08-12-2015, 04:45 AM
User Info
Gentlemen,

It's a little hard to believe, but today marks two months since I started "playing" with a straight.  I'd been intrigued by straights for years, but couldn't find one that (a) spoke to me that was (b) within my budget.  I finally found this ERN 13/16 Silver Steel, that Noah had refurbished, which met those criteria.  Paired with an SRD strop, and Lynn's videos as a guide, it took about a month of trying but I was hooked.  I can't put my finger on exactly when it happened, but one day I realized that my shaves were smoother and I wasn't nicking myself--something that always seemed to happen periodically with my other razors.  It still takes a little longer than with a DE, but due to the type of work I do, shaving has long been a "wind-down" time at EOD.  :-)

I feel very privileged.

[Image: 3d8GTVG.jpg]

2 583
 08-12-2015, 04:50 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Beautiful razor and congrats on the milestone. I am intrigued by straights but have never used one directly. Occasionally treat myself to a straight shave at the barbershop.

Stories like this focus my interest!

2 1,180
 08-12-2015, 04:54 AM
User Info
I think I may dip my toe in the water with a shavette some day...  Congrats on reaching this milestone.

0 1,052
 08-12-2015, 04:57 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Brad,

Good show, my friend. Eventually the straight razor shave will become an obsession — a sweet obsession.

145 2,943
 08-12-2015, 05:46 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Congratulations Brad. I think it took me a good three months to feel comfortable with a straight. It takes so much concentration that I think I get into the "zen moment" more with a straight than when I'm using a DE or SE. I find the whole process enjoyable, stropping, keeping an edge on the razor, caring for it, and shaving. I also find straights to be beautiful, something a wood worker must also appreciate. I like the history of straights, and you can get just as good of a shave from a 200 year old razor as you can from a new one. You have a beautiful razor that should give a wonderful shave.

38 5,029
 08-12-2015, 06:34 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-12-2015, 05:46 AM)evnpar Wrote: Congratulations Brad. I think it took me a good three months to feel comfortable with a straight. It takes so much concentration that I think I get into the "zen moment" more with a straight than when I'm using a DE or SE. I find the whole process enjoyable, stropping, keeping an edge on the razor, caring for it, and shaving. I also find straights to be beautiful, something a wood worker must also appreciate. I like the history of straights, and you can get just as good of a shave from a 200 year old razor as you can from a new one. You have a beautiful razor that should give a wonderful shave.

Could not have said it better. +1

Bob

0 1,694
 08-12-2015, 06:56 AM
User Info
(08-12-2015, 05:46 AM)evnpar Wrote: Congratulations Brad. I think it took me a good three months to feel comfortable with a straight. It takes so much concentration that I think I get into the "zen moment" more with a straight than when I'm using a DE or SE. I find the whole process enjoyable, stropping, keeping an edge on the razor, caring for it, and shaving. I also find straights to be beautiful, something a wood worker must also appreciate. I like the history of straights, and you can get just as good of a shave from a 200 year old razor as you can from a new one. You have a beautiful razor that should give a wonderful shave.

That about sums it up.

2 583
 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
Congrats on your progress with the straight razor, Brad. As you've figured out, the ERN razor is not only beautiful, but it's also a great razor. I used to have a few, and I wish that I hadn't sold them. 

I hope your shaves stay fun and that they keep getting better.

37 1,743
 08-12-2015, 10:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brad, congratulations.  I hope to get back to straight shaving after my physical therapy.  Noah does an excellent job with his razors and if I'm not mistaken, I almost purchased that razor from him.

Continued success.

175 23,752
 08-12-2015, 10:58 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Love the razor and keep it up dude it only gets better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 227
 08-12-2015, 11:40 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
From a relative novice SR user to another, congratulations. It becomes addictive.

Nail. Head.

0 403
 08-12-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
(08-12-2015, 10:21 AM)Johnny Wrote: Brad, congratulations.  I hope to get back to straight shaving after my physical therapy.  Noah does an excellent job with his razors and if I'm not mistaken, I almost purchased that razor from him.

Continued success.

Thank you, Johnny and all.  I hope your therapy goes well and that you're able to get back in the groove soon!

2 583
 08-12-2015, 02:27 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Congrats Brad! It does only get better.

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 08-12-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
Congrats.
I need to get back to mine. Or rather, I need to hone mine and then get back to them.
For now, I'm quite enjoying the challenge of a CJB.

0 50
 08-13-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
Congrats and well done Brad!

6 283
 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM
User Info
(08-12-2015, 04:45 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: Gentlemen,

It's a little hard to believe, but today marks two months since I started "playing" with a straight.  I'd been intrigued by straights for years, but couldn't find one that (a) spoke to me that was (b) within my budget.  I finally found this ERN 13/16 Silver Steel, that Noah had refurbished, which met those criteria.  Paired with an SRD strop, and Lynn's videos as a guide, it took about a month of trying but I was hooked.  I can't put my finger on exactly when it happened, but one day I realized that my shaves were smoother and I wasn't nicking myself--something that always seemed to happen periodically with my other razors.  It still takes a little longer than with a DE, but due to the type of work I do, shaving has long been a "wind-down" time at EOD.  :-)

I feel very privileged.

Congratulations. Perhaps you can list three suggestions/tips for anyone interested in SR shaving?  Sherlock

39 3,868
 08-13-2015, 01:31 PM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 11:34 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(08-12-2015, 04:45 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: Gentlemen,

I feel very privileged.

Congratulations. Perhaps you can list three suggestions/tips for anyone interested in SR shaving?  Sherlock

Wow!  First off:  thank you all for your kind words!  The support from TSN--both personally and professionally--has been most rewarding.  I feel truly honored to be part of this group!

Primo, There are certainly many others more qualified than I to list suggestions.  But for what it's worth, here's what motivated me (my non-expert opinions Confused ):

1.  First of all, I wanted a razor that was high quality, but different from many that I saw in SOTD pictures.  In short, it had to "speak" to me, yet be within a limited budget, if that makes any sense. For that reason, an expertly restored vintage razor held particular appeal.  Like many of us, I'd heard that learning to use a straight might take a while; so I wanted something that would help me stay motivated.
  2. Secondly, good instruction.  There are a lot of videos on YouTube, but I looked for something by a recognized expert--someone who'd "been there and done that."  Obie, whose opinion I value very highly. suggested Lynn Abrams.  (I'm sure there are others, but I wanted to stay with one set of instructions rather than get confused by different approaches.)  I watched Lynn's videos on stropping and shaving several times before I started and then once or twice after a week or so.  The one thing Lynn mentions is "take your time."  (Confession:  I rushed things a bit at first and cut myself three times; none of which were serious, but served as a reminder to  pay attention!)
  3. Thirdly, relax and have fun.  Again, I confess that the first time out, I was a bit nervous; but quickly found the experience exhilarating! 
  4. Fourth (Yes I know you only asked for three), I expected to make mistakes:  get a few cuts (see #2), nick the strop, etc.; so none of that particularly upset me.
Hope some of this is helpful....

2 583
 08-13-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
Very helpful and it's from shavers like yourself, relatively new to SR shaving, who can offer the newcomer valuable insight. Thank you Brad.  Thumbsup

39 3,868
 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Beautiful razor and great pic . Makes me want to shave !! Smile

15 541