08-13-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
Hey fellow Shave Nookers 

I am looking for some input on a few different knots, as i am in the market for a brush and am very conflicted.

Some background:
I have in my possession a very nice Finest 2 band, which i love. I have a whipped dog silvertip, which is what it is. I also have 2 plissonesque synthetics, which are great.

I am looking at the Following offerings:

The TGN Finest and Finest F2
The TGN Silvertip Grade A
Ubersoft II

I personally like moderate to strong backbone with soft soft tips. Do you guys have any experience with these knots to help steer me in the right direction?

0 517
 08-14-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
The TGN Finest (bulb and fan) have been my best friends when doing restores. I love them. They're almost always great knots and have the attributes that you are looking for. The F2 is a bit odd, I've heard mixed reviews but the one that I purchased from them ended up being a shedder which they then replaced for me with a regular Finest. The TGN STA is a really great knot as well if you want something inbetween the regular floppyish silvertip and the big backbone of the Finest. I've purchased several of the STA Fan's and have really enjoyed them all. They are great in a bowl and work well for face lathering as well. One of the ones that I received developed a bit of hooking at the tips which was a bit of a pleasant surprise. I haven't ever used any of the Ubersoft knots. 

A couple others to consider would be the Muhle Black Fibre Style and/or the Muhle/Parker/etc Synthetic Silvertip style ones. These are about the only other synthetic knots that I've tried that I like as well as the Plisson style ones. I know a vendor who carries both but I won't mention them here. If you want to know info PM me.

43 207
 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
I have a TGN 2 band finest and it's a great knot! My knot is 24/51. Great backbone but very soft. I predominantly face lather and it's perfect for that but works perfect for bowl as well. 

Another knot you should consider is the TGN HMW. Nice density and flow through with good backbone but is fluffy bunny soft on the face!

148 3,592
 08-14-2015, 05:14 PM
User Info
I recommend the TGN Finest.  I tried the F2 and was disappointed.  It's not a true 2-band, and I found it lacked the combination of soft tips and strong backbone of the Finest.  I've had a number of Finest knots in my rotation over the years and have found it to be an excellent knot and a superb value.  I have some Finest knots which I would rank up there with the knots on my high end brushes.

50 6,414
 08-14-2015, 07:22 PM
User Info
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

I am looking into the HMW and the Finest. The Wolf Whiskers is coming up soon and i wanted to nail something down.

0 517
 08-14-2015, 08:09 PM
User Info
TGN Finest is a really good knot and what I thought was his best offering until my TGN Silver-Tip Grade A Bulb arrived.  I set the loft @46.5mm and the diameter at the opening measured 26.5mm, giving me a firm backbone without being stiff, good flow-through was maintained, and like drivenlegend, the STA developed hooked tips making it nice and soft on the face... since you have a TGN Finest 2 band, I'd recommend giving the STA a go.

1 181
 08-16-2015, 11:40 PM
User Info
My 24mm HMW is a tad scritchy. In many ways regarding its cushion and give it reminds me of a three band D01 knot. It isn't nearly as soft in the tips as a STA or finest however. I've read of people having knots that were cloud soft though but at the price point I find having to chance it unacceptable. I'd recommend going all out for a D01 if you want something similar that's a guarantee .

Or getting an STA or finest!

4 146
 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
I've got experience with all three TGN knots but have never heard of the Ubersoft.

TGN Finest - strong backbone, a bit springy, tips curl when wet to make them very soft and spongy, great value

TGN F2 - hated this one, good backbone but tips were pretty scratchy

TGN Silvertip A - soft backbone, fairly soft tips with a bit of scritch to them, decent value

I'd go Finest.  I've really not read any bad experiences with these knots.  I've had four of them myself and all were pretty good.

5 229