter only and sage anytime and find both, top performers.

0 76
 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
Original, coconut and honey all perform well for me

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 846