08-10-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
Just curious if anyone here tried to trade with someone and got burned badly.
Knock on the wood, I've had only great experiences trading with members here, I am positive that most of us have good intentions here, but who knows if there are certain individuals waiting for the next victim. 0_o

So, if you are trading with someone with zero feedback, and not many posts, recent join date, how do you ensure that the trade goes smoothly?
Should you just politely ask them to send the item first, and when you receive the item, you will send yours?
Paypal each other $100~ or whatever amount. If you don't get the item, file a claim and get your money back?

What are your tricks?

53 759
 08-10-2015, 01:26 PM
User Info
if you both paypal eachother 100 bucks he could easily take his hundred back as well,  There's always going to be some risk, I only deal with longstanding members with good feedback to help diminish the risk

79 824
 08-10-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 01:26 PM)Deuce428 Wrote: if you both paypal eachother 100 bucks he could easily take his hundred back as well,  There's always going to be some risk, I only deal with longstanding members with good feedback to help diminish the risk

well, if you can provide the tracking number that says "delivered" to his "confirmed" address (hopefully), then he might have difficult time trying to take money back. 
True, dealing with trustworthy members diminishes the chance of getting scammed.

53 759
 08-10-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
Do your research, ask questions, ask for pics, if it's too good to be true, it is.

I've been lucky, but had a couple bad transactions. One required a PP claim that I won easily. The other was here on TSN and the buyer has yet to respond to my PM, so I sucked it up.

I try to buy as little as possible used or even new from the BST. Most warranties with hardware are only covered if you are the purchaser, even if new...as I found out with a Savile Row brush

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-10-2015, 01:33 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 01:30 PM)Bruce Wrote: Do your research, ask questions, ask for pics, if it's too good to he true it is.

I've been lucky, but had a couple bad transactions.  One required a PP claim that I won easily.  The other was on TSN and the buyer has yet to respond to my PM, so I sucked it up.

I try to buy as little as possible used or even new from the BST, as most warranties with hardware are only covered if you are the purchaser, even if new...as I found out with a Savile Row brush

All evidence has been buried.  All tapes have been erased.

+1 on asking questions and asking for pics, but don't want to come across as worrisome/annoying.    Anyways, that's a good preventive measure.

53 759
 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 01:23 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: Just curious if  anyone here tried to trade with someone and got burned badly.
Knock on the wood, I've had only great experiences trading with members here, I am positive that most of us have good intentions here, but who knows if there are certain individuals waiting for the next victim. 0_o

So, if you are trading with someone with zero feedback, and not many posts, recent join date,  how do you ensure that the trade goes smoothly?
Should you just politely ask them to send the item first, and when you receive the item, you will send yours?
Paypal each other $100~ or whatever amount.   If you don't get the item, file a claim and get your money back?

What are your tricks?
Never been burnt here but I have been burnt in other communities. In trading if the person is new, I ask for them to ship first ,which is common practice on the knife forums. Also I go as far to give my cell number so that the buyer or trader can't contact me directly with a problem not wait for me to check my pm inbox or email. Pictures and tracking are good too,I always try to send pics of my item in the box with the address written on it prior to sending it out,as well as the receipt that shows the weight of the package, a little nath and Google can help you determine how much your package is supposed to weigh.

Its not 100% but I try to make people I do business with feel comfortable. The time I was burnt the guy loved to post his favorite hangouts on social media and went to the same place nearly every night...Just so happened a good friend of mind lived close to him and frequented the same club he did. A little face to face encounter got the guy who had ripped me off to have a change of heart about ripping me off and he decided to go to an ATM and give my friend the money for the item he burnt me for. So you never really know...

3 1,356
 08-10-2015, 02:06 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I hope the OP is not worried about me! I will work to make any issues right!

I had a recent sale on another forum where the seller sent me a bunch of blades but, in two separate envelopes (without telling me the scenario). I received one and not the other so I thought he was scamming me.

I was a little hurt and expressed it but, he explained and then I felt like a fool!

I would never scam someone in any way. If someone buys or trades with me and they are not happy - I will work to make it right as fair as possible!

28 667
 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 01:33 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(08-10-2015, 01:30 PM)Bruce Wrote: Do your research, ask questions, ask for pics, if it's too good to he true it is.

I've been lucky, but had a couple bad transactions.  One required a PP claim that I won easily.  The other was on TSN and the buyer has yet to respond to my PM, so I sucked it up.

I try to buy as little as possible used or even new from the BST, as most warranties with hardware are only covered if you are the purchaser, even if new...as I found out with a Savile Row brush

All evidence has been buried.  All tapes have been erased.

+1 on asking questions and asking for pics, but don't want to come across as worrisome/annoying.    Anyways, that's a good preventive measure.
If someone gets offended for you CYA then move on...

3 1,356
 08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 02:09 PM)Otis375 Wrote: If someone gets offended for you CYA then move on...

For sure. I go so far ask to ask the history of the item, usual a brush. If they can't answer, don't know or play dumb, I usually pass.

I've seen many people selling stuff that they've done weird things to, had issues with or pointed out a flaw and then neglected to mention it in the sales thread.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-10-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 02:06 PM)nunhgrader Wrote: I hope the OP is not worried about me! I will work to make any issues right!

