06-24-2012, 08:31 PM
User Info
What a surprise it was to find that the old Hoffritz branded Merkur slant was a better shaver. I now understand why some people don't like the 37C.

The quality of the razor is great and I do enjoy shaving with a 'new' slant, but I must admit that the old Hoffritz is a smoother, closer, more comfortable and less aggressive version of the slant.

Some quick notes on the 37C compared to the vintage version:
Noticeably more aggressive.
Larger gap between the bar and cap.
Thicker bar.
Slightly taller shave head.

When shaving with the 37C I can feel a little more of the blade, but it's not shaving as close as the old model. The increase in blade exposure makes for a less comfortable and a bit rougher shave. I was nearly bitten twice by the 37C, something the Hoffritz never did in more than 2 years of shaving with it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 37C and it does shave excellent--I even shaved my head with it. I also let 2 of my nephews ( 19 & 22 yrs old ) shave with it and only the experienced DE shaver and cocky one finished with a weeper, his younger brother had no issues at all and he never tried a DE in his life. It was either beginners luck or the fact that he did exactly what I told him. If my nephews can walk away without nicks and a DFS, it must be a damn fine razor.

On a side note, I have a barbicide jar and the razor was sanitized between shaves and each of them had a fresh blade. I don't want to sound like I'm just passing it around. LOL

9 451
 06-27-2012, 06:09 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 08:31 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: What a surprise it was to find that the old Hoffritz branded Merkur slant was a better shaver. I now understand why some people don't like the 37C.

The quality of the razor is great and I do enjoy shaving with a 'new' slant, but I must admit that the old Hoffritz is a smoother, closer, more comfortable and less aggressive version of the slant.

Some quick notes on the 37C compared to the vintage version:
Noticeably more aggressive.
Larger gap between the bar and cap.
Thicker bar.
Slightly taller shave head.

When shaving with the 37C I can feel a little more of the blade, but it's not shaving as close as the old model. The increase in blade exposure makes for a less comfortable and a bit rougher shave. I was nearly bitten twice by the 37C, something the Hoffritz never did in more than 2 years of shaving with it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 37C and it does shave excellent--I even shaved my head with it. I also let 2 of my nephews ( 19 & 22 yrs old ) shave with it and only the experienced DE shaver and cocky one finished with a weeper, his younger brother had no issues at all and he never tried a DE in his life. It was either beginners luck or the fact that he did exactly what I told him. If my nephews can walk away without nicks and a DFS, it must be a damn fine razor.

On a side note, I have a barbicide jar and the razor was sanitized between shaves and each of them had a fresh blade. I don't want to sound like I'm just passing it around. LOL
I use a Coles NY Slant Razor which I think is a rebranded Merkur. I just started using it an I love it. I did get some nicks the first few times I used it but since then smooth and efficient shave. I have never tried the 37C. Would the Hoffritz be similar to the Coles? I see the Hoffritz slants on ebay ?

19 414
 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
User Info
In my opinion, the 37c is the easiest of all razors to use because the angle of attack, you can almost hold it as you would a cartridge. Only one trick is need, no pressure!

I would definitely recommend a slant to a newbie.

3 315
 06-27-2012, 10:16 AM
User Info
(06-27-2012, 09:28 AM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: In my opinion, the 37c is the easiest of all razors to use because the angle of attack, you can almost hold it as you would a cartridge. Only one trick is need, no pressure!

I would definitely recommend a slant to a newbie.

What is this "cartridge" device you speak of??Tongue

9 1,199
 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
User Info
Joe, the Coles is also made by Merkur and more than likely exactly the same as my Hoffritz.

Merkur, Pomco, Coles, Hoffritz and Liese are all the same. I believe Lunawerk & Chessman were also made by Merkur. Hoffritz razors are the easiest of the vintage slants to find, oddly it's not very common to find an actual Merkur. I've seen a few, but they weren't as old as the Coles, Pomco, Hoffritz, etc... They had the scalloped head caps; which I believe were a new design that started in the 80's.

9 451
 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I have a cased Hoffritz and this Gold one branded "BRUMML SAUSALITO - CALIF. WEST GERMANY"
The pic doesn't do the Gold justice. It's very bright and shiny. Came with a pale leather drawstring pouch with a blade pocket
[Image: 2012-06-27_15-06-47_374.jpg]

5 270
 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(06-27-2012, 01:38 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: Joe, the Coles is also made by Merkur and more than likely exactly the same as my Hoffritz.

Merkur, Pomco, Coles, Hoffritz and Liese are all the same. I believe Lunawerk & Chessman were also made by Merkur. Hoffritz razors are the easiest of the vintage slants to find, oddly it's not very common to find an actual Merkur. I've seen a few, but they weren't as old as the Coles, Pomco, Hoffritz, etc... They had the scalloped head caps; which I believe were a new design that started in the 80's.

Thanks for all the information. The razors look similar so I figured one company had to manufacture them. I do like the vintage slants.

19 414
 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information, John.

75 20,883
 06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(06-27-2012, 02:08 PM)xraygun Wrote: I have a cased Hoffritz and this Gold one branded "BRUMML SAUSALITO - CALIF. WEST GERMANY"
The pic doesn't do the Gold justice. It's very bright and shiny. Came with a pale leather drawstring pouch with a blade pocket
[Image: 2012-06-27_15-06-47_374.jpg]
Looks good. I saw the a picture you posted of your Hoffritz case and razor. Very nice. Love that chrome and blue case!

19 414
 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
Ray, that Brumml (Beau Brummel, Brummel Werk?) is very nice. The bar design is awesome. I've looked for them in the past, but never found one. It looks to be in great condition. I'm drooling a bit. LOL

9 451
 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
A poorly worded, un-knowledgeable, horribly photographed ebay listing enabled me to obtain that.
They practically spelled "Gold" wrong.

5 270
 06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
(06-28-2012, 11:52 AM)xraygun Wrote: A poorly worded, un-knowledgeable, horribly photographed ebay listing enabled me to obtain that.
They practically spelled "Gold" wrong.

I intentionally look for horrible spelling, some times it leads to cool razors that maybe a lot of people haven't seen. Good score either way, it's not an easy razor to find.

9 451
 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
a search for "old gillete raser" is one of my favs.

5 270
 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
All I do is put in the minus symbol before the correct spelling. My typical search parameters looks like this:
vintage razor -straight -gillette -gem -schick -ever -enders -christy -star -russian -soviet -curvfit -kewtie -rolls -auto -valet -electric -stahly -ronson
-anything you don't want to see... But you do end up seeing straights and a lot of blade packs, but if you -blade(s) you'll exclude a lot of razors.
It's a lot to type in, so I just made a simple notepad text file to save my search parameters in.

9 451