06-24-2012, 10:28 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hey all, I'll be heading home to Seattle in two weeks and I'd be curious to know everyone's input on what they think would be a good handful of items to bring home with me. I'll be home for ~45 days, so I don't want to be too skimpy on my selections. I'll be checking a bag, so I can transport blades and aftershaves no problem (except for breaks and such) so I'm not really limited.

I could either ship everything together and hope it arrives without a problem, or take everything with my in my checked and personal baggage on the plain.

I've give a rundown for each section of items below.

Razors Available:
  • Fatboy
  • iKon OSS
  • Merkur 37G
  • EJ DE89 Barley
  • Early Tech
  • Wilkinson Sticky (hopefully)

I'm currently town between choosing just one razor and enjoying the simplicity of using just one, and bringing two to switch between. Either way, I will be carrying the razor with my in my personal carry-on bag on the plane (without any blades of course) so I don't lose it. I plan on making one or two of mikeperry's Altoids tin razor cases for razors without a case.

Brushes:
  • Frank Shaving 25mm Finest
  • SOC Badger
  • Muhle Kosmo Silvertip Fibre
  • Simpsons Duke 2

Like the razors, I'm thinking of bringing two brushes with me to switch between. Obvious first choice would be the Muhle for convenience and superb performance. However, I was considering bringing the two brushes I'm least familiar with, the SOC and the Duke. I've had both for a couple weeks or more and feel as though I haven't been able to reach their full potential, so this would be a good way to really learn their ins and outs. I'm really not enjoying the Feather AS, so hopefully within these next two weeks I can get it sold and find a Sticky to replace it, so that option is up in the air.

Soaps and Creams (heavy/breakable bowls excluded)
  • RR Zi' Peppino
  • RR Chumba Cheech
  • RR Napoleon's Violet
  • Mike's Natural Lime
  • Mike's Natural O/C/P
  • Vitos Red
  • Strop Shoppe Black Tie
  • Speick Stick
  • Speick Cream
  • Palmolive Stick
  • Proraso Sandalwood

Long list with lots to choose from. I excluded soaps without secure fitting lids (MWF, Tabac, and DR Harris) for convenience sake. Before I go further, here's the big kicker; I have a tub of Martin de Candre waiting for me at home (thanks to my mom who picked it up on a recent trip to Paris). I'm thinking I may only bring one other in hopes I could make a good dent in it to make me feel like I'm actually using all the product I own. Strop Shoppe comes to mind, it's a good soap, but not my favorite. I know the soap sticks are great travelers, but I haven't been getting really great lathers from them yet.

Aftershaves:
  • Krampert's Finest
  • Barbasol Pacific Rush

I'm bringing them both, I love them both, they are both in plastic contains that won't break. Aftershaves are easily said and done for, no discussion here. I would have decided on only bringing Krampert's Finest if I hadn't bought the Barbasol earlier this week and realized how fantastic it is. Krampert's, of course for anyone who owns it, is a total no-brainer for this trip, thanks Brian!

Blades are pretty much left unsaid. I've found a couple brands I enjoy, so I'll be bringing a tuck of each (Rapira, Perma-Sharp, Med Preps, and maybe Feathers). This goes back to the potential one razor idea and experimenting with blades, I know I haven't tried all four in every one of my razors yet.

So that's about everything. Lots of options. I'm very curious to read what everything has to say about what items they would bring with them and what they would leave at home. I've outlined a few of my ideas, but I am 100% open to suggestions!

35 1,732
 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I'm not experienced enough to give input on most of your choices but I think I'd take the Fatboy as my razor. Being adjustable it seems to me that it can serve as nine different razors. It's like packing several razors in one.

0 396
 06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:32 PM)uncledave Wrote: I'm not experienced enough to give input on most of your choices but I think I'd take the Fatboy as my razor. Being adjustable it seems to me that it can serve as nine different razors. It's like packing several razors in one.

The Fatboy is probably my favorite of the bunch. It could allow me to try out various settings and get out of my comfort zone at the 3 setting without other distractions.

35 1,732
 06-24-2012, 10:41 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:38 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 10:32 PM)uncledave Wrote: I'm not experienced enough to give input on most of your choices but I think I'd take the Fatboy as my razor. Being adjustable it seems to me that it can serve as nine different razors. It's like packing several razors in one.

The Fatboy is probably my favorite of the bunch. It could allow me to try out various settings and get out of my comfort zone at the 3 setting without other distractions.

Exactly! I use a Slim Adjustable and a Schick Injector. On a trip I'd take the Slim. I started at 3 on my Slim and have worked up to 6 where I stay now. If my face were to get irritated I would only have to dial it back. Adjustables are great for this reason alone.

0 396
 06-24-2012, 10:56 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:41 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 10:38 PM)Tonality Wrote:

Exactly! I use a Slim Adjustable and a Schick Injector. On a trip I'd take the Slim. I started at 3 on my Slim and have worked up to 6 where I stay now. If my face were to get irritated I would only have to dial it back. Adjustables are great for this reason alone.

