08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have a few badger brushes, from cheap Pure to Simpson Best and TGN Finest.

But the majority of my brushes are either low end Pure, or restores of vintage brushes that I have done with TGN knots.
And guess what? From all of those grades of knots I have mentioned, I love every one of them. From the stiffest, most densely packed to the floppiest, moppish ones. They all have their good and bad points, but for me, on a soft croap or cream, the floppy ones are special. I might not choose them for hard soaps(although I do from time to time, still with excellent results), but they excell with creams and croaps, and feel soft and pillowy on the face.
But my experience with brushes doesn't extend to l lot of the higher brand brushes, just my restores, so I have no frame of reference to compare them to.
I know that there are members here who love these softer, floppier brushes, because over the 18 months I've been wetshaving I have read the posts.
What are some of the more loved "floppy" or "moppy" type brands? I would like to see some of the better quality brands represented, but price isn't the only consideration here. If you have a soft, floopy brush that you love, whatever the price or brand, please post a picture, tell me why you love it, what brand, etc?
This is my favorite flopper.
Ever Ready 500 PBT with a TGN 18mm Finest F2. Soak it, and it falls over like a champ, lol. But it works beautifully on everything from triple milled soaps to creams, and feels incredible on my face.
[Image: 100_2174.JPG]

2 1,683
 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
Floppy has an undeserved bad reputation among brush aficionados.  Not everyone enjoys dense brushes with serious backbone, or wants an exfoliating scrub from a shaving brush.  A floppy brush can be pillowy soft on the face and, due to less density, very good at creating and releasing lather.  For me, the most loved floppy brush is the Vulfix 2236.

48 5,719
 08-17-2015, 02:08 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Floppy is in the eye of the beholder.  I have several brushes that are often described as being floppy or mop-like on wet shaving forums, but to me they are not.  Specifically, the Kent BKs, Vulfix, Edwin Jäger silvertips and VP Leonhardy premium silvertips.  I've seen the Simpson Colonel best, the TGN 2-band finest and shavemac 3-band silvertip described as floppy

5 883
 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
Don't let Rodney Neep see this thread. His floppy badgers are perfection.

36 886
 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I just can't do floppy.  I've owned some beauties too, but since I face lather I require a certain amount of feedback to enjoy the experience.  I have yet to meet a 2-band brush which I would consider floppy though, so my threshold of flop might be higher than I thought.

139 2,677
 08-17-2015, 02:57 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
My favorite brushes tend to be on the floppy side. 
Vulfix 377 in Silvertip and Kent Bk4 or Bk8. Great brushes. 
I like some backbone but abhor scritch so scrubby is out.

7 444
 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM
User Info
Whipped dog 30mm silvertip at standard loft. Smile , the thing is ridiculously big and floppy as can be. Something about being able to lather with 1 1/2 strokes though.

3 1,356
 08-17-2015, 04:15 PM
User Info
Bowl latherers tend to enjoy floppy brushes more than face latherers do. 

I hate floppy brushes.
But I enjoy soft brushes with soft tips and backbone. Funny enough such brushes with soft tips and backbone are the most expensive ones.

If you want a floppy brush I recommend the Kent B(K)8 3-band

Too floppy for me, but high quality brush. 

Thäter also makes high quality 3-bands in fans that I call floppy and luxurious. Sold all mine. Now only own 3 Thäters, all with backbone and soft tips.

24 5,843
 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I am increasingly fond of the higher loft, fan knot, Thater brushes : relatively floppier than what I'm accustomed to, and soft-tipped.

[Image: Y968wPz.jpg]

102 18,552
 08-17-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
The only floppy brushes I've kept is my Kent BK8 + 12, but i love to use it for bowl lathering the handle style is perfect for this type of lathering in my opinion and it feels pretty good on the face as well, the 12 has the amusement factor since its so substantial, i only need a few swirls/strokes to cover my face with lather Biggrin

[Image: lJffx9x.jpg]

7 783
 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thanks for all the responses!
Ravi, beautiful brushes!

2 1,683
 08-18-2015, 03:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mike,

Knowing the size brushes you like, I would say the Kent BK4 would be the best brush for you. It had to be one of my all time favorite badger brushes.

[Image: odLiztE.jpg]

175 23,752
 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Johnny, i just looked that BK4 up. Lovely.

2 1,683
 08-18-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
I have not yet graduated to badger yet (not sure if i ever will) but i do have a vie long peleon that i would consider floppy and i find it releases lather more efficiently than the other boar brushes in my collection. I suppose ot could be due to the difference in fiber. Ive decided im a face latherer but am really enjoing the dense lather i am able to build with the longer lofted horse brush as opposed to the shorter lofted boars...

0 54
 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-18-2015, 11:29 AM)SRNewb Wrote: Johnny, i just looked that BK4 up. Lovely.

The BK4 is a superb brush.  Quintessentially English.

5 883
 08-18-2015, 12:06 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I love all kinds of brushes.  Depends on my mood.  I have the BK4, BK8, BLK12, Vulfix 41, Vulfix 2236, DaVinci Uomo 290 (and more) all of which would be considered "floppy".  While they do not exfoliate like a Manchurian or other two-banders, they do have a velvety soft face feel.  They also can really whip up a lather for multiple passes.  I also really like their flow with the lather.

61 507
 08-18-2015, 12:27 PM
User Info
Floppy and soft has been a characteristic of the classic threeband silvertip brush, and a long long time at that

21 1,175
 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My preference for tall lofted brushes (let's not call them floppy) has resulted in a Plissonization of my den. I find taller lofts allow for an easier creation of perfectly hydrated lather from soaps or creams, they keep the lather off the handle (and off your hand), and they allow a more controlled release of the lather. The perception of floppiness is influenced by the density of the hair in the knot, the amount of water in the knot, the backbone of the hair, and the shape of the knot. I find a tall lofted fan shaped knot seems floppier than a bulb shaped knot.

My go to brands for a taller loft: VP Leonhardy and Plisson. I have no personal experience with Vulfix or the Kent BK series, but it sounds like these deserve a look, too.

Andrew

43 1,698
 09-05-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
(09-05-2015, 06:17 PM)Andrew Wrote: My preference for tall lofted brushes (let's not call them floppy) has resulted in a Plissonization of my den. I find taller lofts allow for an easier creation of perfectly hydrated lather from soaps or creams, they keep the lather off the handle (and off your hand), and they allow a more controlled release of the lather. The perception of floppiness is influenced by the density of the hair in the knot, the amount of water in the knot, the backbone of the hair, and the shape of the knot. I find a tall lofted fan shaped knot seems floppier than a bulb shaped knot.

My go to brands for a taller loft: VP Leonhardy and Plisson. I have no personal experience with Vulfix or the Kent BK series, but it sounds like these deserve a look, too.

Andrew

Are you a 100% face latherer ?

24 5,843
 09-05-2015, 07:23 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I just had another great shave with the badger I posted in the OP.
Lathered Tabac quite wonderfully. Beautiful shave.

2 1,683