08-11-2015, 12:20 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm looking to drop a little new-found scratch on a top soap and would like to ask for your help and opinions between Floris and Penhaligan's. I'm asking based on performance first but, if you can, describe the scents for me as well.
Thanks in advance.

7 2,327
 08-11-2015, 01:28 PM
User Info
Haven't tried either, but Jabonman Rosa Bourbon is the 1st soap I've used where I got comments from both my wife and daughter about how good the house smelled, i.e. my recommendation if you are going to drop some $$$.

53 1,199
 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM
User Info
Personally I think if you're gonna drop $40-50 on a shaving soap you might as well go for the proven commodities.
  • Martin de Candre
  • XPEC
  • Le Pere Lucien
  • Pannacrema Nuavia
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • Acqua di Parma
I haven't used either Floris or Pen's, but I know many of the British shaving soaps reformulated over the past several years to inferior compositions.

16 1,027
 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I stepped out of the box and purchased the new Floris #89 shave cream and aftershave balm. Performance is top notch for both. Slick, cushion and wonderful post shave feel. Lovely # 89 scent which is an English favorite since 1951. A gentleman's citrus/floral with woody background. Think Czech & Speake #88 only brighter. 
Presentation, shipping & customer service are top notch as well. 

Please note this is a strong recommendation for the #89 CREAM...not soap. Unfortunately the reformulated Floris soaps are rumored to be less than stellar, although I have not used them myself.

I prefer the Floris #89 cream to the Pen's creams I've tried. 

Also recommend Acqua di Parma shave cream. Possibly the best cream on the market. Luxury all the way. Only negative is that the scent is subtle. But matched with AdP Colonia EdT...you'll feel like Cary Grant. Top Top Notch!

168 1,382
 08-11-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
Buy the Penhaligon Sartorial soap or Bayolea soap. All other soaps from both Penhaligon and Floris will have a risk of being poor re formulations.
The Bayolea cream is at best crap.
The Floris cream is EXCELLENT.

My advice:
Stay away from both brands until/unless you do your homework.
Buy another top soap like Czech & Speak, Klar Seifen or DR Harris.

24 5,965
 08-11-2015, 02:31 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Pens Sartorial has a very good performance and a fabulous scent IMO.
My favorite Floris soap is Santal, but I still much prefer Pen's Sartorial.

26 4,928
 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
If we are talking about CURRENT soaps, you will probably need to go with Penhaligon's and get it from a vendor you can communicate with and ask them to make sure it is Potassium Palmate first in the ingredients list.
Otherwise, you might be cursing. See the recent "FLORIS" thread started by member "leonidas".
I have tried Penhaligon's Sartorial and Blenheim Bouquet, and prefer the BB. (But I have not yet tried Bayolea, which is supposed to be a modern take on "bay rum".)

59 2,810
 08-11-2015, 09:33 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(Disregard. Damn Tapatalk. I hate when I hit "quote" when I meant to hit "edit"...wait a minute, I guess that's my fault. I'm still gonna blame Tapatalk though.)

59 2,810
 08-11-2015, 10:56 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Czech & Speak O&C in my opinion is far superior to Floris.

2 479
 08-13-2015, 08:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-11-2015, 02:21 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Buy the Penhaligon Sartorial soap or Bayolea soap. All other soaps from both Penhaligon and Floris will have a risk of being poor re formulations.
The Bayolea cream is at best crap.
The Floris cream is EXCELLENT.

My advice:
Stay away from both brands until/unless you do your homework.
Buy another top soap like Czech & Speak, Klar Seifen or DR Harris.

Lot's of good advice and one of the things I was hoping for was that our Viking would chime in. I have C&S and a few D R Harris' CHSeifert. My question was initially about the soaps (I'm a soap man) but now the creams are in the mix too.

7 2,327