06-24-2012, 09:36 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Well, I didn't think I would like these things but I stand corrected. I used one today during my shower. It was much easier than trying to manage a lathering bowl and shave cream.

This stuff lathers like you wouldn't believe. I was greatly surprised. Not only is the lather thick it lasts too!

The smell is different but I don't think it's bad. I know I have smelled this odour before but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

At any rate, this is a great soap stick and it works really well in the shower!

0 396
 06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(06-24-2012, 09:36 PM)uncledave Wrote: Well, I didn't think I would like these things but I stand corrected. I used one today during my shower. It was much easier than trying to manage a lathering bowl and shave cream.

This stuff lathers like you wouldn't believe. I was greatly surprised. Not only is the lather thick it lasts too!

The smell is different but I don't think it's bad. I know I have smelled this odour before but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

To me it smells like Ivory soap. One trick I saw a barber do in a video works for me. He bunched up the brush knot in his hand and rubbed the Arko directly on the brush to make lather.

15 541
 06-24-2012, 09:51 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 09:49 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 09:36 PM)uncledave Wrote: Well, I didn't think I would like these things but I stand corrected. I used one today during my shower. It was much easier than trying to manage a lathering bowl and shave cream.

To me it smells like Ivory soap. One trick I saw a barber do in a video works for me. He bunched up the brush knot in his hand and rubbed the Arko directly on the brush to make lather.

I'll try that next time! Thanks for the tip!

0 396
 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM
User Info
Hmmm...to me, Arko smells exactly like the pink liquid hand soap found in many public restrooms...that beind said..I love arko!
I use it in a superlather....I wet my brush and load it direct onto the brush, hold the knot and rubbing th Arko into the bristles, I then add what ever cream of the day I'm going to use....

I love it with C.O. Bigelow cream and AoS Sandalwood....the lather is thick, creamy and has a synergistic effet with my creams...LOVE IT!!!

*note
Lately I have smashed my arko in a mug and use a slightly damp brush to load.....works easily!

0 66
 06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:10 PM)bluesbishop Wrote: Hmmm...to me, Arko smells exactly like the pink liquid hand soap found in many public restrooms...that beind said..I love arko!
I use it in a superlather....I wet my brush and load it direct onto the brush, hold the knot and rubbing th Arko into the bristles, I then add what ever cream of the day I'm going to use....

I love it with C.O. Bigelow cream and AoS Sandalwood....the lather is thick, creamy and has a synergistic effet with my creams...LOVE IT!!!

*note
Lately I have smashed my arko in a mug and use a slightly damp brush to load.....works easily!

THAT'S IT!! It smells exactly like the pink hand soap that used to be found in the restrooms of service stations! Man, I would never have remembered if you hadn't said that.

0 396
 06-25-2012, 04:06 AM
User Info
Although some do not care for the scent, Arko lathers like a champ.

14 211
 06-25-2012, 05:03 AM
User Info
I'm glad you like it. Figured you would. Smile

0 214
 06-25-2012, 06:48 AM
User Info
Arko is a great soap almost foolproof. Glad you figured out the stick. It is the easiest way to shave in the shower.

2 697
 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM
User Info
I love Arko!

0 433
 06-25-2012, 07:41 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Hey Uncle Dave, I bought the small Brut push up stick (2 oz) and pushed out the stick, removed it off the base holder, scraped the base holder over our trash can (keeps rubish smelling fine!), and washed the base and holder throroughly.

I dried parts, fastened the Arko to the base plate (push carefully), and reassembled the base plate into the holder.. and it has a cap that comes with the stick! worked out well Biggrin easy to haul into the shower too!

also, the Brut deodorant stick was only $1 at Kroger Cool

9 1,684
 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Arko is a good stick,with such terrible scent.
Wait to try Palmolive,La Toja,Valobra sticks,then you will know what a brilliant stick is!

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I also tried Arko for the first time yesterday after winning a generous PIF from Dave.

Arko was a fantastic performer in the trial run. I do not like the scent so much, it's not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be.

I think it will get a monthly spot in the rotation on performance alone. With all that said it still can't hold a candle to Palmolive stick.

1 111
 06-25-2012, 09:09 AM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:41 AM)gijames Wrote: Hey Uncle Dave, I bought the small Brut push up stick (2 oz) and pushed out the stick, removed it off the base holder, scraped the base holder over our trash can (keeps rubish smelling fine!), and washed the base and holder throroughly.

I dried parts, fastened the Arko to the base plate (push carefully), and reassembled the base plate into the holder.. and it has a cap that comes with the stick! worked out well Biggrin easy to haul into the shower too!

also, the Brut deodorant stick was only $1 at Kroger Cool

I'm going to try that! Thanks for the tip. Biggrin

(06-25-2012, 07:47 AM)Teiste Wrote: Arko is a good stick,with such terrible scent.
Wait to try Palmolive,La Toja,Valobra sticks,then you will know what a brilliant stick is!

Arko worked so well I will definitely try others.

0 396
 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
I really like the Arko stick and it's scent too. I always thought it reminded me of the way hotel towels smell. It does produce a generous lather rather handily.

0 123
 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:47 AM)Teiste Wrote: Arko is a good stick,with such terrible scent.

It WILL air out given enough time. I left the last stick unwrapped for a month or so, then smashed it into an Old Spice mug. The scent was pretty muted by the time I was done with the soap.

12 1,243
 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
I mill the Arko shave stick into a ramekin dish, load my brush on the puck, and either face lather or build lather in a bowl.

An excellent tallow based shaving soap, The Arko citronella scent puts some folks off, but I don't find it objectionable.

0 1,377