08-13-2015, 08:07 PM
User Info
My son started kindergarten this week and is starting to practice the basics of writing. So of course he needed his first fountain pen. Today his LAMY abc pen arrived. It is blue and is fitted with a medium nib. I have inked it with Noodler's Bernanke Blue.

[Image: aFAsJpk.jpg]

[Image: 0RT5y1x.jpg]

A writing sample picture will be added tomorrow once I get home from continuing education classes and can take a picture of his writing lesson.

31 8,058
 08-13-2015, 09:12 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Wow, I had to learn with a nib and nib holder at that age. We'd dip out pens into the bottle of ink that set in the round hole in our desk. The teacher would give us a new nib and fill up our bottle every Monday. I would have loved that Lamy.

38 5,155
 08-14-2015, 01:15 AM
User Info
Very nice !! I remembered the days when fountain pen was a must use for annual academic exams. The fountain pen was mandatory at the age of 10. Obviously I am giving an example of an overseas country.

I don't know the age of your kid but sounds like a great idea to introduced to fountain pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 08-14-2015, 02:12 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, you're starting your son off right.  Here's hoping he enjoys a lifetime love affair with fountain pens, as well as wet shaving.  Heaven knows, he has the best dad to show him the way. Winky

2 11,211
 08-14-2015, 07:58 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Very cool! You're planting a great seed there.

(Knock on wood, here's hoping you're not cleaning up too much ink) Biggrin

60 849
 08-15-2015, 08:41 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-13-2015, 09:12 PM)evnpar Wrote: Wow, I had to learn with a nib and nib holder at that age. We'd dip out pens into the bottle of ink that set in the round hole in our desk. The teacher would give us a new nib and fill up our bottle every Monday. I would have loved that Lamy.

Me too.  We had to use dip pens all through primary school, but whe we moved into secondary school we had to use a fountain pen for all our work; no ballpoints, no pencils ever.  To this day I still use a fountain pen and own over a 100.

7 923
 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(08-15-2015, 08:41 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 09:12 PM)evnpar Wrote: Wow, I had to learn with a nib and nib holder at that age. We'd dip out pens into the bottle of ink that set in the round hole in our desk. The teacher would give us a new nib and fill up our bottle every Monday. I would have loved that Lamy.

Me too.  We had to use dip pens all through primary school, but whe we moved into secondary school we had to use a fountain pen for all our work; no ballpoints, no pencils ever.  To this day I still use a fountain pen and own over a 100.

Hey, Bryan, Thumbup

2 11,211
 08-16-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
Very nice, Brian!

83 21,098
 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
Sharpspine, good to know your'e starting him off on the right foot. My son also has a Lamy and it has helped his penmanship alot.  Regarding dip pens that other people have referred to, back at the dawn of time I was into the French and Indian war and Mountain Man blackpowder rendevouz periods. Making my own powder horns and quill pens from goose quills. I showed my son how to shape and split the quill and dip in the ink and write. Dad, you have to keep dipping it, shake it off and it takes awhile to write anything, he says. Yes, yes it is slower, but look at the penmanship of these old timers. Your son will have better penmanship than his peers if he stays with the FP. Too many people just scribble something. I mean your penmanship reflects on you.

Hopefully his penmanship will reach the level of freddys'.  Smile

2 226
 08-16-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
That's is just so cool! Number_one

61 3,796
 08-17-2015, 10:38 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
So where is the photo, Brian? Biggrin

2 11,211
 08-17-2015, 11:34 AM
User Info
(08-17-2015, 10:38 AM)freddy Wrote: So where is the photo, Brian? Biggrin

Hi Freddy,
I am thinking about starting daughter to use my montblanc's . Any idea where I can Find writing books for practice ?

61 3,072
 08-17-2015, 01:50 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(08-17-2015, 11:34 AM)Cricket203 Wrote:

Hi Freddy,
I am thinking about starting daughter to use my montblanc's . Any idea where I can Find writing books for practice ?

Whoa!  Some more information, please. Smile  How old is your daughter?  How much experience does she have using a fountain pen?  Are you talking about practice with printing or cursive writing?  

If she has no experience with a fountain pen then I would not suggest she start with a Montblanc.  I would also not have her use your Montblanc if she is very young and only has experience with pencils or ballpoint pens.  (If she is older then I apologize if I insulted her or you but I have nothing to base my thoughts on.) 

There are many books available at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1...g+workbook as well as many free worksheets on the internet that can be printed out  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=penmanship+pra...eets&t=osx.  You will notice, when looking at some of these books/worksheets, that writing styles can vary.  On a personal level, some I like and some I do not care for.  For example, I have never cared for the D'Nealian style.  However, that is just me.  What is important is that all of these styles are clear and easy to read.

Just to refresh, how old is your daughter, what is her writing experience so far, and what types of writing material is she most familiar with?

I sincerely hope this helps somewhat and that your daughter will soon be on the way to great writing experiences. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-17-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
(08-17-2015, 01:50 PM)freddy Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 11:34 AM)Cricket203 Wrote:

Hi Freddy,

Whoa!  Some more information, please. Smile  How old is your daughter?  How much experience does she have using a fountain pen?  Are you talking about practice with printing or cursive writing?  

If she has no experience with a fountain pen then I would not suggest she start with a Montblanc.  I would also not have her use your Montblanc if she is very young and only has experience with pencils or ballpoint pens.  (If she is older then I apologize if I insulted her or you but I have nothing to base my thoughts on.) 

There are many books available at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1...g+workbook as well as many free worksheets on the internet that can be printed out  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=penmanship+pra...eets&t=osx.  You will notice, when looking at some of these books/worksheets, that writing styles can vary.  On a personal level, some I like and some I do not care for.  For example, I have never cared for the D'Nealian style.  However, that is just me.  What is important is that all of these styles are clear and easy to read.

Just to refresh, how old is your daughter, what is her writing experience so far, and what types of writing material is she most familiar with?

I sincerely hope this helps somewhat and that your daughter will soon be on the way to great writing experiences. Thumbsup

Hey Freddy ,
I have an old Mb which she can use , not my vintage 149 :-)

She is 7 and has beautiful writing so I am thinking to start her with cursive which I loved never been good at it :-)

I will check the site you recommended

Thanks for the feedback

61 3,072
 08-18-2015, 10:29 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Congratulations! I remember my last job interview. The 'human resources' manager( makes you sound like chattle) freaked out at my mechanical watch, no calculator and  filling out an app with a fountain pen. That job, That entire retail store chain is a rapidly fading memory of stuff rapidly going to landfills. To quote Steve McQueen in  PAPILLON
" I'm still here you bast****" as is my watch and pen.

2 3,171
 02-17-2016, 11:10 PM
User Info
That pen is really neat!

I love it.

1 451
 02-18-2016, 12:03 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Fantastic pen.  Great job on finding that Lamy.

2 479
 06-11-2016, 10:39 PM
User Info
That is awesome!

0 130
 09-18-2016, 04:00 AM
User Info
They are very good. I used it

0 83