08-12-2015, 07:49 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
In another thread, I have alluded to a quality of Mystic Water shave soaps for which I have no explanation, only a collection of consistent data points.

This morning I completed my tenth shave with a Wizamet packaged “Iridium Super” (as identified on the external packaging; the printing on the blade itself reads “Super Iridium”) blade.  I am finishing off all of the packages of DE blades in the cabinet that are not labeled KAI, on my way to becoming a KAI-only purist.  I am very familiar with these Iridium Supers, having used about 20 of them, and I know that I usually get about six shaves per Iridium Super blade before I experience tugging or weepers as I shave.  I usually get about the same six shaves with Gillette Silver Blue blades or Supermax Platinum blades and — so far — with KAI blades, under the same circumstances.  

The tenth shave on this blade was not all that different from the second shave on the same blade.  

As I have experimented with different blades and different soaps, I have noticed that, when I have lathered up with Mystc Water shave soap for a good proporion of the shaves on a blade, then the blade does not feel spent as I complete my sixth shave; and in those cases, I usually can get one or two more good shaves on the blade before putting it into the blade bank.

As I am nearing the end of my stock of Iridium Supers, I decided to conduct a controlled experiment.  This time, from the beginning to the end, the only soap that I lathered with was a Mystic Water soap.  (In this experiment, I used Bergamot, cedarwood, and juniper berry.)  Every day for ten days.  And therein lies the story:  ten days, ten shaves, on one blade, not six.  

I have not observed another soap that extends useful blade life in the manner and to the extent that Mystic Water does.  I have not yet developed a hypothesis why other soaps do not extend blade life past six shaves.  I admit that my sample size remains small.  

But — for now — the data here strongly suggests that exclusive use of Mystic Water shave soap extends the useful life of a stainless steel razor blade.  That is what my data says, and I'll stand by the conclusion until someone comes up with a better explanation.

0 1,049
 08-12-2015, 08:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
A sales myth is the so called ' stainless surgical steel'. There is no creature. Medical supply makers merely specify steels with parameters including very tight grain structure. The
idea is a surface with fewer, and smaller irregularities gives biological and mechanical pollutants fewer places to hide during autoclave sterilization. A tight grain structure also provides a smoother, and sharper surface. I theorize the superior lard of a grass fed animal is remaining in those irregularities ( which enlarge and contribute to blade dulling and pulling from irregular planes) between shaves. Have you ever cooked with or cleaned up after using lard or bacon grease? It has a higher melting point than vegetable oils
and is probably surviving a quick rinse and shake and effectively providing an organic version of a fancy blade coating.

2 3,171
 08-12-2015, 09:51 PM
User Info
Oh, how I love this soap!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 08-13-2015, 03:15 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(08-12-2015, 08:59 PM)kav Wrote: A sales myth is the so called ' stainless surgical steel'. There is no creature. Medical supply makers merely specify steels with parameters including very tight grain structure. The
idea is a surface with fewer, and smaller irregularities gives biological and mechanical pollutants fewer places to hide during autoclave sterilization. A tight grain structure also provides a smoother, and sharper surface. I theorize the superior lard of a grass fed animal is remaining in those irregularities ( which enlarge and contribute to blade dulling and pulling from irregular planes) between shaves. Have you ever cooked with or cleaned up after using lard or bacon grease? It has a higher melting point than vegetable oils
and is probably surviving a quick rinse and shake and effectively providing an organic version of a fancy blade coating.

KAV...this makes perfect sense.  We all assume tallow is tallow...but just like Mercedes Benz steel is different than almost every other steel in the auto industry....Michele just may have been tapping into a superior tallow.  Great thought.

159 1,316
 08-13-2015, 03:52 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-12-2015, 08:59 PM)kav Wrote: I theorize the superior lard of a grass fed animal is remaining in those irregularities

An interesting theory, not diminished by the fact that I disassemble the razor after each shave, rinse the blade by itself with a paddle-like motion in a mug of clean hot water, then blot the blade on a towel, before putting it in a position further to air-dry before the next shave.

0 1,049
 08-13-2015, 05:35 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
The $avings keep coming. Biggrin   The coating theory is interesting. I've often thought I could get another pass after my rinse with just the residual soap that's left behind. It takes a few rinses to get MW off your skin/face.

