08-11-2015, 12:12 PM
User Info
Usually I'm up and gone before anyone wakes up, but today my wife was in the bathroom while I shaved. I was using Soap Commander Respect, and she says, "That smells terrible! Why would you use that?"

I said, "It's lime... it smells nice."

"It smells like cleaning product."

So out of curiosity I had her smell the other soaps that were in my drawer. My custom Tiki pine/peppermint... thumbs down. Tiki Set Sail... too girly. Stirling Cocoa Forest... thumbs down. Stirling Orange Chill... okay but with an off note (I'm guessing that's menthol). Stirling Ozark Mountain... thumbs up! Mystic Cedar & Sage... thumbs up!

So basically two out of seven were acceptable. Tough crowd! I guess that means I should buy some different ones to try. Biggrin

9 112
 08-11-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 12:12 PM)DesertJake Wrote: So basically two out of seven were acceptable. Tough crowd! I guess that means I should buy some different ones to try. Biggrin

Most soaps wash away after use.  Since my wife doesn't use the shaving bathroom (en suite), she doesn't care if it smells good to her or not.

Now AS is another story.  If she doesn't approve, I get rid of it.

8 2,718
 08-11-2015, 12:21 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-11-2015, 12:18 PM)Bruce Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 12:12 PM)DesertJake Wrote: So basically two out of seven were acceptable. Tough crowd! I guess that means I should buy some different ones to try. Biggrin

Most soaps wash away after use.  Since my wife doesn't use the shaving bathroom (en suite), she doesn't care if it smells good to her or not.

Words of wisdom.

72 1,225
 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
+2 all my AS are wife approved  Thumbsup

11 880
 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 12:12 PM)DesertJake Wrote: Usually I'm up and gone before anyone wakes up, but today my wife was in the bathroom while I shaved. I was using Soap Commander Respect, and she says, "That smells terrible! Why would you use that?"

I said, "It's lime... it smells nice."

"It smells like cleaning product."

So out of curiosity I had her smell the other soaps that were in my drawer. My custom Tiki pine/peppermint... thumbs down. Tiki Set Sail... too girly. Stirling Cocoa Forest... thumbs down. Stirling Orange Chill... okay but with an off note (I'm guessing that's menthol). Stirling Ozark Mountain... thumbs up! Mystic Cedar & Sage... thumbs up!

So basically two out of seven were acceptable. Tough crowd! I guess that means I should buy some different ones to try. Biggrin
Happy wife, happy life...

39 3,879
 08-11-2015, 12:47 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 12:12 PM)DesertJake Wrote: Usually I'm up and gone before anyone wakes up

That's my strategy! I don't talk too much about the hobby with my wife. I think the less she hears, the more favorably she's disposed toward it.

8 897
 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
Don't feel bad and consider yourself lucky! We had first sonogram today with our 2nd child. She says I can tell now lol. Her sense of smell has gone haywire so she does not approve of most anything I have. She made me sleep on the couch for using Thayers witch hazel with Cucumber! Only scent she seems to still not mind is Country Club for Men Modern Fougere.

147 3,464
 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 12:21 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 12:18 PM)Bruce Wrote:

Words of wisdom.

^^ this x1000

82 2,179
 08-11-2015, 01:11 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I am lucky, never had the boss say anything one way or the other about any shave soap/cream or AS/colognes that I use. 

Bob

0 1,694
 08-11-2015, 01:20 PM
User Info
Your senses adapt to whatever you're wearing anyway, so in a way, AS scent is kind of for others - including your wife.

0 1,055
 08-11-2015, 01:20 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 01:04 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Don't feel bad and consider yourself lucky! We had first sonogram today with our 2nd child. She says I can tell now lol. Her sense of smell has gone haywire so she does not approve of most anything I have. She made me sleep on the couch for using Thayers witch hazel with Cucumber! Only scent she seems to still not mind is Country Club for Men Modern Fougere.

Congratulations! As you know my son is the oldest and our daughters are pretty close in age,when I found out she was pregnant again I wanted another boy. Didn't happen and my daughter is a trip,sons a mommas boy but my daughter is all about me. If it's another girl watch out your little girl isn't going to be happy for a little bit.

When it comes to my shave gear my wife only likes a few things,I wear the cologne she likes and as Bruce said soaps wear off. My wife likes mudder focker ,SMdF a little bit,soap commander passion and mickey lee kokomo. She likes one or two more razorock soaps,but everything else she says smells like her grandfather.

On a side note I got her some Barrister and Mann Velvet, stuff smells amazing,and keeps her out of my mickey lee.

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 01:20 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 01:04 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Don't feel bad and consider yourself lucky! We had first sonogram today with our 2nd child. She says I can tell now lol. Her sense of smell has gone haywire so she does not approve of most anything I have. She made me sleep on the couch for using Thayers witch hazel with Cucumber! Only scent she seems to still not mind is Country Club for Men Modern Fougere.

Congratulations! As you know my son is the oldest and our daughters are pretty close in age,when I found out she was pregnant again I wanted another boy. Didn't happen and my daughter is a trip,sons a mommas boy but my daughter is all about me. If it's another girl watch out your little girl isn't going to be happy for a little bit.

