08-19-2015, 01:43 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have a Pils razor and am very impressed with it's manufacture and performance. I noticed that Pils offers a 23mm Silvertip brush. I have never heard anything about this brush. It is a bit pricey but if there are good things said about it I might consider a purchase. Anyone ?

70 1,098
 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The handle looks beautifully made; I too wonder how the knot is.
They are not cheap, these brushes!

102 18,669
 08-19-2015, 02:22 PM
User Info
I was tempted too months ago but let it go. To me €320 blind buy doesn't make sense . I can ask the GM about the badger but the problem is they don't speak English and the response time is about 2-3 weeks per email .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
There's very little information other than product literature on this brush, but I've only been able to find one comment (ever) that said it's a fairly weak backbone but it's tips are said to be quite soft.
The post was a few years old mind you, so with batch changes it maybe different now.

This was the brush that started the desire for a milled handle, quite unmistakable for being a Pils, to me at least.

36 1,336
 08-20-2015, 07:05 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The knot is silver tip badger secured with a ferrule (or ring cap) which hides any glue and possibly provides a little support (which translates to a little extra backbone). The tips are soft, not quite Thater soft. The knot features a mix of darker hairs not unlike the modern Plisson knots (presumably to assist with backbone). These darker hairs provide some sensation and reduce the overall feel of softness. It's on the floppy side of the spectrum, but not as much as a Kent, Plisson or Muhle. Its dense, but not Chubby dense. 

The knot is styled in a manner that deviates from the current trend of 2 band, well back boned brushes. I don't necessarily prescribe to the notion that particular brushes a more suited to face versus bowl lathering, however I'd imagine that the masses would say it's the latter.

It reminds me of the Dovo/Merkur "Barber Pole" chrome plated handle and silver tip badger brush, but the Pils is much better finished, denser, somewhat softer tips and a little more backbone.

The brush performs well, but hogs a little lather (not to the extent of a Chubby). The hefty price tag is no doubt the reason this brush is not regularly discussed.

99 18,011
 08-20-2015, 08:09 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(08-20-2015, 07:05 PM)ben74 Wrote: The knot is silver tip badger secured with a ferrule (or ring cap) which hides any glue and possibly provides a little support (which translates to a little extra backbone). The tips are soft, not quite Thater soft. The knot features a mix of darker hairs not unlike the modern Plisson knots (presumably to assist with backbone). These darker hairs provide some sensation and reduce the overall feel of softness. It's on the floppy side of the spectrum, but not as much as a Kent, Plisson or Muhle. Its dense, but not Chubby dense. 

The knot is styled in a manner that deviates from the current trend of 2 band, well back boned brushes. I don't necessarily prescribe to the notion that particular brushes a more suited to face versus bowl lathering, however I'd imagine that the masses would say it's the latter.

It reminds me of the Dovo/Merkur "Barber Pole" chrome plated handle and silver tip badger brush, but the Pils is much better finished, denser, somewhat softer tips and a little more backbone.

The brush performs well, but hogs a little lather (not to the extent of a Chubby). The hefty price tag is no doubt the reason this brush is not regularly discussed.

Ben do you own one or would you consider buying one?

70 1,098
 08-20-2015, 08:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Owned both the razor and brush and unfortunately parted with both. First to go was the brush. My tastes have changed or developed, but at the time it didn't have enough backbone. I later sold the razor too. I regret parting with the razor, but I don't feel I'm missing out by no longer owning the brush. I can't remember if it was the 21 or 23mm, but back them I preferred larger brushes.

99 18,011
 08-21-2015, 06:10 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
I've test shaved with the brush a few times. Pils products are made in the same area as Porsche and Mercedes Benz. I have yet to see better made DE razors. The brush handle has the same amazing quality. But the knot is more like a Mühle or Simpson, ie far less impressive than a Thäter. I would buy this brush for the looks if I owned the DE razor, not otherwise.

0 197
 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Ben and Robin thanks You made up my mind. Will spend the money on Plisson 18 instead. I would never sell my Pils razor. I had 2 Mongoose razors. Just sold one in expectation of the Aluminum Mongoose imminent release.

