06-25-2012, 07:29 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I shaved with a Geo F. Trumper Violet shaving soap today and I was kind of surprised that I just had the same kind of shave that when I used my veggie Geo F. Trumper Violet shaving soap : no difference at all in slickness,cushion,skin care,easiness to make lather or anything.The only different thing is the scent,which is more "complex" on the tallow based soap (with hints of other flowers besides violet) and more simple in the veggie based soap.Also the color in more intense in the tallow based,but when its time to shave,both perform the same.
I did experience something similar last week when shaving with a Geo F Trumper Coconut Oil tallow based shaving soap and not finding any difference with the old (I say old because is not longer available) veggie based soap.
To me there are not differences between the "Soap Based" (tallow) and the veggie versions of this soap,so the debate tallow vs veggie based soap is there.
Have you experience the same with these soaps?Of course,Im talking about the veggie soaps that are capable to make lather,not the dud pucks that some people have reported.
Either way (tallow or veggie based) I find Geo F. Trumper to be one of the finest brands out there and I hope they can re introduce the Coconut and Sandalwood shaving soaps pretty soon.

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
User Info
How do I get good veggie trumper soap?

5 413
 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-25-2012, 08:25 AM)Krisbarger Wrote: How do I get good veggie trumper soap?

I havent had any problems getting them.Dont know how to answer that question.I think that some people have experienced problems with some batches,but not all are bad,and Trumper even have sent some good soaps in replacement of dud ones, when people have complained to them.

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Remember when something is around that much you dont always hear how well a product worked, but people sure speak up when it doesnt, i would think the odds of getting a dud puck are a lot less then getting a good one, and everyone who I have read who has had one and wrote in about the puck to GFT has had a replacement sent to them if your interested in getting on Kris i would say just go ahead and enjoy

Its interesting to see in the same product line you find almost no difference Teiste, there are many of us who preach to new DE or straight shavers that tallow is not the be all end all and that a good product is a good product with either base, its all about the performance not the manufacturing

3 748
 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-25-2012, 09:05 AM)syngent Wrote: Remember when something is around that much you dont always hear how well a product worked, but people sure speak up when it doesnt, i would think the odds of getting a dud puck are a lot less then getting a good one, and everyone who I have read who has had one and wrote in about the puck to GFT has had a replacement sent to them if your interested in getting on Kris i would say just go ahead and enjoy

Its interesting to see in the same product line you find almost no difference Teiste, there are many of us who preach to new DE or straight shavers that tallow is not the be all end all and that a good product is a good product with either base, its all about the performance not the manufacturing

I will never get that tallow fanaticism that some like to preach,dismissing the non tallow shaving soaps.I found the tallow based and the veggie based Trumper to perform the same so I cant see what is this "tallow mysticism" all about.

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
i like my MWF, but most of my other soaps that i like are all veggie, it is a shame so many members with experience in other forums preach to new members till the cows come hom about tallow, the english dud pucks didnt help matters any either, but there are a lot of people missing out on some fantastic products because of it... good products are good products end of story,... but i do still need to get my hands on an english puck as i still havent yet shaved with one though i do have a stick of D.R. Harris on the way
(06-25-2012, 09:14 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 09:05 AM)syngent Wrote: Remember when something is around that much you dont always hear how well a product worked, but people sure speak up when it doesnt, i would think the odds of getting a dud puck are a lot less then getting a good one, and everyone who I have read who has had one and wrote in about the puck to GFT has had a replacement sent to them if your interested in getting on Kris i would say just go ahead and enjoy

I will never get that tallow fanaticism that some like to preach,dismissing the non tallow shaving soaps.I found the tallow based and the veggie based Trumper to perform the same so I cant see what is this "tallow mysticism" all about.

3 748
 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
Maybe those that preach of tallowy goodness have a vested interest in the cattle industry.

2 59
 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(06-25-2012, 01:41 PM)superbleu Wrote: Maybe those that preach of tallowy goodness have a vested interest in the cattle industry.

hahahaha, like those that preach the R41 to newbies and there vested interest in the alum and styptic trades

3 748
 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info

I have both and much prefer the tallow Trumper. Go figure. Cool

45 16,278
 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-25-2012, 02:40 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

But what do you find different from the veggie based to the tallow one (besides the scent)?

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
interested in that answer as well, i just traded for some TOBS lavender, which will be my first try with an english veggie soap, and i cant wait to take it out never had the chance to try the tallow ones of years past, but i am interested

3 748
 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 06:38 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 02:40 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 09:14 AM)Teiste Wrote: I will never get that tallow fanaticism that some like to preach,dismissing the non tallow shaving soaps.I found the tallow based and the veggie based Trumper to perform the same so I cant see what is this "tallow mysticism" all about.

But what do you find different from the veggie based to the tallow one (besides the scent)?

The veggie I had. It could have been a bad one? However, even after soaking the time required to load the brush is multiplied tenfold in my experience.

5 413
 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I get a much richer, thicker and more satisfying lather in much less time with the tallow version than I do with the veggie version. The veggie version is slick and makes a decent lather...it just is not as rich in my experience and takes longer to lather.

I have relatively hard water and that may be the issue.

45 16,278
 06-25-2012, 07:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-25-2012, 06:53 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I get a much richer, thicker and more satisfying lather in much less time with the tallow version than I do with the veggie version. The veggie version is slick and makes a decent lather...it just is not as rich in my experience and takes longer to lather.

What versions have you tried both veggie and tallow based,Phil?
Interesting indeed,since I have tried the coconut and violet veggie and tallow based soaps,and besides the scent,havent found any differences on the lather or the slickness.Tomorrow time for the rose tallow soap.

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:07 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 06:53 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I get a much richer, thicker and more satisfying lather in much less time with the tallow version than I do with the veggie version. The veggie version is slick and makes a decent lather...it just is not as rich in my experience and takes longer to lather.

Interesting indeed,since I have tried the coconut and violet veggie and tallow based soaps,and besides the scent,havent found any differences on the lather or the slickness.Tomorrow time for the rose tallow soap.

Mine were both coconut. My tallow coconut is among the best soaps I have ever tried!

5 413
 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:15 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 07:07 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Mine were both coconut. My tallow coconut is among the best soaps I have ever tried!
So you also have found differences in both soaps?Huh

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:22 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 07:15 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 07:07 PM)Teiste Wrote: What versions have you tried both veggie and tallow based,Phil?

So you also have found differences in both soaps?Huh

I have only had one veggie soap from trumper. Coconut... There is always s chance I got a bad one, but my tallow one I picked up is insanely better latherer. It is faster and creamier.

5 413
 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Can't speak to the veggie vs tallow GFT soaps, but I can say I'm relatively oblivious to if a soap has tallow or not when I buy a soap. I think I'm probably 60-40 veggie to tallow and I can notice differences between soaps in lather quality, skin care and such but it doesn't fall in line with tallow or not. Some of my veggies are better than the tallows and vice versa.

0 353
 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I shaved with the Rose tallow based soap today.I can find two different things when I compare it with the veggie based one : the scent is slightly different and this soap required less loading.The lather I created is the same than the veggie based one,as well as the slickness cushion and skin care.
I dont know what else to say,but I cant find huge differences between the tallow based vs the veggie based Trumper shaving soaps.

86 7,123