08-18-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
I have yet to see anyone sold TSN brush for big profits . At least not posted on BST. As far as limited items goes , no one should make profits . However , we all wanted to recover the damage and some try to recover exact amount paid . Nothing wrong with that . At the end of the day we have to look out for our wallets and make good decisions to limit the loss. At the same time , making friends is priceless .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62 3,086
 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(08-18-2015, 01:18 PM)hrfdez Wrote:  flipping is part of collecting, I'll say is more abusive behavior.

or profiteering. There are far more good people around but there are a few examples of the opposite unfortunately.

2 1,180
 08-18-2015, 01:28 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
It's nice to pass on an item to another member especially if it's a backup and/or an item not being used enough or at all and maybe out of stock. Lord knows we all have well stocked dens and a small loss is fine in my books.

42 1,041
 08-18-2015, 01:29 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 01:26 PM)kwsher Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 01:18 PM)hrfdez Wrote:  flipping is part of collecting, I'll say is more abusive behavior.

or profiteering. There are far more good people around but there are a few examples of the opposite unfortunately.

Agree Cheers

61 3,796
 08-18-2015, 01:32 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-18-2015, 10:44 AM)primotenore Wrote: Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to impose a true boycott on any seller offering an item of perceived value. There will always be someone willing to pay the premium price. Sad but true.  Sad

Yup, that is what makes it work. No buyer no work, simple as that. No sense to get fussed over it.

Bob

0 1,693
 08-18-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 01:25 PM)Cricket203 Wrote: I have yet to see anyone sold TSN brush for big profits . At least not posted on BST.  As far as limited items goes , no one should make profits . However , we all wanted to recover the damage and some try to recover exact amount paid . Nothing wrong with that . At the end of the day we have to look out for our wallets and make good decisions to limit the loss. At the same time , making friends is priceless .

Yea man,

I got an ear full at the *other super big* shaving forum for buying that Wolfman head from you......

And mind you I was the BUYER and we agreed on a reasonable price that was in line with the MSRP...... I can only imagine what the mods said to you over there....

18 659
 08-18-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
One of the biggest things that keep it going is all the new people to wet shaving. I don't mean that in a negative way but most see what everybody has and not knowing any better, is willing to pay a ridiculous price. As has already been stated something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. We have all done it at one time (over paid for that had to own item) but for the most part the majority of us have that rare super power know as common sense. 

One of the things I have really enjoyed with this hobby was finding old grungy razors and making them beautiful (to my eye) and shave worthy again. The majority I have given away and the ones I sold I did so at a loss since I sold for what I paid and then paid for shipping. With the ever increasing mark up on razors I don't get to do that now. It has amazed and saddened me how much price has gone up on both auction sites and antique stores. For a razor that we all know should be found and had for only a few dollars to being priced like a Fatboy is just ridiculous and one of the things that will drive up and coming wet shavers away. How is there money to be saved? It also takes away from a part of the hobby that I enjoyed. 

I have unfortunately crossed paths with some less than reputable sellers on other forums but thankfully have not done so here. All here have been positive. That and the kindness that I've seen bestowed upon members here as well as myself is one of the big things I love about TSN and it's members!

154 3,777
 08-18-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 01:53 PM)GloryUprising Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 01:25 PM)Cricket203 Wrote: I have yet to see anyone sold TSN brush for big profits . At least not posted on BST.  As far as limited items goes , no one should make profits . However , we all wanted to recover the damage and some try to recover exact amount paid . Nothing wrong with that . At the end of the day we have to look out for our wallets and make good decisions to limit the loss. At the same time , making friends is priceless .

Yea man,

I got an ear full at the *other super big* shaving forum for buying that Wolfman head from you......

And mind you I was the BUYER and we agreed on a reasonable price that was in line with the MSRP...... I can only imagine what the mods said to you over there....

I remembered that I lost little bit after PayPal fees and shipping. Now the prices went up , you can flip it :-)

Just kidding

I hope that you are enjoying the amazing Wolfman . I have three :-)

62 3,086
 08-18-2015, 02:22 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 11:46 AM)evnpar Wrote: Flipping LE items belongs on eBay, or perhaps another forum, but not on TSN.
+1

54 4,981
 08-18-2015, 02:35 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 11:46 AM)evnpar Wrote: Flipping LE items belongs on eBay, or perhaps another forum, but not on TSN.

+1 see above guys.  Richard was kind enough to sell me his TSN LE for ZERO markup.

A gentleman and great person..!!

23 1,385
 08-18-2015, 02:38 PM
User Info
Remember to pay it forward when the time comes Biggrin. That's the important part of showing actual kindness.

61 3,796
 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 02:11 PM)Cricket203 Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 01:53 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: I remembered that I lost little bit after PayPal fees and shipping. Now the prices went up , you can flip it :-)

Just kidding

I hope that you are enjoying the amazing Wolfman . I have three :-)

No way man, it's one of my favorite heads + Triad handle!

I have a BBS-1 on order from LA Shaving (before the price increase) and waiting on the Blackbird (I had a good experience with my Rockwell; I love the 4 plate).....