70 1,098
 08-21-2015, 07:11 AM
User Info
(08-21-2015, 07:01 AM)Barrylu Wrote: Ben and Robin thanks You made up my mind. Will spend the money on Plisson 18 instead. I would never sell my Pils razor. I had 2 Mongoose razors. Just sold one in expectation of the Aluminum Mongoose imminent release.

:-) I call you barry the plisson man

61 3,072
 08-21-2015, 07:33 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(08-21-2015, 07:11 AM)Cricket203 Wrote:
(08-21-2015, 07:01 AM)Barrylu Wrote: Ben and Robin thanks You made up my mind. Will spend the money on Plisson 18 instead. I would never sell my Pils razor. I had 2 Mongoose razors. Just sold one in expectation of the Aluminum Mongoose imminent release.

Yes I think we might have just gotten Ravi hooked as well

70 1,098
 08-21-2015, 07:36 AM
User Info
(08-21-2015, 07:33 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(08-21-2015, 07:11 AM)Cricket203 Wrote:

Yes I think we might have just gotten Ravi hooked as well

I know :-)

61 3,072
 08-21-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
I now have three plissons.  the 18 hmw is my cherished one.  did not get along with the mongoose at all and would never part with my pils after the journey I took to get it.  Without barry's Plisson brush glee I never would have found my solace in waxing natural horn with renaissance wax. I am truly a plisson convert although I am probably done with my purchasing of them.

76 1,331
 08-21-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
(08-21-2015, 08:40 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: I now have three plissons.  the 18 hmw is my cherished one.  did not get along with the mongoose at all and would never part with my pils after the journey I took to get it.  Without barry's Plisson brush glee I never would have found my solace in waxing natural horn with renaissance wax. I am truly a plisson convert although I am probably done with my purchasing of them.

Pils razor & plisson are special . Good to know you are liking pils!! I remembered that you and I thought we will never received pils but that delay was because german holiday

61 3,072
 08-21-2015, 08:50 AM
User Info
The Pils badger brush IMHO is a piece of totally overpriced Mühle brush very average badger brush in disguise.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.
Just my 2 Danish Kroner of wisdom

24 6,020
 08-21-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
I am glad that I skipped pils badger. Only like pils razor

61 3,072
 08-21-2015, 10:57 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
(08-21-2015, 08:50 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: The Pils badger brush IMHO is a piece of totally overpriced Mühle brush very average badger brush in disguise.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.
Nothing less, either. You can easily pay the same amount of money for some recycled driftwood with a $5 Chinese import knot if the manufacturer bothered to add something with "artisan" in it to their name.

Meaning the Pils handle is incredibly well made (compared to anything, really, but especially the run of the mill brands like Above the Tie or, heaven forbid, iKon). You pay for the craftsmanship here, and I don't know any DE razor (or brush handle) which comes anywhere close.

As I said, I would not personally recommend or buy it, but there are Mühle brushes and Mühle brushes, and this is the high end variety. Think "modern Simpson badger".

0 197
 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM
User Info
(08-21-2015, 10:57 AM)RobinK Wrote:
(08-21-2015, 08:50 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: The Pils badger brush IMHO is a piece of totally overpriced Mühle brush very average badger brush in disguise.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.
Nothing less, either. You can easily pay the same amount of money for some recycled driftwood with a $5 Chinese import knot if the manufacturer bothered to add something with "artisan" in it to their name.

Meaning the Pils handle is incredibly well made (compared to anything, really, but especially the run of the mill brands like Above the Tie or, heaven forbid, iKon). You pay for the craftsmanship here, and I don't know any DE razor (or brush handle) which comes anywhere close.

As I said, I would not personally recommend or buy it, but there are Mühle brushes and Mühle brushes, and this is the high end variety. Think "modern Simpson badger".

I have owned 3 Pils razors too. One Sensor and two DE's.
Their handles are high quality, yet for the price in my hands unbalanced and a bit too slippery.
The Pils DE head is an acquired taste with its clumsy structure.
I managed to get absolutely decent shaves with it, but always felt the razor was built like a tank, yet overpriced, as said unbalanced and not secure enough in the grip.

All this is my personal opinion of course.

The brush was floppy, not even as luxurious in feel as the Kent BK8, which also is floppy.
The handle is just about the only positive thing I can think of regarding the Pils badger brush.

24 6,020