08-18-2015, 05:59 AM
User Info
Grrrr....

Im in the market for a Paladin brush and was offered a TSN 2015 LE that was described as like new and  only lathered twice for $250.

40% premium for a used brush... I passed. 

Gotta love flippers.

18 659
 08-18-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 05:59 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: Grrrr....

Im in the market for a Paladin brush and was offered a TSN 2015 LE that was described as like new and  only lathered twice for $250.

40% premium for a used brush... I passed. 

Gotta love flippers.

+1. You know who you are, keep it up and I'd venture to say your few sales will lead to no sales.. I'm all for covering costs of shipping in the sale price but 40%   Dodgy

23 1,385
 08-18-2015, 06:36 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I agree wholeheartedly. Although at the end of the day, very few of us actually know each other I still view the community as friends or at the very least friendly. I don't take advantage of people in that way...

I myself more often give away things (I have never posted on BST to be honest, here or elsewhere). But if I did, it would certainly not be to gain a profit only to break even or take a "used" loss and more oriented to letting someone else try something that I no longer used or did not personally like.

40%?-it is a free market but I hope nobody supports that type of pricing on this or any other item(s).

2 1,180
 08-18-2015, 07:05 AM
User Info
I don't even look at it, I know the usual suspects and won't even bother giving them my money.

All my sales, 99.9% of the time I eat the fees and 100% of the time, I ship Priority with signature confirmation and or insurance, and that's on me.  When I post an item, the price is as low as I'm going to go, but sometimes I may go lower, depending on how the member interacts with me.

I rather help a member that be seen as a greedy SOB.  I don't want to sound like an uppity jerk, but I don't need the money.  I rather gain a friend Biggrin

But what is really bad is when people, knowing is way overpriced, go on the thread and say, "great price"

Having said all that, is not my property, so ask whatever you want.

61 3,796
 08-18-2015, 07:06 AM
User Info
I've thought the same thing about those "prototype" Razorock razors. It is rare and limited production so they must be worth paying $200-300 for something that cost $70 just a week ago. But there certainly is a lot of people that are willing to pay that. As long as there are people that are willing to pay that money and encouraging this practice there will always be "flippers."

18 716
 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 07:05 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I rather help a member that be seen as a greedy SOB. I don't want to sound like an uppity jerk, but I don't need the money. I rather gain a friend Biggrin

I appreciate what you did for me,even if nobody else has a clue what I'm talking about.

As far as the flippers go it get a little aggravating. If your in this hobby to make money and your not a vendor then your in the wrong business IMO. You can only flip for a profit a few times before people get sick of it and your stuck sitting on your item. I mean why take the time and effort to get a limited edition anything just to sell it. Is the profit really worth it? I consider some people on here friends even if we've never met . Me personally I'd take a loss before I make a dollar off a friend.

3 1,356
 08-18-2015, 09:16 AM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 09:11 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 07:05 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I rather help a member that be seen as a greedy SOB.  I don't want to sound like an uppity jerk, but I don't need the money.  I rather gain a friend Biggrin

I appreciate what you did for me,even if nobody else has a clue what I'm talking about.

As far as the flippers go it get a little aggravating. If your in this hobby to make money and your not a vendor then your in the wrong business IMO. You can only flip for a profit a few times before people get sick of it and your stuck sitting on your item. I mean why take the time and effort to get a limited edition anything just to sell it. Is the profit really worth it? I consider some people on here friends even if we've never met . Me personally I'd take a loss before I make a dollar off a friend.
That's what friends are for Biggrin

61 3,796
 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 09:16 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 09:11 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 07:05 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I rather help a member that be seen as a greedy SOB.  I don't want to sound like an uppity jerk, but I don't need the money.  I rather gain a friend Biggrin

That's what friends are for Biggrin

That's right. People also don't realize how much talk happens in private . Some people do a good job of looking out for one another in B/S/T. A few times I've asked about an item to get a PM from members telling me to back off,whether it be they had a less than positive experience, or maybe the member is a known flipper,but it happens.

3 1,356
 08-18-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
TSN LE items should cost a bit less than original price. I've always seen the TSN 2014 LE brushes sell for a percentage less, but I assume the Paladins are quite popular the last 2 years.

33 765
 08-18-2015, 10:29 AM
User Info
Nice to see a thread like this where people agree that this is not gentlemanly behavior. I wish the culprits would read this and change their ways, but I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully, it seems like there are only a few bad apples.

46 1,282
 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 10:29 AM)shevek Wrote: Nice to see a thread like this where people agree that this is not gentlemanly behavior. I wish the culprits would read this and change their ways, but I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully, it seems like there are only a few bad apples.

