08-20-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
I never read many comments about the humble Van Der Hagen (I prefer their Deluxe) shaving soap, available nearly everywhere for about $2.00. I'm a big fan of the fragrance and nothing melts easier for shaping to its container.

Anybody else like it?

2 205
 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
First soap I ever tried. It's better than canned shave cream for sure but for me I hated the smell. Once I realized Wetshaving was for me I grabbed some proraso green and never looked back. I haven't used it in a long time so I can't really remember how it works,and I have a lot of soaps bow and the scent of the VDH just turned me off of it completely. Too many soaps out there that I enjoy a lot more.

3 1,356
 08-20-2015, 06:35 PM
User Info
VDH Luxury was my first American bought soap. I preferred it to the Wilkinson Blue Bowl, but the scent eventually got to me.
Glad you found something that you liked that is readily available and very moderately priced!

0 50
 08-21-2015, 09:36 AM
User Info
I like the smell and I think it's pretty darn good, regardless of the humble price (better IMO than a certain make that costs 30x). 
It is not my favorite, which is currently Proraso Red, but I do still use it from time to time.

6 808
 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
First soap I ever used (along with the VDH boar brush) and also the first soap I ever finished. Respectable performance, don't mind the scent and the pricing/availability is a huge bonus. I actually still use the "bowl" my starter set came with to soak brushes while in the shower.

2 1,180
 08-22-2015, 09:29 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I like the Deluxe, and keep 5 or 6 pucks around. Performance is good, scent is mild and I like it.

2 1,683
 08-26-2015, 09:07 PM
User Info
I like the VDH as well. Beats Williams any day of the week!

1 52
 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
Stay away from the New VDH in a tube. I tried it and found it to not give any razor slip, or skin protection from razor burn. It didn't work for me.

Clayton

6 625
 08-30-2015, 05:51 PM
User Info
I've always heard good things, and I wanted to try it when I first started. But it's got detergents in it, which my skin seems to react to.

0 1,055
 09-03-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
I have many soaps and creams including high end and highly touted artisans. In fact I have so much that I have decided to use up soaps on a daily basis until gone so to dwindle the den (and the wife's nagging).  I shave my head daily in the showr and my face daily at the sink. So to begin this mission on 9/1 I threw my bowl with a puck of deluxe in the shower and my bowl with a puck of luxury at the sink. Is it the greatest, no. But it is certainly not the worst and gives me a nice shave. I find the luxury to be a tad drying though nothing unbearable. Overall I prefer the deluxe for scent and performance.  The luxury scent is a little to cologne like but it is mild and goes away some what quick.  Overall though they are easily lathered and provide a good shave.  Plus I get pucks of deluxe for around $2.50.  Way cheaper than the name brand canned gel and will last at least twice as long. 
I like VDH and think they do a nice job with their products and making it accessible to everyone no matter your budget. Plus I believe it actually is a small family owned company which make it that much better.

87 892
 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
Chromedome, I agree about the scent of VDH Luxury, although I'd say that the scent is a little too "Axe cologne" for my tastes. 

On the other hand, I really like the scent of VDH Deluxe.  It's the performance I don't care for.  Here's how I solved that problem.  I had a sample of Mystic Waters sensitive skin soap and about 2/3rds a puck of VDH Deluxe.  I grated them together and then pressed it down into a container. 

I used it just this morning.  It toned down the VDH scent a little, but it now makes a gorgeous, creamy lather and provides for a nice shave.  Post-shave face feel was like MW, rather than like VDH.  So, all in all, a pretty good Frankensoap.

2 1,397
 09-04-2015, 07:55 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(09-03-2015, 08:30 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Chromedome, I agree about the scent of VDH Luxury, although I'd say that the scent is a little too "Axe cologne" for my tastes. 

On the other hand, I really like the scent of VDH Deluxe.  It's the performance I don't care for.  Here's how I solved that problem.  I had a sample of Mystic Waters sensitive skin soap and about 2/3rds a puck of VDH Deluxe.  I grated them together and then pressed it down into a container. 

I used it just this morning.  It toned down the VDH scent a little, but it now makes a gorgeous, creamy lather and provides for a nice shave.  Post-shave face feel was like MW, rather than like VDH.  So, all in all, a pretty good Frankensoap.
 I'm gonna try this. I just have to figure out which soaps scents will pair nicely.

72 1,227