I had a recent sale on another forum where the seller send me a bunch of blades but, in two separate envelopes (without telling me the scenario). I received one and not the other so I thought he was scamming me.

I was a little hurt and expressed it but, he explained and then I felt like a fool!

I would never scam someone in any way. If someone buys or trades with me and they are not happy - I will work to make it right as fair as possible!

it's not you.  I've been curious how people do it! Biggrin

53 759
 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 01:52 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(08-10-2015, 01:23 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: Just curious if  anyone here tried to trade with someone and got burned badly.

So, if you are trading with someone with zero feedback, and not many posts, recent join date,  how do you ensure that the trade goes smoothly?
Paypal each other $100~ or whatever amount.   If you don't get the item, file a claim and get your money back?

What are your tricks?
Never been burnt here but I have been burnt in other communities. In trading if the person is new, I ask for them to ship first ,which is common practice on the knife forums. Also I go as far to give my cell number so that the buyer or trader can't contact me directly with a problem not wait for me to check my pm inbox or email. Pictures and tracking are good too,I always try to send pics of my item in the box with the address written on it prior to sending it out,as well as the receipt that shows the weight of the package, a little nath and Google can help you determine how much your package is supposed to weigh.

Its not 100% but I try to make people I do business with feel comfortable. The time I was burnt the guy loved to post his favorite hangouts on social media and went to the same place nearly every night...Just so happened a good friend of mind lived close to him and frequented the same club he did. A little face to face encounter got the guy who had ripped me off to have a change of heart about ripping me off and he decided to go to an ATM and give my friend the money for the item he burnt me for. So you never really know...

that's like the best come back story I've heard.  What's the likelihood of finding someone like that after something like that happens? 
What a brave soul to be posting everything on facebook and scam people around while exposed like that.

53 759
 08-10-2015, 02:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have no little fascination with the  shaving aftermarket. I have been generously gifted with items and managed to gift back on a more modest scale.  I think I bought some Super Iridiums from a longtime forum member and sold old formula WoW A/S to another. Finances simply cannot bear
 impulsive 'magpie' reactions to every shiny new item. I have assembled several shaving kits from these gifts for homeless veterans and PIF items I know are highly sought after by longterm forum friends. I've bought a few real trainwrecks- artisan soap off of EVILBAY  with so much essential oil I had to jump into a cold shower. I deep sixed that stuff and never thought of flogging it on some other poor soul. With such a active aftermarket there
are bound to be some hustlers. I just figure a new puck from Phil is a lot less heartache  than one used 3x times from John Doe in Kalamazoo. John
could suffer a stroke, lose his internet to a solar flare or get arrested for a meth lab in the false wall behind his shaveden. I KNOW WHERE PHIL KEEPS
HIS INVENTORY Pancarta

2 3,171
 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I always think what comes around goes around plus, in some cases, if someone "gets over on me" they may just need that item more than me but, they are still buttheads so treating someone that way. I have had some great experiences trying new things out here - some of the best online! I have saved a ton of money and hopefully have saved others a ton of money.

Frankly - I should be selling more but, I RAD so bad this year lol!

I love the chase of new and interesting razors, after shaves and soaps! - Luckily, I have not gone too crazy with brushes yet!

28 667
 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I wouldn't say I've been scammed, but there have been some transactions that felt could have turned out better.

3 516
 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If aftermarket trading  is  'greymarket' what do we call vendors who think they are 'to big to fail' like a car company or bank and ignore customer
grievances?

2 3,171
 08-10-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 03:04 PM)kav Wrote: If aftermarket trading  is  'greymarket' what do we call vendors who think they are 'to big to fail' like a car company or bank and ignore customer
grievances?

They will eventually lose customers.  Its just a matter of when.  Customers will find products from artisans who keep their ears open.

53 759
 08-10-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
I have never had a problem either initiating a BST or receiving a BST on TSN.  I may be naive but I have a high degree of trust in our forum's members.

21 751
 08-10-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
No problems here Thumbup

Except, two occasions in which I have message to buy an item, seller has given my his PayPal, and then tells me he sold the item to someone else.  Of course those two are in my ignore list and they are no good IMO.

But those two are the minority, and IMO don't even count in my opinion of my transactions at the Nook.

61 3,796
 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM
User Info
(08-10-2015, 03:20 PM)hrfdez Wrote: No problems here Thumbup

Me neither. But I have dealt with a great group of ppl. I have seen some that I would b hesitant to deal with tho (not trying to b mean just don't like their practices that I have seen). On the positive I have never had to deal with them. So all is well in my buying/selling/trading world.

82 2,178
 08-10-2015, 03:33 PM
User Info
I had a trade on here and during that trade both members shipped their items very quickly. My daughter was getting really sick and we were taking her back and forth to the Dr. 60 miles one way (she eventually had to have tubes becuae of it. I informed both parties that my shipping was going to be a little late and apologized and offered a few extra blades for them to try. Both of them said no problem deal with your daughter, its just blades etc. I was more worried about getting the blades in the mail than they were, but I did IMO the best thing I could and that was keep communication frequently and as often as possible.

3 1,356