72 1,217
 08-13-2015, 06:31 AM
User Info
I have noticed the same thing with the blades I use (both DE and SE). I can buy into Kav's idea as a possible explanation of this phenomenon. I wonder if it simply has to do with the super protective lather that can be generated with Mystic Waters soap.  This protective, ultra-slick lather possibly masks the dulling characteristics of the blade, even a dull blade (5-7 uses), is still in actuality, really sharp and capable of cutting wiskers, just not as comfortably as a fresh blade.

73 2,196
 08-13-2015, 06:35 AM
User Info
On one hand, I tend to agree with Nathan---even a duller blade will slide easier over a slicker surface. However, as I play my own devil's advocate, a duller blade, no matter how slick the surface, cannot slice off hair better than a sharper blade...  SherlockLeaving one possible explanation, because MW has such a slick and protective lather, the integrity (read: edge) of the blade is preserved for a longer than usual time.

39 3,873
 08-13-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 06:35 AM)primotenore Wrote: On one hand, I tend to agree with Nathan---even a duller blade will slide easier over a slicker surface. However, as I play my own devil's advocate, a duller blade, no matter how slick the surface, cannot slice off hair better than a sharper blade...  SherlockLeaving one possible explanation, because MW has such a slick and protective lather, the integrity (read: edge) of the blade is preserved for a longer than usual time.
An even better explanation!

73 2,196
 08-13-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
Slicker surface is helping the longevity for sure .
Can I say one more time "Marrekesh" :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 08-13-2015, 06:40 AM
User Info
Higher quality and frequent oil changes preserve your car's engine as well. Less friction = less wear and tear.

39 3,873
 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
"Mystic Water Soap transforms your razor into Valyrian steel"...I like it!  Wink

0 272
 08-13-2015, 09:13 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Tallow was the lubrication for all steam driven ships and trains until 1950 when the demands of WW2 had exhausted supplies and cleaner rapeseed substitutes were put into large scale production. If tallow could hold up to steam it should hold up to our most OCD cleaning methods Number_one As an aside; the term 'THE REAL MCCOY" came from railroad engineers asking if the oiling system was the famous inventor's  product- a man who sadly grew a full beard instead of inventing razors[Image: 5VpGyT4.jpg]

2 3,171
 08-13-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 09:13 AM)kav Wrote: Tallow was the lubrication for all steam driven ships and trains until 1950 when the demands of WW2 had exhausted supplies and cleaner rapeseed substitutes were put into large scale production. If tallow could hold up to steam it should hold up to our most CRD cleaning methods Number_one As an aside; the term 'THE REAL MCCOY" came from railroad engineers asking if the oiling system was the famous inventor's  product- a man who sadly grew a full beard instead of inventing razors[Image: 5VpGyT4.jpg]

I enjoy reading your write up . I think that you should have a column spot in TSN. Everyday you should write and that must placed in one spot :-)

I think that I needed to place one more order of mystic .
Thanks Kav

61 3,072
 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 08:51 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: "Mystic Water Soap transforms your razor into Valyrian steel"...I like it!  Wink

Michelle , please consider vetiver please !!!

61 3,072
 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(08-13-2015, 08:51 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: "Mystic Water Soap transforms your razor into Valyrian steel"...I like it!  Wink

Winter is Coming. I better stock up on my Mystic Water Soap.

MW soap protects my the skin very well. I have used blades with 6-8 shaves and the shaves feel smooth. Thel blade  doesnt seem to pull or tug at all.

Vetiver would be nice.

19 419
 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 06:35 AM)primotenore Wrote: a duller blade, no matter how slick the surface, cannot slice off hair better than a sharper blade...  SherlockLeaving one possible explanation, because MW has such a slick and protective lather, the integrity (read: edge) of the blade is preserved for a longer than usual time.

12 34
 08-13-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 09:33 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: Michelle , please consider vetiver please !!!

And fougere! Thumbup

82 21,056
 08-13-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 10:40 AM)TurningGrey Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 06:35 AM)primotenore Wrote: a duller blade, no matter how slick the surface, cannot slice off hair better than a sharper blade...  SherlockLeaving one possible explanation, because MW has such a slick and protective lather, the integrity (read: edge) of the blade is preserved for a longer than usual time.

Oops-sent prematurely. If MW better softened facial hair, the result would be less wear on the blade and more effective cutting

12 34
 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
User Info
(08-13-2015, 10:41 AM)celestino Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 09:33 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: Michelle , please consider vetiver please !!!

And fougere! Thumbup

+1 , dark or light one ?

61 3,072