When it comes to my shave gear my wife only likes a few things,I wear the cologne she likes and as Bruce said soaps wear off. My wife likes mudder focker ,SMdF a little bit,soap commander passion and mickey lee kokomo. She likes one or two more razorock soaps,but everything else she says smells like her grandfather.

On a side note I got her some Barrister and Mann Velvet, stuff smells amazing,and keeps her out of my mickey lee.

Thank you my friend! My girl is the same way. All about daddy. We're hoping for a boy but will be happy regardless. 

My wife tried to get into wet shaving but just didn't have the patience. Didnt want to take the time to brush lather and only tried Tabac cream &  KMF. After that she gave up so no worries on her taking over my soaps. My Shea Butter on the other hand she confiscated and told me to order more lol.

147 3,464
 08-11-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
Fortunately, my partner has liked almost every scent I use from my only soap! Biggrin

82 21,056
 08-11-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 01:27 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 01:20 PM)Otis375 Wrote:

Thank you my friend! My girl is the same way. All about daddy. We're hoping for a boy but will be happy regardless. 

My wife tried to get into wet shaving but just didn't have the patience. Didnt want to take the time to brush lather and only tried Tabac cream &  KMF. After that she gave up so no worries on her taking over my soaps. My Shea Butter on the other hand she confiscated and told me to order more lol.
I walked in the other day and wife had an r41 to her legs. I showed her how to use a DE and because of the closeness of the shaves she was hooked. She usually likes the old Gillettes,but she has been sneaking my r41.

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 01:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I don't use aftershave splashes. However, I'm quite infatuated with the smell of Proraso sandalwood - soap, cream and balm. Swmbo (retired) hates it. She also gags at the scent of MWF. When I used the downstairs bathroom it wasn't an issue at all. But since our youngest graduated from college and moved back in, she and I use the facilities at the same time in the morning ever since she found a day job (i.e., not bartending), forcing me to use the upstairs bathroom. When swmbo catches a whif of my soaps she really lets me know how much she dislikes (being polite) them. Ergo, I only use those soaps now when I shave on the weekend in the basement. The only soaps swmbo can tolerate are B&M unscented and Shannon's Nil which have become my workweek soaps. Now ask me about swmbo's powders which are applied daily and liberally. Talk about up yer nose! But I just keep my mouth shut at this point. It's not worth the aggravation.

4 1,940
 08-11-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 01:57 PM)chazt Wrote: I don't use aftershave splashes. However, I'm quite infatuated with the smell of Proraso sandalwood - soap, cream and balm. Swmbo (retired) hates it. She also gags at the scent of MWF. When I used the downstairs bathroom it wasn't an issue at all. But since our youngest graduated from college and moved back in, she and I use the facilities at the same time in the morning ever since she found a day job (i.e., not bartending), forcing me to use the upstairs bathroom. When swmbo catches a whif of my soaps she really lets me know how much she dislikes (being polite) them. Ergo, I only use those soaps now when I shave on the weekend in the basement. The only soaps swmbo can tolerate are B&M unscented and Shannon's Nil which have become my workweek soaps. Now ask me about swmbo's powders which are applied daily and liberally. Talk about up yer nose! But I just keep my mouth shut at this point. It's not worth the aggravation.

Smart guy right here. Reminds me of the time I saw this really old couple sitting onna park bench. My wife loves to ask older couples what their "secret was" this couple looked to be in their 80's,holding hands etc. Wife asked her question and the husband looks at my wife and smiles and says "never tell the truth" I was nearly ran over by a car as I was laughing so hard I stumbled into the street.

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM
User Info
Scent from creams and soaps are gone the minute I leave the bathroom.

Fragrances are where I take notice.
But she knows I'm a total frag head.
I wear what I want 99% of the time.

24 5,849
 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: D8GqMfz.jpg][Image: 4iaWR28.jpg][Image: nGEzPLz.jpg][Image: yTpNnDD.jpg][Image: wSAmhr2.jpg]Drop some hints about what you are emulating with two options[Image: jMtaCPY.jpg]

2 3,171
 08-11-2015, 02:36 PM
User Info
I'd use this opportunity to order up some samples and have your bride give them the sniff test.  Lots cheaper that way if they don't work out, and it lets you try some new soaps.

I tried some Boellis Panama 1924 aftershave yesterday, and my bride commented, "You actually smell good for a change!"  She dislikes/tolerates most of my aftershaves, but Nag Champa got the boot as being totally intolerable to her sensitive nose.

1 135
 08-11-2015, 02:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Nag Champa=Gag Upchucka. This is a popular scent at  Hindu festivals and Bob Dylan concerts. I bought an artisan soap and had to jump into an icecold shower. Between the stench and skin irritation I swore off
ever visiting our local temple, the Sri Yogananda Lake Shrine or ever attending another Dylan concert again. The only thing worse are NORCAL earth mothers in granny gowns, braided armpits and 55 gallon drums of Patchouli back at the family yurt.

2 3,171