....Are we saving money wet shaving yet? =p

18 659
 08-18-2015, 06:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Not sure if this is relevant to the conversation, but I have 2 cents so here goes... I don't often peruse BST, but when I do one thing that is quite obvious is the lack of name recognition from the more frequented sections of TSN. This is purely anecdotal observation on my part. No formal statistical study was conducted. But it seems that a fair number of folks who advertise their wares on BST are members here only to sell their stuff. A lot of those people don't generally engage in the more "mainstream wetshaving" discussions. They seem to have joined TSN as an alternative to selling on ebay. Should management consider asking sellers to make a donation to TSN after a sale has been consummated? Obviously some will, some won't, but it may help to reduce the behaviors mentioned above.

10 3,314
 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 06:41 PM)chazt Wrote: Not sure if this is relevant to the conversation, but I have 2 cents so here goes... I don't often peruse BST, but when I do one thing that is quite obvious is the lack of name recognition from the more frequented sections of TSN. This is purely anecdotal observation on my part. No formal statistical study was conducted. But it seems that a fair number of folks who advertise their wares on BST are members here only to sell their stuff. A lot of those people don't generally engage in the more "mainstream wetshaving" discussions. They seem to have joined TSN as an alternative to selling on ebay. Should management consider asking sellers to make a donation to TSN after a sale has been consummated? Obviously some will, some won't, but it may help to reduce the behaviors mentioned above.

Good points and observations.  Since you brought up donations, I have donated to TSN for operational expenses.  Every little contribution helps to keep the site running smoothly.  For what I can see, Phil is too humble of a person to ask anybody for donations.  I even found the donation link by chance, it is not something Phil or the moderators go around advertising.

To make people do it, and granted your point is spot on, I just don't see it happening.

I buy more than I sell.  When I sell here is because the people understand what these tools are use for and they will probably appreciate them more than some guy or gal buying on an auction site.

61 3,796
 08-18-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 06:56 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 06:41 PM)chazt Wrote: Not sure if this is relevant to the conversation, but I have 2 cents so here goes... I don't often peruse BST, but when I do one thing that is quite obvious is the lack of name recognition from the more frequented sections of TSN. This is purely anecdotal observation on my part. No formal statistical study was conducted. But it seems that a fair number of folks who advertise their wares on BST are members here only to sell their stuff. A lot of those people don't generally engage in the more "mainstream wetshaving" discussions. They seem to have joined TSN as an alternative to selling on ebay. Should management consider asking sellers to make a donation to TSN after a sale has been consummated? Obviously some will, some won't, but it may help to reduce the behaviors mentioned above.

Good points and observations.  Since you brought up donations, I have donated to TSN for operational expenses.  Every little contribution helps to keep the site running smoothly.  For what I can see, Phil is too humble of a person to ask anybody for donations.  I even found the donation link by chance, it is not something Phil or the moderators go around advertising.

To make people do it, and granted your point is spot on, I just don't see it happening.

I buy more than I sell.  When I sell here is because the people understand what these tools are use for and they will probably appreciate them more than some guy or gal buying on an auction site.

+1 to both and +100 to your final paragraph Hector! I find all of you to be enablers! Stop making my wallet cry! 
Tongue

154 3,777
 08-18-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 07:04 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 06:56 PM)hrfdez Wrote:

+1 to both and +100 to your final paragraph Hector! I find all of you to be enablers! Stop making my wallet cry! 
Tongue
Thanks Freddie, no promises 24

61 3,796
 08-18-2015, 09:06 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info

But a free BST here meant an increase in membership numbers and that's usually seen as a good thing by site owners. Too in any BST, BUYERS outnumber sellers probably 2 or 3 to 1. This thread seems to say you must watch sellers , they are wolves among sheep. But BST buyers are not innocents they are hobbyists who know the dollar value of shave items, they are educated and discerning . Any lot of items coming up for sale in the BST is in minutes professionally cherry picked for the high value items either to keep or accumulate to sell on later and buyers seem to never miss spotting value.

I don't get  the moral indignation of buyers in this thread or the sniffy superiority of those buyers who put " friendship" above money and material things when they are right there in the BST or on ebay , shopping for bargains and " scores" and " hauls" , the less paid for and highest value the better.

15 541
 08-18-2015, 09:14 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 09:06 PM)Hanzo Wrote:

But a free BST here meant an increase in membership numbers and that's usually seen as a good thing by site owners. Too in any BST, BUYERS outnumber sellers probably 2 or 3 to 1. This thread seems to say you must watch sellers , they are wolves among sheep. But BST buyers are not innocents they are hobbyists who know the dollar value of shave items, they are educated and discerning . Any lot of items coming up for sale in the BST is in minutes professionally cherry picked for the high value items either to keep or accumulate to sell on later and buyers seem to never miss spotting value.

I don't get  the moral indignation of buyers in this thread or the sniffy superiority of those buyers who put " friendship" above money and material things when they are right there in the BST or on ebay , shopping for bargains and " scores" and " hauls" , the less paid for and highest value the better.

Very well said. I agree.

0 117
 08-18-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
(08-18-2015, 09:06 PM)Hanzo Wrote:

You are correct, you don't get it.  Nobody is displaying moral indignation or superiority, that's your thinking.  Of course people use the BST or Ebay.  You are entitled to your opinion and if money and material things are more important to you, more power to you.

To me, the friends that I have made here are more important, money and material things I have, but I enjoy them more with friends, and that you can't buy.

You are passing judgement and throwing generalities, good for you.

61 3,796
 08-19-2015, 04:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think we all understand the OP original post and I think most have voiced their opinions on this issue.  So before it get turned in another direction, I believe it is time to close this thread.

All points well taken.

182 25,385