Hit them where it hurts,their bank account. It would only take a few times of having to sit on an item before it would eventually stop. I know people may really want an item and I know If I really wanted something I might pay a little bit over retail but the people that buy 2 of things to sell one to cover the cost of the entire purchase is wrong IMO. Of course value is only what someone is willing to pay for an item and if both parties are happy then  I guess it's OK then. Personally if someone came to me and said I have xxxx item,but look I fell on hard times and I need to make a little profit for whatever reason fine,give me your PayPal, I have no problem giving back.

3 1,356
 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM
User Info
Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to impose a true boycott on any seller offering an item of perceived value. There will always be someone willing to pay the premium price. Sad but true.  Sad

64 5,180
 08-18-2015, 11:04 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I am not bashing LE items. I have been gifted a few and treasured them. But lets get real. Are they intrinsically superior in anyway beyond quantity? My dream car,a prewar RR; is it less desireable than some pickup truck for sale outside a 7-11 because of a LE badge
in peeling plastic chrome?
I dated a girl who was going to get rich on collectables. She terminated our after class study session when the 24 boxes of unopened Klingon warbird models got crushed under her cheap box spring and mattress.
scalpers should be scalped- with a well used Merkur blade that did duty scraping wallpaper.

2 3,171
 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(08-18-2015, 11:04 AM)kav Wrote: I am not bashing LE items. I have been gifted a few and treasured them. But lets get real. Are they intrinsically superior in anyway beyond quantity? My dream car,a prewar RR; is it less desireable than some pickup truck for sale outside a 7-11 because of a LE badge
in peeling plastic chrome?
I dated a girl who was going to get rich on collectables. She terminated our after class study session when the 24 boxes of unopened Klingon warbird models got crushed under her cheap box spring and mattress.
scalpers should be scalped- with a well used Merkur blade that did duty scraping wallpaper.

Finally, a good use for these crappy blades.

111 19,008
 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I am for friendship prices on the vast majority of shaving items but its up to the seller to determine his price for rare, hard to find items and TSN LE brushes fit the category.  No doubt its hard to fix a price and that's negotiable . Now I don't think those high prices for such items have a place in the BST as  it goes against the spirit of it but offered in other ways to me its fine .

If you want to sell a Cobra Classic in the BST for what you paid $169  or $199 that's wonderful but if the seller goes onto ebay and sells for $450 , fine, seller and buyer have committed no crime and each are satisfied. No breach in the moral solidarity all shaving brothers and sisters owe one another.

The value of TSN LE brushes were bargains new so to me if they hold their value or increase in value that's what  I would expect.  For limited edition items buyers shouldn't expect  to pay the same price as a Omega silvertip offered on the BST. Why do they want the LE in the first place ? Because its a great brush, its a LE , it has other significant value. How can we say we  desire and recognize the unique value of a limited edition item then moan and groan because you pay more accordingly?

When you look at the characteristics of the LE 2015, its maker, its history, butter scotch, Sabini knot , only 103 ever made, then I believe $190 was a bargain price new. I would have expected a much higher price. I don't see how that price depreciates if the brush is lightly used . That these brushes are showing up on the BST or being privately sold I don't think will reflect its status 5 years from now, which will be even higher my guess would be.

15 541
 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
The problem is supply/demand.  As was pointed out earlier, where there is limited supply of a desirable item, the demand will dictate the price.
Is it ungentlemanly behavior to make money from your friends?  You betcha!
Will it continue?  Sadly, yes.

48 2,109
 08-18-2015, 11:46 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Flipping LE items belongs on eBay, or perhaps another forum, but not on TSN.

38 5,888
 08-18-2015, 11:50 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-18-2015, 11:04 AM)kav Wrote: She terminated our after class study session when the 24 boxes of unopened Klingon warbird models got crushed under her cheap box spring and mattress.

kav,

I think the bigger question here is whether you were the one responsible for the mattress collapse? Wink

I'm not surprised that Ken's TSE LE Paladin is being sold for a higher price. It's a rare bird. I have started trading privately, and we tell each other what we've paid for items. If an item is worth more than what we paid, we discuss said item and agree on a price, but we always know what price it initially sold for and the pricing thereafter.

15 694
 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
eBay is for auctions the sky is the limit 

TSN is for sharing at a discount items you may not agree with or don't use enough. I see plenty of good people here selling products they may have used only a few times or not at all for 10 to 20% less than they paid. Far from used up sometimes barely used but still at a significant loss so another member may try it. 

Just my thoughts. I would never expect a friend to pay more than I did.

9 463
 08-18-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
I think in the big picture, the administrators keep a good eye on things like this.

Just beware of whom you are dealing with and you will be fine.  Also, flipping is not even the correct term IMO, flipping is part of collecting, I'll say is more abusive behavior.

61 3,796