08-16-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
I was thinking about aftershaves the other day after reading this thread and back when I was young, Late 60's. Everyone I knew was using English Leather AS, English Leather soap on a rope, anyone remember that, and Hai Karate. Frye boots, mini and midi skirts that the girls wore. My Dad always used the original Yardleys and I used that too.  I'm sure the formulations have changed for the ones still in production. Just reminiscing and wondering if anyone else was using them back then.  I think soap on a rope is probably gone for good though. Tongue

2 226
 08-16-2015, 04:51 PM
User Info
(08-16-2015, 04:17 PM)Charlie NEPA Wrote: I was thinking about aftershaves the other day after reading this thread and back when I was young, Late 60's. Everyone I knew was using English Leather AS, English Leather soap on a rope, anyone remember that, and Hai Karate. Frye boots, mini and midi skirts that the girls wore. My Dad always used the original Yardleys and I used that too.  I'm sure the formulations have changed for the ones still in production. Just reminiscing and wondering if anyone else was using them back then.  I think soap on a rope is probably gone for good though. Tongue

Everything can still be found in abundance! I used the English Leather when I first started shaving. Never used Yardley though. A number of places still carry soap on a road. Saw it the other day at bed, bath, & beyond lol.

147 3,461
 08-16-2015, 04:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The various leather colognes are actually descended from finishing dressings used for harness and saddle making. The idea was to impart a pleasant smell to mask all the harsh ones generated in tanning.   You can still get soap on a rope, some very nice ones. Bill Cosby, who had a routine about soap on a rope is himself on the ropes today.

2 3,171
 08-16-2015, 05:12 PM
User Info
(08-16-2015, 04:52 PM)kav Wrote: The various leather colognes are actually descended from finishing dressings used for harness and saddle making. The idea was to impart a pleasant smell to mask all the harsh ones generated in tanning.   You can still get soap on a rope, some very nice ones. Bill Cosby, who had a routine about soap on a rope is himself on the ropes today.

Well I do have some Lexol! Don't know if I want to slap some on though. Freddie, good to know they still make soap on a rope, you don't want to drop the soap! Tongue

2 226