08-20-2015, 06:17 PM
User Info
How long have you been DE or SE shaving and I am curious if your gear is growing or contracting?

I like to think that mine is contracting but truthfully, in some ways its growing, like in the case of shaving soaps. What about you?

0 76
 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Ebb and FlowSmile

59 4,503
 08-20-2015, 06:55 PM
User Info
Shaving 54 years.My product stays about the same,Wife level Biggrin

20 441
 08-20-2015, 07:26 PM
User Info
I'm guessing that I've been shaving with a blade now for 5-6 years. The overall inventory is slightly contracting. I'm trying to use up some lesser soaps and I'm not adding anything new.

32 6,459
 08-20-2015, 09:46 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Been shaving 40+ years, I have spent more since discovering these forums 3 years ago then I did in all my other years combined...all of those darn creams, soaps, brushes, etc. that I never knew existed.

2 479
 08-21-2015, 01:45 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-20-2015, 09:46 PM)Jovan Wrote: Been shaving 40+ years, I have spent more since discovering these forums 3 years ago then I did in all my other years combined...all of those darn creams, soaps, brushes, etc. that I never knew existed.

Same here.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-21-2015, 01:57 AM
User Info
I reduce, buy and reduce again. At the minute it's steady I haven't really brought many full products when this is all I used to do. Now it's more sampling.

4 642
 08-21-2015, 03:54 AM
User Info
Wet shaving a good 2+ years now. A lot of expanding at first but have done a good bit of contracting to a steady level i find more manageable and enjoy.

147 3,539
 08-21-2015, 04:15 AM
User Info
Seems like a sine wave: now at trough, noticed a spike in brush (14) and blade (300+) populations - primarily badgers (7) as they seem to populate easily - no predators! Scuttle (2), aftershaves (5), Boar (3), horse (1), synthetic (3) and soap (20) populations surprisingly well controlled. Like the Federal Reserve may increase interest rates, I predict a seasonal rise in winter aftershave balms. A possible bump in soap due to the Bufflehead effect, common during late summer and may be further influenced by el nino:[Image: vk5dEeo.jpg]

36 893
 08-21-2015, 04:54 AM
User Info
After peaking, the size of my den is beginning to level off; and slowly contract.  I am not replacing used-up products, especially pre-shave products, which I find superfluous and unnecessary. I still have a healthy fascination with new soaps and aftershaves. The brushes and razors are good and I have no real BAD or RAD. My situation is probably similar to many shavers; I got into it; over-bought; bought-more and more. Done with that I can tell you! The weeding out process isn't difficult; if the product doesn't perform to 100% of my satisfaction...Buh-bye. There's no reason to settle for so-so product these days. 
Signs011

39 3,920
 08-21-2015, 06:03 AM
User Info
I spent the first half of 2015 selling/trading/pif'ing products that i didn't want. Took a few months, but my den reached a state of all around approval. 

I just moved, and while our new city apartment has more space overall, my shave den is not in a great state. I had previously kept most of my stuff in my closet, and had my own medicine cabinet for my "currently-in-use" products. Our old bathroom had 3 side-by-side medicine cabinets (my own, kid stuff, wife's stuff). It was perfect. In the new place, the bathroom has one big shared medicine cabinet. I'm really not liking having my "currently-in-use" stuff next to the tylenol, toothbrushes and my wife's perfumes. So I need to come up with a plan to put up a small cabinet of some sort so I can have my precious private space. Approval of said plan by wife dependent on quality of accompanying present. So at this time, my focus is just getting back to a state where i can enjoy my existing stuff.

40 1,166
 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
I think I'm going on about 1.5 years into this. My inventory is growing slowly.  I'm trying different brands of soaps, but if I'm just in the mood for a different scent, I can go down to the soap room, grab some unscented, and mix in whatever essential or fragrance oils I want. I've got my favorite blades narrowed down... I think I'll accumulate some additional brushes and razors, but I'm fairly disciplined, so growth will continue to be slow.

0 1,072
 08-21-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
I've been using a DE and straight since 2011. Started with a straight believe it or not. Moved to DEs after that.

I bought a lot of stuff to dial in what works for me. After finding my favorite blades,razors and soaps I'm done unless something really catches my eye,or if its a deal I just can't pass up.

3 1,356
 08-21-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
One year in and still growing , have pretty much decided on the hardware and have about 15 modern/vintage  DE/SE razors  that I use regularly.Still looking for soaps or creams that are good performers and have a scent I like  Decided that I like to collect  and add a few each month at some point I'll narrow down what I collect to a few types like the News , Aristocrats and European razors. Have 6 brushes that I like and not really interested in going down that rabbit hole. Hope at some point to contract to just stuff that performs well, think my first year was experimentation , making  choices and learning what works. As mentioned above  "ebb and flow "

Glenn

2 50
 08-21-2015, 05:53 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Sell some, buy some more, buy some sell some more. Currently selling more than buying but always see overall growth in the den. So many brushes, straights, and soaps to try.

7 451
 08-21-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
For a little over 20 years I was strictly Gillette DE, One Badger brush, and  Old Spice shaving pucks . Life was so simple.

Now?   Facepalm

Seriously, I'm leveling, slowly but surely.  I have learned a lot from the forum and Internet, so the natural course of action was to expand.

61 3,796
 08-21-2015, 06:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-21-2015, 10:34 AM)Otis375 Wrote: I bought a lot of stuff to dial in what works for me. After finding my favorite blades,razors and soaps I'm done unless something really catches my eye,or if its a deal I just can't pass up.

Signs011  Now its about brushes. Since January ive added ten and pifd 2. There may be another 2 or 3 in the next 12 months. For now I'm good on soaps and blades. Ive pifd a bunch of hardeare and software to buddies when I grew bored with it. So i guess now its all about refining my den.

7 2,157
 08-22-2015, 04:50 AM
User Info
Just about 5 years in and the exponential growth continues, I just hop from acquiring straights to brushes every other year while soaps continue to multiply. I stopped trying justify purchases a long time ago...  I believe I am one of the very few out there who does not clear or thin out his den, everything I have bought I have retained with the exception of the brushes and soaps I gave to my wife and friends starting out.  This has pushed my den size up to some pretty comical numbers...

3 260
 08-22-2015, 03:01 PM
User Info
I already have more than a 2 year supply of both blades and soap that I fully enjoy and a lifetime supply of DE razors and brushes.

Enough, my forward goal as of today. No more buying till I am close to using up the shaving gear that I already have. We'll see how long this lasts!

0 76
 08-25-2015, 05:07 AM
User Info
I've been wet shaving just about 1 year now, during which time I bought enough of everything to last me several years!

I am proactively looking to reduce my shave den.   I find it a source of happiness to trade, sell, or pass along items I am not using.

1 135