It's a very solid argument for the Fatboy, the only thing holding me back is that I have had it the longest and know it the best, so part of me want to give the others a chance.

35 1,732
 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
User Info
Im not familiar with your razors enough to comment, but as far as the lather goes.. I tend to pack a brush that dry fast and either a shave stick or some cream in a tube.

3 3,558
 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:56 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 10:41 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 10:38 PM)Tonality Wrote: The Fatboy is probably my favorite of the bunch. It could allow me to try out various settings and get out of my comfort zone at the 3 setting without other distractions.

It's a very solid argument for the Fatboy, the only thing holding me back is that I have had it the longest and know it the best, so part of me want to give the others a chance.

In that case, pack em all! That's what I would do. They don't weigh enough to cause a problem.

0 396
 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-24-2012, 11:00 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Im not familiar with your razors enough to comment, but as far as the lather goes.. I tend to pack a brush that dry fast and either a shave stick or some cream in a tube.

I can understand the fast drying brush and simple lather idea, but I will have my own bathroom and will be using it for a month and a half, so I should be able to bring along just about any item without a problem.

35 1,732
 06-25-2012, 12:02 AM
User Info
(06-24-2012, 11:03 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 11:00 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Im not familiar with your razors enough to comment, but as far as the lather goes.. I tend to pack a brush that dry fast and either a shave stick or some cream in a tube.

I can understand the fast drying brush and simple lather idea, but I will have my own bathroom and will be using it for a month and a half, so I should be able to bring along just about any item without a problem.

Knowing me, I would have brought an extra suitcase filled with shaving gear in your situation Tongue

3 3,558
 06-25-2012, 04:10 AM
User Info
Razors:
Torquer
Fatboy

Brushes:
SOC
Muhle Silvertip Fibre

Soaps:
Zi' Peppino
Mike's O/C/P

31 7,912
 06-25-2012, 04:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:28 PM)Tonality Wrote: Razors Available:
  • Fatboy

Brushes:
  • SOC Badger
  • Simpsons Duke 2

Soaps and Creams
  • Mike's Natural Lime
  • Mike's Natural O/C/P
  • Speick Cream
  • Palmolive Stick
  • Proraso Sandalwood

Aftershaves:
  • Krampert's Finest
  • Barbasol Pacific Rush

Pack well in a nice box and either ship it UPS or FedEx, second day air to your parents home. Do this two days before you leave and it will be waiting for you when you arrive. Do the same for your return trip home.

173 23,499
 06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I will have it pretty clear :

-Edwin Jagger DE89

-Speick Stick

-Muhle silvertip fibres

-like 10 blades and my fav after shave balm

and enjoy the vacation!

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 07:40 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-25-2012, 04:59 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 10:28 PM)Tonality Wrote: Razors Available:
  • Fatboy

Brushes:
  • SOC Badger
  • Simpsons Duke 2

Soaps and Creams
  • Mike's Natural Lime
  • Mike's Natural O/C/P
  • Speick Cream
  • Palmolive Stick
  • Proraso Sandalwood

Aftershaves:
  • Krampert's Finest
  • Barbasol Pacific Rush

Pack well in a nice box and either ship it UPS or FedEx, second day air to your parents home. Do this two days before you leave and it will be waiting for you when you arrive. Do the same for your return trip home.

You think it would be safer to mail everything than pack it in my luggage?

35 1,732
 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I do. I trust UPS and FedEx a lot more than I do any airline. I've lost to many valuable item flying.

173 23,499
 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 09:35 AM)Johnny Wrote: I do. I trust UPS and FedEx a lot more than I do any airline. I've lost to many valuable item flying.

Same for me.

183 12,002
 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
Depends on your mode of travel Anthony - in general I would trust FedEx and UPS more than the fellows shuffling luggage at an airport. Not that I think they would steal your shaving gear, but I have had so much luggage go missing or get beaten up while flying it's not even funny.

3 3,558
 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Its funny, I must be in the minority, because I've never had bad experiences with my luggage while flying, yet I hear many stories. This is part of the reason I plan on keeping my razor and brushes with me and only packing soaps and aftershaves since they are much more easily replaceable.

35 1,732
 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:40 AM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 04:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: [quote='Tonality' pid='51045' dateline='1340605730']

I agree with Johnny. I have not flown a lot, 3 times in the last 2 years and the airline lost my luggage once out of those 3 times.

(06-25-2012, 07:40 AM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 04:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: Pack well in a nice box and either ship it UPS or FedEx, second day air to your parents home. Do this two days before you leave and it will be waiting for you when you arrive. Do the same for your return trip home.

I agree with Johnny. I have not flown a lot, 3 times in the last 2 years and the airline lost my luggage once out of those 3 times.

0 539
 06-25-2012, 10:18 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Fatboy
Duke
Spieck stick.
done.

5 270
 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
Anthony, good luck choosing your arsenal for your trip.
Keep it limited if you can with one of everything if you can.
Have fun.

75 20,883