06-24-2012, 06:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
When I first started reading the English speaking wet shaving forums, back in 2008,there was a common "belief" that shaving creams were more nourishing,hence better for dry skin and soaps were more suitable for normal/oily skin.

I never found that to be true,actually,since I have a very dry skin and Im a shaving soap guy.Of course,in all this time,I have found excellent shaving creams that really take care of my dry skin,during and after the shave,but I find shaving soaps better performers,when Im talking about skin care wise properties.I also found that some shaving creams did dry out my skin much more than shaving soaps,and GFT shaving cream is a fine example of that.

What are your experiences?Do you think that shaving creams are more suitable for dry skin or the other way around?

86 7,124
 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM
User Info
Short answer ...no to either. I personally believe that after shave skin care with a moisturizer is better than any soap or cream can provide, even for oily skin. I picked up this habit from my Dad and Grandfather who used to filch their wives Nivea cream to use after their shave. Some soaps and creams have trace oils to help moisturize but it is not enough. This is more true the older you get and your skin thins and loses it's elasticity.

2 697
 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
User Info
Well, no.

Inexpensive creams or soaps both lack skin care items IMO, and the higher priced soaps have them. I don't know about high priced creams since I don't have any.

32 6,311
 06-24-2012, 11:06 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
All I can share is (limited) experience: I believe that the Arlington soap os much better for me than the Arlington cream. I have a little psoriasis and dry skin, so I'm always looking for something that aggravates that as little as possible.

1 290
 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My TOBS cream was pretty unremarkable where my skin was concerned, Spencer & Devon is very nourishing.

Arko and Mama Bear soaps can be drying if I use too much soap and not enough water. Arlington soap and RazoRock King Louis Lavender are great for my skin.

It's all down to the individual soap, IMO.

10 1,858
 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
User Info
(06-24-2012, 08:23 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Short answer ...no to either. I personally believe that after shave skin care with a moisturizer is better than any soap or cream can provide, even for oily skin. I picked up this habit from my Dad and Grandfather who used to filch their wives Nivea cream to use after their shave. Some soaps and creams have trace oils to help moisturize but it is not enough. This is more true the older you get and your skin thins and loses it's elasticity.

This is the best answer you're gonna get.
No soap or cream will moisturize your skin, that isn't what their job. A/S and /or a balm or lotion is the best way to go.

Most of the soaps I've used when rinsed away have left my skin dry. Soap breaks down oil and washes them away, so it you have oily skin, it's probably a better choice, just don't count on it to add any moisture to your skin. Cream doesn't remove oils--at least the ones I've used--and usually leave yor skin slightly oily. A/S remove that excess, but you need something to help lock in the moisture--a balm or lotion is designed to do do that.

If there were no such thing as A/S, I would use a cream over a soap--better slightly oily than dry.

9 451
 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-24-2012, 11:06 PM)Persius Wrote: All I can share is (limited) experience: I believe that the Arlington soap os much better for me than the Arlington cream. I have a little psoriasis and dry skin, so I'm always looking for something that aggravates that as little as possible.

The same here : the soap works much better than the shaving cream,and my skin is very,very dry.

(06-25-2012, 07:42 AM)Songwind Wrote: My TOBS cream was pretty unremarkable where my skin was concerned, Spencer & Devon is very nourishing.

Arko and Mama Bear soaps can be drying if I use too much soap and not enough water. Arlington soap and RazoRock King Louis Lavender are great for my skin.

It's all down to the individual soap, IMO.

Yes,its all about how the cream have been formulated (ingredients used) : while some of them could be very nourishing other could dry out my skin and make it feel like the Sahara desert on a hot day.

86 7,124
 06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
User Info
I'm always momentarily taken aback when customers at the market ask me 'What is your most moisturizing soap?" because I want to say that soap isn't meant to be moisturizing, it's meant to remove dirt. But I know what they mean and I just rephrase it: "Which is the least drying soap?" It's the formulation and additives that are important.

You're better off thinking in terms of finding the least drying cream or soap you can and then using a little moisturizer or balm to soothe the skin and add a little oil back. That holds even for oily skin, because if you clean it too well, your body will over-produce oils to protect the skin.

0 225
 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
For me i leave my skin care to other products like cleansers and moisturizers, from freezing winters to hot as heck summer my skin goes from dry to oily depending on the time of year, so i have a couple of products that help in either case, and leave my soap/cream to she shaving, although aftershave products can do a fine job themselves.

I do find it interesting how often people talk about how well their soap/cream does at leaving there skin moisturized then saying that they used an ASB after, how does one know if its the ASB or the soap/cream ?, am actually interested in this as i feel a bit silly sometimes, when i get a new product i will skip the asb, or lotion to see how it does... then after i see i go back to using an ASB/AS anyway, in some cases im not sure i need the stuff at all, in others i do just not sure why i test it one way and use it another

with your better skin care soaps do you skip the aftercare products ?

3 748
 06-26-2012, 07:29 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I've had good luck with my GFT (coconut) and TOBS creams (Rose & Avocado). For me those all 3 are some of my "least drying" products. In fact, though of course not true but will get my point across, I'm not sure I could love a human baby as much as I love my TOBS rose. Everything else always seems to fall short.

0 353
 06-26-2012, 08:39 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 01:41 PM)syngent Wrote: For me i leave my skin care to other products like cleansers and moisturizers, from freezing winters to hot as heck summer my skin goes from dry to oily depending on the time of year, so i have a couple of products that help in either case, and leave my soap/cream to she shaving, although aftershave products can do a fine job themselves.

I do find it interesting how often people talk about how well their soap/cream does at leaving there skin moisturized then saying that they used an ASB after, how does one know if its the ASB or the soap/cream ?, am actually interested in this as i feel a bit silly sometimes, when i get a new product i will skip the asb, or lotion to see how it does... then after i see i go back to using an ASB/AS anyway, in some cases im not sure i need the stuff at all, in others i do just not sure why i test it one way and use it another

with your better skin care soaps do you skip the aftercare products ?

Yes, I do this too. I'll go without my beloved Krampert's Finest to see how my skin feels post shave from the lather only. I have a couple where I'm quite comfortable skipping on the KF, but typically I'll still use the AS so I'm as healthy as possible with my skin after just having drug a blade across my skin. Some lathers dry me out so much that I want to add some AS in between passes. Shok

31 7,914