08-16-2015, 03:29 AM
User Info
I really enjoy my Mongoose razor and don't want to rain on the parade of high praise this razor gets. One thing I find when I use the Mongoose is that it does not glide as well as other razors I own. I have the satin and polished and found the same result. No other razor I own does this. From the king cobra, BBS 1, wolfman, feather AS-D2 and others the Mongoose is the only one that does this. No matter what blade or soap I use I can't get it to glide on my face like the other razors. Has anyone else had this problem.

19 618
 08-16-2015, 03:43 AM
User Info
(08-16-2015, 03:29 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: I really enjoy my Mongoose razor and don't want to rain on the parade of high praise this razor gets. One thing I find when I use the Mongoose is that it does not glide as well as other razors I own. I have the satin and polished and found the same result. No other razor I own does this. From the king cobra, BBS 1, wolfman, feather AS-D2 and others the Mongoose is the only one that does this. No matter what blade or soap I use I can't get it to glide on my face like the other razors. Has anyone else had this problem.

I noticed this with the satin version but haven't experienced it with the polished.  I sold the satin after trying it for about a month and being unable to make it glide as well as the polished.  Sometimes though I think it was all my fault and has nothing to do with the finish of the razor.  Looking back on it, I wonder if I just had the angle wrong, and had too much of the slanted face of the blade cap against my face...with so much surface area trying to glide over my face, especially surface area made out of that grippy stainless steel, it just ends up producing drag.  Try decreasing the blade angle just a bit, and I think you'll notice less drag.

75 2,321
 08-16-2015, 03:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried so many ways and none seemed to work. I will try it again using your suggestion.

19 618
 08-16-2015, 04:23 AM
User Info
The razors you mention for comparison are VERY different from the Mongoose in that they have far less surface area to contend with and therefore glide more easily at differing blade angles.  I grabbed a couple of the razors you mentioned and took a few of photos to demonstrate blade angles and potential surface area contact with the face.... I think the photos demonstrate the problem well, the Mongoose just has a TON of surface area compared to the other razors.
Try gliding the Mongoose across your face without a blade in it and without any lather, at differing angles.  You will notice the varying angles produce more or less drag dependent upon the amount of the blade cap that comes into contact with the skin.  The problem is friction and the solution is consistent, proper blade angulation to reduce the friction. Have fun experimenting!
[Image: 2FutooQ.jpg][Image: INdNn1Y.jpg][Image: phy7R75.jpg]

75 2,321
 08-16-2015, 04:43 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
(08-16-2015, 04:23 AM)merkur man Wrote: The razors you mention for comparison are VERY different from the Mongoose in that they have far less surface area to contend with and therefore glide more easily at differing blade angles.  I grabbed a couple of the razors you mentioned and took a few of photos to demonstrate blade angles and potential surface area contact with the face.... I think the photos demonstrate the problem well, the Mongoose just has a TON of surface area compared to the other razors.
Try gliding the Mongoose across your face without a blade in it and without any lather, at differing angles.  You will notice the varying angles produce more or less drag dependent upon the amount of the blade cap that comes into contact with the skin.  The problem is friction and the solution is consistent, proper blade angulation to reduce the friction. Have fun experimenting!
[Image: 2FutooQ.jpg][Image: INdNn1Y.jpg][Image: phy7R75.jpg]

This helps a ton my Mongoose comes in tomorrow and I had not thought about it being a much different angle, guess I'm in for an adventure

16 792
 08-16-2015, 05:34 AM
User Info
Very nice scientific analysis Nathan! Like it a lot. Makes perfect sense. I also had an issue with the satin version dragging. I really loved the look and wanted to keep it but after a number of uses I realized that it's the razor and not me. Didn't have the same issue with the polished as much. Like you said it was my angle, as soon as I adjusted it to the correct angle vey little friction was noticed. The razor is a really great razor but the large contact surface area (also very heavy head) is a design flow IMO.

14 482
 08-16-2015, 06:57 AM
User Info
If the razor head is causing you friction, it could be a result of a bit too much pressure - even if that pressure is coming from the weight of the razor instead of the hand.

0 50
 08-16-2015, 07:00 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I had the same problem in the beginning with my Satin Mongoose.  As Nathan said it is a matter of using the correct angle.  I will say that I've found the Mongoose to perform best with a thinner slicker lather.  YMMV

7 1,283
 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
proper angle + thin/slick lather = success

102 18,669
 08-16-2015, 07:11 AM
User Info
(08-16-2015, 07:01 AM)Agravic Wrote: proper angle + thin/slick lather = success

This! When I use my mongoose I add a tad more water to my lather and have no problems with drag. I own the satin head.

82 2,252
 08-16-2015, 07:30 AM
User Info
Ive had no issue with drag on either finishes. Everybody's right above, all about the proper angle and pressure. Once you find the sweet spot the razor is butter smooth.

28 777
 08-16-2015, 10:05 AM
User Info
Thanks everybody for your feedback, it is sincerely appreciated and really feel your caring advice..

19 618
 08-16-2015, 01:10 PM
User Info
I read in the FB someone reporting this problem. Since no one had that same concern, I thought it was an isolated case, but I see that should not be. Many people who don't like the Mongoose should have this same problem.

Follow the advice above doing a little fine-tuning between Angle, Pressure and Lather. You will be very excited about the result

Mongoose IMO is one of the best razor you can find. I love mine  Smile

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 08-16-2015, 06:09 PM
User Info
I'll add this, even though it's likely not very helpfulSmile I never would have believed the satin vs polished variance. I bought a B3 satin right from Mongoose and it was ok, didn't rock my world so I moved it on. Saw a polished pop up in BST and figured what the heck, I'll give it a whirl. Polished certainly moves along better on my face, and as a result, I keep a more consistent angle and get a better shave. Not knocking satin by any means, a shaver with better technique than me likely would have absolutely zero issue, but polished worked better for me and it is a permanent keeper.

55 923
 08-17-2015, 06:58 AM
User Info
(08-16-2015, 07:30 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Ive had no issue with drag on either finishes. Everybody's right above, all about the proper angle and pressure. Once you find the sweet spot the razor is butter smooth.

I have the B3 satin, and I haven't had a problem.

1 58
 08-17-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
I used mine again this am. I own the satin head. I face lathered and again made a slightly wetter thinner lather (but stayed very stable) and had no problems. I DID do a test swipe with drier lather that did look ok and had some resistance. The lather had great volume and looked very dense. But wasn't as hydrated and lacked the sheen I look for with slick lather. I add water in very slowly starting with a drier brush. I don't rush building it. I learned early on that soap can take more water than I thought and will hydrate past where I thought it was "good". Now I add water a couple drops at a time and don't get air bubbles or break down.

All that said no problems here with the mongoose in satin with very hydrated lather .

82 2,252
 08-17-2015, 10:08 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have a satin one and never noticed any drag at all.

28 1,449
 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM
User Info
I have a satin B2 and polished "B3" and I always have a nice shave  Smile    and my neck is very sensitive, but with the Mongoose this problem disappears.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
 08-17-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
(08-17-2015, 01:15 PM)hrfdez Wrote: [Image: 4V9qEza.jpg] 24  I am not sure if it was the Satin or the Polished.

61 3,796