08-14-2015, 05:06 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I usually use natural stones to hone my razors and it can be very frustrating at times with a lot of disappointment but when I do nail an edge it's awesome! That makes it worth it to me.

Lately I've gotten to a point where I want a(some) waterstone(s) to fit into the range of after bevel set to pre-finisher. Just to have something to fall back on if my naturals aren't getting me where I need or want to be.

I am leaning towards the Norton cost wise.. It's a heck of a lot cheaper then the equivalent Naniwa Specialty Stones.

I eventually am going to try and trade a 7x2 coticule for a Norton 4/8 before I buy one if that's the route I decide to go. I just need to wait my 30 days here :p

Is there much difference between the two and if cost wasn't the issue which would you get?

3 227
 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
To me the Naniwa 3/8 combo can be considered as well. http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=976.

I think the Naniwas are softer than the Norton 4/8 and perhaps that's why I don't seem to notice much hone wear on my razors. I think most experienced honers seem to think the Naniwas and Nortons are interchangeable  with some using the Norton 4/8 and Naniwa 12k in combination .

15 541
 08-14-2015, 08:57 PM
User Info
Naniwa 3/8 is closer to 4/8.

I'd go Naniwa. Much better quality, and separate stones.

9 3,036
 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
User Info
I would vote for the Naniwa also, both are good and either one will serve you well. One of the reasons i would choose the Naniwa is that they don't really require soaking, just layer with some water and you're good to go, the Norton seems a bit thirstier. Like others have mentioned the Naniwa 3k/8k combo stone is another good alternative.

7 786
 08-15-2015, 02:49 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Scoti,
I have used both the Norton and the Naniwa, and prefer the Naniwa for some of the reasons already given by these gentlemen.

150 3,037
 08-15-2015, 06:51 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Great input guys!! I'll start saving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 227
 08-15-2015, 07:01 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Never used Norton hones, just started with Naniwa hones and stayed there because they they work well. I use the 3K and 8K between bevel setter and finishing hone.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-15-2015, 08:53 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(08-15-2015, 07:01 AM)BobH Wrote: Never used Norton hones, just started with Naniwa hones and stayed there because they they work well. I use the 3K and 8K between bevel setter and finishing hone.

Bob

Can to you have a comfortable shave off the 8k?

3 227
 08-15-2015, 10:53 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-15-2015, 08:53 AM)Scoti Wrote:
(08-15-2015, 07:01 AM)BobH Wrote: Never used Norton hones, just started with Naniwa hones and stayed there because they they work well. I use the 3K and 8K between bevel setter and finishing hone.

Bob

Never tried to tell the truth but they say it can be done.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-15-2015, 09:12 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I don't have the Naniwa 8k, but have tried shaving off the 5k. It can be done, but you don't really want to. BTW, I've tried shaving at most steps of my progression, not a bad thing to do IMO.

Cheers, Steve

7 528
 08-16-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
(08-15-2015, 08:53 AM)Scoti Wrote:

Bob

Dont they say that you should be able to shave off the 8k stone well before you go any higher up in grit?  Thats what I have heard from quite a few sharpening guru's.

2 116
 08-16-2015, 07:43 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
That's what is said yes. Problem is I do not own a reliable 8k hone. I have a cheap Chinese made "3/8"k but I really doubt the 8 is an 8 so I go to 10 k and then jump to a natural if I'm feeling like it.

3 227
 08-16-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
The Naniwas are great hones. Not only do they give reliable results but leave a polish that is unlike  other synthetic stones...

Philipp

p.s.: I have a chinese 10k that is a monster in abrasive power. It may have fine grit but that is not released cleanly. It feels like a 2k ceramic stone. Usually the grit is published in mesh#, which should be twice the japanese grit rating. A good hone is smooth on the metal, it takes it away but leaves no deep scratches, and does not tear it apart. My Chinese hone is impressive but I am pretty sure it leaves deep scratches, and will fray the edge!

21 1,175
 10-01-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
I have the Norton 1k and 4/8k combo and the Naniwa 12k SS.  I have no issue with Norton,  they work wonderfully.  Usually on touch ups I just use my Thuringian to run about 15 "x" strokes then finish it off with the 12k Naniwa then onto the leather to finish.  I would say and not be afraid to own either system.

0 413
 10-02-2015, 09:42 AM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
Naniwa without a doubt, much better feel, cleaner scratch patter and for me the most important part is they are splash and to.

The norton needs to soak for 15-20 minutes.

10 130
 10-04-2015, 07:12 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Guys, I went with a naniwa 4-8k the gouken line. I can't wait for them to arrive Smile I better read up on 4/8 techniques as I've never used them... any tips?

3 227
 10-04-2015, 01:48 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-04-2015, 07:12 AM)Scoti Wrote: Guys, I went with a naniwa 4-8k the gouken line. I can't wait for them to arrive Smile I better read up on 4/8 techniques as I've never used them... any tips?

You've played around with naturals so a synthetic 4/8 should be easy for you. One guys called the Naniwa system the " dumb dumb" hones because they are so easy to use .

15 541
 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
(08-14-2015, 05:06 PM)Scoti Wrote: I usually use natural stones to hone my razors and it can be very frustrating at times with a lot of disappointment but when I do nail an edge it's awesome! That makes it worth it to me.

Lately I've gotten to a point where I want a(some) waterstone(s) to fit into the range of after bevel set to pre-finisher. Just to have something to fall back on if my naturals aren't getting me where I need or want to be.

I am leaning towards the Norton cost wise.. It's a heck of a lot cheaper then the equivalent Naniwa Specialty Stones.

I eventually am going to try and trade a 7x2 coticule for a Norton 4/8 before I buy one if that's the route I decide to go. I just need to wait my 30 days here :p

Is there much difference between the two and if cost wasn't the issue which would you get?

I would rather have a single Naniwa 5k Professional than the 3/8 Specialty.  I find the Specialty stones clog easily, have little to no feedback and are nothing like honing on a natural and why I sold mine.  The Professional or Chosera are the opposite.  Very hard, splash and go, great feedback and they have a very consistent grit (no rogue deep scratches).  What is your bevel setter?  Chosera 1k to 5K to Coti or other natural works awesome.

0 17
 10-09-2015, 07:09 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(10-09-2015, 01:49 PM)avenolpey Wrote:
(08-14-2015, 05:06 PM)Scoti Wrote: I usually use natural stones to hone my razors and it can be very frustrating at times with a lot of disappointment but when I do nail an edge it's awesome! That makes it worth it to me.

I would rather have a single Naniwa 5k Professional than the 3/8 Specialty.  I find the Specialty stones clog easily, have little to no feedback and are nothing like honing on a natural and why I sold mine.  The Professional or Chosera are the opposite.  Very hard, splash and go, great feedback and they have a very consistent grit (no rogue deep scratches).  What is your bevel setter?  Chosera 1k to 5K to Coti or other natural works awesome.

I felt the feedback on the 10k specialty was awesome, smooth and sharp edge came off that. As for the chosera vs the specialty for lower grits I have no experience so can't chime in on them... My bevel setter is a king 1k and I love it. 

3 227