06-24-2012, 10:56 PM
User Info
I'm struggling at getting decent shaves on my jaw line area and the lower portions of my neck. regardless of the cream, soap, stick, lathering method, and whichever razors I use (de, se), I seem to ALWAYS get razor burn in the same similar spots.

I think I like the SE razors more because they're usually noisy, which allows me to know if my blade angle is right or not.

my hair growth on my neck is pretty wild: N-S on the top half, S-N on the very lower half, then E-W on my left side and W-E on my right side. above my jaw line is N-S on both sides.

any tips?

40 5,830
 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 10:56 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I'm struggling at getting decent shaves on my jaw line area and the lower portions of my neck. regardless of the cream, soap, stick, lathering method, and whichever razors I use (de, se), I seem to ALWAYS get razor burn in the same similar spots.

I think I like the SE razors more because they're usually noisy, which allows me to know if my blade angle is right or not.

my hair growth on my neck is pretty wild: N-S on the top half, S-N on the very lower half, then E-W on my left side and W-E on my right side. above my jaw line is N-S on both sides.

any tips?

I have the same problem. Here's what works for me. I do three standard passes. This always leaves stubble on my neck in 2 or 3 spots. I lather those places and then without applying any pressure at all I do little short hacking strokes in all directions on those spots. I keep these spots lubricated until I am satisfied. Constant lubrication stops burn for me. I can do as many strokes as I want provided the spot is good and slick and I use no pressure on the razor. Eventually the spots are BBS and I have no irritation.

0 396
 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Mantic59 has a video on some "advanced" techniques of which I have read accounts from people who say they have helped them in trouble spots, maybe it can help you out.

35 1,732
 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-24-2012, 11:00 PM)Tonality Wrote: Mantic59 has a video on some "advanced" techniques of which I have read accounts from people who say they have helped them in trouble spots, maybe it can help you out.

This is the technique I use and mentioned above. The secret for me is to be SURE that I keep the spots wet and slick.

0 396
 06-25-2012, 03:16 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
The reduction in three passes and the blade buff over slickness is the exact same thing that works for me in the tough neck areas.
This works well for me with the Injectors as well which I think that you are partial to Andrew.

I have to remember that *reduction* is the key and not be overly aggressive in one or all of the first three passes to be able to blade buff at the end.
I also have to have excellent lather, good technique and a good blade but you already knew that. Smile

Adding to that, I have to realize that if I'm irritated or inflamed, I need to just leave those spots alone and walk away with a DFS and not go for the BBS.

6 905
 06-25-2012, 03:34 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Morning Andrew!

I find that if I go a few days without shaving, then I better take the extra time for beard reduction with a lube-slick prepped face.

I always hit my neck area last during each pass, because I figure the extra time of the lather softening the hair has got to be best to help fight against irritation.

Overall, I am content to have a very DFS on my neck, and not risk bumps trying to achieve BBS.

9 1,684
 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-25-2012, 03:34 AM)gijames Wrote: I find that if I go a few days without shaving, then I better take the extra time for beard reduction with a lube-slick prepped face.

I always hit my neck area last during each pass, because I figure the extra time of the lather softening the hair has got to be best to help fight against irritation.

Overall, I am content to have a very DFS on my neck, and not risk bumps trying to achieve BBS.

+3 (+1 for each point) Thumbup

23 1,872
 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM
User Info
My jawline was a PITA until I started pulling that area of skin up above the bone. Irritation comes from overdoing it with either too many passes or an aggressive razor. Grab your cheek and pull the skin up above the bone.

As for the lower neck. The hair tends to grow in a few directions, so North & South, East & West won't really be effective. I use X strokes on my entire neck. It works for me, dunno how that would work for you. Just feel around for the direction of the growth and follow it. Once you find figure out what your hair is doing it makes everything much easier.

Good luck.

9 451
 06-25-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:22 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Grab your cheek and pull the skin up above the bone.

I use X strokes on my entire neck.

I use these two techniques as well and get excellent results. However, using cold water for my shaves has eliminated all irritation.

9 1,199
 06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
thanks for the replies so far

(06-25-2012, 07:22 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: My jawline was a PITA until I started pulling that area of skin up above the bone. Irritation comes from overdoing it with either too many passes or an aggressive razor. Grab your cheek and pull the skin up above the bone.

As for the lower neck. The hair tends to grow in a few directions, so North & South, East & West won't really be effective. I use X strokes on my entire neck. It works for me, dunno how that would work for you. Just feel around for the direction of the growth and follow it. Once you find figure out what your hair is doing it makes everything much easier.

Good luck.

what do you mean by x strokes?

40 5,830
 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
Hey Andrew, it sounds like we have similar growth patterns.

For my jawline and neck, I use a lot of buffing, J-Strokes, and X-Strokes. I can even get a BBS from a Tech (although it takes about 20 minutes of shaving).

I typically do a north/south pass on my face, then a south/north pass on my neck for the first pass.

On my 2nd pass, I do a an ear to mouth direction pass, and on my neck, I do from base of neck towards bottom of goatee.

Most of the time I do not do a third complete pass, just the ton of buffing and advanced strokes.

For me the life saver for razor burn as been Alum. Since I started using it in March I have only had razor burn once.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM
User Info
Well, since your probalem is burn rather than a terrible shave...

Use less pressure, or an ultra lather for more skin protection. Never let the blade pass over the skin w/o lather under it. Not even if you think it'll be good.

Burn comes from removing the skin cells down to the nerves. That's what you need to stop doing.

32 6,310
 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
A pre-shave oil, face scrub, or hot towel with lather might help you. When I shave with a DE, SE or straight I always make sure I'm stretching the skin. keep the face as moist as possible, try splashing some water on the face after each pass. I always allow the razor weight do the work with no pressure to prevent any razor burn. A nice adjustable razor might help out also like the schick adjustable razor.

Sometimes I'll do those buffing, J-Strokes in those trouble areas as already mentioned.

This is how I do my passes.

0 197
 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
i would have to agree with some of the suggestions, but less pressure and COLD WATER seems to have help me quite a bit. Good luck, Andrew.

75 20,883
 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
My neck (especially the left side) is a pain. I can do one WTG pass and then the lightest possible touch ATG. I just cannot get smooth without razor burn. It's this way no matter what razor (tech or R41) or what blade (Feather vs a Red Personna) I use.

116 3,804
 06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
Razor burn means you are scraping skin. Usually angle or pressure is the issue. You may want to use a preshave, like Proraso or Noxzema, on the neck and lather over it. I found early on that if you can develop a stroke that carries over the jawline I ended up with a better shave. Mine is a Gillette slide that ends in a J-hook. It starts on the neck and terminates above the jawline. The Jawline and throat hollows are a common spot of irritation. I guess that is why Gillette invented the pivoting head Smile

2 697