08-20-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
The more I improve my technique the more I realize the AS-D2 is really a wolf in sheeps clothing.  

In the beginning it was a wonder razor. I would shave WTG, ATG, XTG upside submerged in a bottle of alcohol aftershave with NO irritation.  But back then I had to do 4+ passes to get a BBS. So I went looking for a more efficient shaver.

I've explored a few more razors (variety is the spice of life, after all!) and now I can use my Rockwell with the 4-5 plate, no issues. ATT R2 - No Problem. Standard Aluminum - No issues. RR Slant V2 and V4 no problem (well I did try to j-hook my V2 and took a chunk out of the corner of my mouth....serves me right for trying to shave half asleep I forgot I was using a slant and don't have to hook.... A6 )

AS-D2 - Razor Burn up the wazzo.  WTF?!

The AS-D2 is so seemingly 'mild' that when I'm using it I feel like it's not cutting so I always get tempted to press harder.  Today I used a very well known combo for me (MdC boosted with a bit of glycerin + Varlet Beehive) and got a very nice lather that was slick and cushiony... but the entire time I was thinking 'am I even cutting' (I was using a Personna Med Prep). So I kept fiddling with the angle and must have been pressing, because when I was done my upper chin (right below my lower lip) was super red. Then when the alum goes on... OUCH. Everywhere. 

At this point I'm sad to report that my AS-D2 has fallen by the way side in favor of my WR1-DC.  The Wolfman is just as efficient and easy to use, but a tad less mild so I get better feedback from it regarding my angles.

How about the rest of you gents, still rocking the AS-D2 once in a while?

18 642
 08-20-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
Now, that is something I would have never thought would happen!  The AS-D2 was just too mild for me and I gave up after two attempts with it.
Good luck resolving your dilemma. Shy

82 21,056
 08-20-2015, 04:32 PM
User Info
(08-20-2015, 03:13 PM)celestino Wrote: Now, that is something I would have never thought would happen!  The AS-D2 was just too mild for me and I gave up after two attempts with it.
Good luck resolving your dilemma. Shy

I would humbly suggest that if you spent south of a $150 on a razor you may want to try more than twice before giving up including a little blade exploration.  Yes, I've had razor burn too which was entirely of my own making.  The ASD2 is so deceiving in its initial comfort that one can forget that you are still removing more with every pass.  Cheers.

0 1
 08-20-2015, 04:55 PM
User Info
I appreciate your impressions on the AS-D2, but I have also tried the AS-D1 twice and with my coarse beard, I have to do 4 passes with many touch-ups just to get a decent shave. I have a few razors that work much better for me and are more efficient, so I am quite content. Shy

82 21,056
 08-20-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
That is a pretty strange thing.  If you went from mild razor to more aggressiver razor, I can see how you'd get irritation/redness from pressing too hard from your old habit of giving it just a little more pressure to compensate for the mildness, but you were actually going from more efficient wolfman and then back to as-d2, I would think you would be putting not enough pressure.

Try another blade and see how that feels.  
If wolfman works and as-d2 no longer does, well, find it a good new home.

53 760