08-20-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
When a member starts a thread to share a new item they purchased or their gear in general, don't post your own, I think is a bit tacky, specially if you are just showing off and one upping the member.

I have noticed this happens often and I have probably been guilty of it at some point, although I'm very self conscious about it, so keep it simple, comment and let the member enjoy his moment, don't be that guy  Biggrin

Like the title says, just a suggestion.

Out to dinner!

61 3,796
 08-20-2015, 10:21 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I am 100% sure I am guilty of that... never thought of it using those optics but more along the lines of "Hey, you're right that is a great brush! I have one too and love it." Or some such.

Not "Oh, you got your new Shavemac? When I use my 18 Shavemacs I love the Silvertip 2-band!"

Apologies in retrospect and advance for any inadvertent asshattery to the community. Smile

2 1,180
 08-20-2015, 10:22 AM
User Info
I get your point but where does that thread go beyond "That's jolly nice for you."?

0 144
 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
+1 
Just think while you're one upping someone else there's someone else who has more/ better stuff than you.  It doesnt make you as cool as you think it does.  And if you one up someone on brushes Hectors brush's could trump your collection, trust me I sold him a couple!!  JK.  Good point.

By the way Hector my razors are better than yours!

79 824
 08-20-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:22 AM)Burgundy Wrote: I get your point but where does that thread go beyond "That's jolly nice for you."?

Like I said, just a suggestion, do as you please.  Personally, I'm happy with one honest congratulation, but that's me.

61 3,796
 08-20-2015, 10:27 AM
User Info
I am so upset I am going to pile up my badgers and jump off

60 1,345
 08-20-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:24 AM)Deuce428 Wrote: +1 
Just think while you're one upping someone else there's someone else who has more/ better stuff than you.  It doesnt make you as cool as you think it does.  And if you one up someone on brushes Hectors brush's could trump your collection, trust me I sold him a couple!!  JK.  Good point.

By the way Hector my razors are better than yours!

Biggrin  My wife really enjoyed your last line.  Now she thinks I'm going to buy more, nice job Chris Biggrin

61 3,796
 08-20-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
each case is different i think the main idea is to be respectful of others, some dont mind others posting pics and the thread changing from a share to a conversation.  There's a right thing and a wrong way to do things

79 824
 08-20-2015, 10:36 AM
User Info
Personally I'm not getting into a peeing contest with Hector,your not going to win... That being said if someone starts a thread about their latest purchase and you have something similar just start your own thread,that way even if your intentions were only Hey I have a similar_______ it doesn't look like your trying to out do anybody.

3 1,356
 08-20-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:36 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Personally I'm not getting into a peeing contest with Hector,your not going to win... That being said if someone starts a thread about their latest purchase and you have something similar just start your own thread,that way even if your intentions were only Hey I have a similar_______ it doesn't look like your trying to out do anybody.

Come on Justin, I'm a nice guy 24. You can argue with me all day long, lol.....

61 3,796
 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:28 AM)Deuce428 Wrote: each case is different i think the main idea is to be respectful of others, some dont mind others posting pics and the thread changing from a share to a conversation.  There's a right thing and a wrong way to do things

Indeed.....

61 3,796
 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
I never thought posts showing what you have in another person's thread was intended to one-up, although I agree that if it was intended that way, it would be irritating. When I've posted item's that I've purchased and others post their pics, I actually thought it made for a more interesting thread. I do love seeing pics of other member's collections.

45 1,258
 08-20-2015, 10:50 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:43 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 10:36 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Personally I'm not getting into a peeing contest with Hector,your not going to win... That being said if someone starts a thread about their latest purchase and you have something similar just start your own thread,that way even if your intentions were only Hey I have a similar_______ it doesn't look like your trying to out do anybody.

Last time we argued our thread got closed lol. We have the same personality, that's how I guessed your background...

3 1,356
 08-20-2015, 10:56 AM
User Info
we are not here for a competition instead we like to share with fellow wet shavers. If someone share its all good without an intention of superiority . I don't mind if someone share a picture in my thread of new arrivals because I don't see that as a competition or superiority. I rather enjoy and see fellow wet shaver collection.
Yes nothing wrong with giving someone a moment to celebrate .

Again , let's have a fun mindset and not an atmosphere of a competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62 3,086
 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:48 AM)shevek Wrote: I never thought posts showing what you have in another person's thread was intended to one-up, although I agree that if it was intended that way, it would be irritating. When I've posted item's that I've purchased and others post their pics, I actually thought it made for a more interesting thread. I do love seeing pics of other member's collections.

+1, I feel the same way

Anyone can share the pictures of their collection in my thread and I will have zero problems . I wanted to see your items members :-)

62 3,086
 08-20-2015, 11:06 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:56 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: we are not here for a competition instead we like to share with fellow wet shavers. If someone share its all good without an intention of superiority . I don't mind if someone share a picture in my thread of new arrivals because I don't see that as a competition or superiority. I rather enjoy and see fellow wet shaver collection.

+1 I love paging through awesome threads of brushes... And more brushes. I think of it as other owners of something similar sharing their joy as well.

42 584
 08-20-2015, 11:07 AM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:43 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

I consider you a friend Hector, I don't care what anybody says. Biggrin I'm kidding.

3 1,356
 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I think the ultimate social leveling of our playing field would be photographs to accompany our shave of the day posts. One telltale styptic pencil discoloration, the telltale shadow of stubble refuting claim to a BBS shave, the white residue of soap in our earlobe from enthusiastic lathering and
we are merely the effluent owners of collectable cars grinding gears and stalling as a Honda Civic pulls away on the green light. I do like the photos.
It's like a man pulling out family photos and affirming he has a place in our boundless universe.

2 3,171
 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 11:27 AM)kav Wrote: I think the ultimate social leveling of our playing field would be photographs to accompany our shave of the day posts. One telltale styptic pencil discoloration, the telltale shadow of stubble refuting claim to a BBS shave, the white residue of soap in our earlobe from enthusiastic lathering and
we are merely the effluent owners of collectable cars grinding gears and stalling as a Honda Civic pulls away on the green light. I do like the photos.
It's like a man pulling out family photos and affirming he has a place in our boundless universe.
Lol, I've almost posted a rant a few times about the use of "BBS" an almost BBS except under your Jawline is not a BBS!

3 1,356
 08-20-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 10:56 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: we are not here for a competition instead we like to share with fellow wet shavers. If someone share its all good without an intention of superiority . I don't mind if someone share a picture in my thread of new arrivals because I don't see that as a competition or superiority. I rather enjoy and see fellow wet shaver collection.

It's our expression of pleasure among our fellow wetshavers. Not competing, but expressing the joy we all share when we pick up a razor to our faces.

32 765