08-16-2015, 08:34 PM
User Info
I LUV  the scent of Taylors of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shave Cream. I was wondering if any of you all have tried any brand of Sandalwood aftershave or cologne and if so what is your rating? Any bargain Sandalwood scents out there?

1 52
 08-16-2015, 09:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Real sandalwood is very expensive. The best cologne is Meehan Sandalwood Cologne. In terms of an aftershave balm, I enjoy AOS Sandalwood. If you want bargain prices, Saint Charles Shave has a Sandalwood balm and splash.

38 5,198
 08-17-2015, 03:59 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
If you like the scent of TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream, why not go with their Sandalwood aftershave?  I really like my TOBS Sandalwood aftershave and it's well priced to boot.

7 934
 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM
User Info
I personally found the TOBS AS flowery and not at all sandalwood-y. I know because I purchased 1 dram (or whatever the smallest quantity is) of real Sandalwood so I'd know what the real thing smells like.

NOTHING smells like the real thing. Nothing. Heck, the closest is actually my Starbucks fragrance, but yeah, nothing smells like the real thing. The closest we get is cedar wood based mostly wood blends.

We can smell the real thing in truly expensive EDP's such as Green Irish Tweed in the dry down. It's the scent that lasts the longest.

9 3,038
 08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
User Info
D.R. Harris and Geo F Trumper both have sandalwood aftershaves, though they're not what I would necessarily call a bargain.

Also, Truefitt & Hill have a sandalwood cologne. Some people would call that pricey too, but I don't think the T&H colognes are too outrageously expensive for what you get.

0 40
 08-17-2015, 11:41 PM
User Info
bought the Tobs sandalwood cologne a few days ago...BIG THUMBS DOWN Facepalm smells sweeter than the cream but the scent completely wears off within less than 1 minute' not happy - was expecting the cologne scent to last longer but its the shortest life of any aftershave/cologne i've ever used, £23 down the drain & they expect us to pay another £6.50 for the spray attachment.

0 26
 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
Stirling Soap has a sandalwood aftershave that is really nice, probably my favorite sandalwood scent I've tried.

0 143
 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-17-2015, 11:41 PM)juicy flawless Wrote: bought the Tobs sandalwood cologne a few days ago...BIG THUMBS DOWN Facepalm smells sweeter than the cream but the scent completely wears off within less than 1 minute' not happy - was expecting the cologne scent to last longer but its the shortest life of any aftershave/cologne i've ever used, £23 down the drain & they expect us to pay another £6.50 for the spray attachment.

I can't say that I've had this problem with TOBS Sandallwood aftershave.  I don't find the scent too sweet, but I do find that it lasts most of the day.

7 934
 08-18-2015, 01:03 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(08-16-2015, 09:06 PM)evnpar Wrote: Real sandalwood is very expensive. The best cologne is Meehan Sandalwood Cologne. In terms of an aftershave balm, I enjoy AOS Sandalwood. If you want bargain prices, Saint Charles Shave has a Sandalwood balm and splash.

Save yourself a lot of time & money and listen to Richard.  He knows his stuff!

169 1,424
 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
agree with Richard  aos sandlewood balm is great.  keep it just to the left of my computer and use it all the time.  love the smell.

76 1,331
 08-18-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
Haven't used the AOL balm, but I do enjoy their Sandalwood cologne

0 50
 08-21-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
(08-17-2015, 11:41 PM)juicy flawless Wrote: bought the Tobs sandalwood cologne a few days ago...BIG THUMBS DOWN Facepalm smells sweeter than the cream but the scent completely wears off within less than 1 minute' not happy - was expecting the cologne scent to last longer but its the shortest life of any aftershave/cologne i've ever used, £23 down the drain & they expect us to pay another £6.50 for the spray attachment.

I had heard that it didn't last, too, before I bought it.  I found that it did last, but gave me anosmia (deadened my sense of smell).  What I did was to put some on my arm before I went to sleep, then took a whiff in the morning.  The scent was there!  I give you that it is sweet; perhaps that is why I like it so much.

3 543
 08-21-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
Have not tried Meehan's; would like to some day.  But another one to consider is Caswell-Massey Sandalwood Cologne.  A nice sandalwood scent, but, as pointed out above, nothing beats the real (and expensive) thing.

3 543
 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
Thanks to the Tallow AOS Sandalwood soap, I got interested in Sandalwood scented EDC or EDT and just purchased La Toja EDT Splash, described as Citrus and Wood, and Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden, EDC Spray.  I'll  post my thoughts once they arrive & are worn a few times, if you've tried either or both, an opinion would be greatly appreciated.

1 181
 08-21-2015, 07:06 PM
User Info
(08-17-2015, 12:15 PM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: I personally found the TOBS AS flowery and not at all sandalwood-y. I know because I purchased 1 dram (or whatever the smallest quantity is) of real Sandalwood so I'd know what the real thing smells like.

NOTHING smells like the real thing. Nothing. Heck, the closest is actually my Starbucks fragrance, but yeah, nothing smells like the real thing. The closest we get is cedar wood based mostly wood blends.

We can smell the real thing in truly expensive EDP's such as Green Irish Tweed in the dry down. It's the scent that lasts the longest.

I have Gentleman's Hangar sandalwood shaving cream and Stirling sandalwood shaving soap and both smell very nice, however Gentleman's Hangar does not perform too good imo. The scents on those two products are nothing alike, which is why I would like to order a dram like WSP above did to find out what it really smells like.

Brambleberry has a 5/8 dram for $9.50 and it is pure steam distilled sandalwood essential oil from Australia. That's actually a good price from what I've seen elsewhere. I wonder if any artisans besides Creed use real sandalwood EO.

13 947
 08-22-2015, 11:17 AM
User Info
Yes. Perfume houses the world 'round use the real deal. It's a very popular ingredient, hence the astronomic prices even though modern farming is able to supply the world with a reliable and allegedly sustainable source for sandalwood.

That said, unless it's $300 retail for 4 ounces of EDP, don't expect to find much of it in the formula. By my guess, perfumes are marked up 800-1,000% from the total cost to make it. So that $50 bottle of juice probably only costs $3 - $5 to make including the glass.

9 3,038
 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
St. James Sandalwood and Bergamot soap/AS/Cologne are really great smelling. highly suggested. $36 for the cologne 

WSP makes a very true Sandalwood Cologne (EdP) for 25 bucks. I dont know how it performs but the price is right for a blind buy

0 517
 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM
User Info
Art Of Shaving Sandalwood Essential Oil Eau de Toilette pump spray.  Creamy and smooooooth.  I use it after shaving with Proraso Red.

1 230
 09-16-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 11:59 AM)IvanCro70 Wrote: Stirling Soap has a sandalwood aftershave that is really nice, probably my favorite sandalwood scent I've tried.

I too, really like Stirling's sandalwood.  Has a good longevity too.

15 404
 10-08-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
AOS sandalwood is great, as is Truefitt & Hill ($$$$$).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 391