08-22-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
This week I got in a Whipped Dog synthetic brush 24mm knot. It is just fantastic. First of all I can't believe the price. Shipped to the US the total coast was only $22.00. I don't know how he can make any money on this. It has a wonderful feel to it. Like others have said, it has a little more backbone than a Plisson. Not that I found anything wrong with the Plisson. In fact I haven't decided yet which one I like better for face lathering. I do like the feel of a slightly larger brush than the 22mm Plisson. Anyone who has not tried a synthetic now would be a good time. It is a great brush at a nice price. 

[Image: MmDc46k.jpg]

5 1,562
 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
I have the 30mm and I love it. Larry does what he does to help wet shavers out not for the profit. I can't say enough about whipped dog. I told Larry of he ever decides to retire or quot making brushes to give me a notice so I can stock up.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 02:38 PM
User Info
Another satisfied WD customer! You picked a great color handle, makes me wish I bought the black one. I bought the 24mm just shortly after buying a Plisson and I have to say I like the Whipped Dog slightly better due to larger knot and better backbone. The fibers on the WD are every bit as soft as the Plisson and the tips might even be softer. My problem with Plisson is that they only offer 22mm knots. Plisson is still a joy to use but the WD has one up on it for me.

Have you ever owned one of Larry's silvertip knots? If so, how do they feel and perform?

13 947
 08-22-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
That's a really nice looking brush, congrats. Can I ask what loft size you got the brush set at? I like to bowl and face lather so was just curious.

1 213
 08-22-2015, 03:04 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 02:50 PM)D_SM Wrote: That's a really nice looking brush, congrats. Can I ask what loft size you got the brush set at? I like to bowl and face lather so was just curious.

His looks like mine which is stock but I won't speak for him. Larry's knot for the 24mm is 67mm tall and he drills the handle 10mm deep, thus the loft should be about 57mm. You can have him drill it to 20mm deep for $5 extra but Larry does not recommend that unless it is a silver tip.

13 947
 08-22-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 02:50 PM)D_SM Wrote: That's a really nice looking brush, congrats. Can I ask what loft size you got the brush set at? I like to bowl and face lather so was just curious.

It is a 54mm loft. That is what he calls a standard loft.

5 1,562
 08-22-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
Is the whipped dog not an ubersoft? I had talked to Larry about his synthetic fiber but he never confirmed or denied it was in fact an ubersoft. Appearance and descriptions make me think they are.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 04:12 PM
User Info
I'm not familiar with Ubersoft. In fact I never heard of them.

5 1,562
 08-22-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 04:12 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I'm not familiar with Ubersoft. In fact I never heard of them.

IIRC the wolf whiskers brushes have the UBERSOFT as well as the whipped dog and some others. That's why I think the WD is such a good value. Granted the wolf whiskers handles are amazing but if its the same knot as the WD you can't go wrong.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 04:57 PM
User Info
57mm loft is standard for the Ubersoft at WD. That's the $22 price. I wanted 54mm, so it cost $5 more. It produces excellent lather and is soft on the face. I miss obsessing over badger knots, though, and always return.

29 1,776
 08-22-2015, 05:07 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 04:57 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: 57mm loft is standard for the Ubersoft at WD. That's the $22 price. I wanted 54mm, so it cost $5 more. It produces excellent lather and is soft on the face. I miss obsessing over badger knots, though, and always return.

I ordered a 24mm synthetic knot with the standard loft and it is clearly a 54mm loft.

5 1,562
 08-22-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
This is the best $22 I have spent on shaving gear.  You can't beat it.  Used mine today.

10 402
 08-22-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 05:07 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 04:57 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: 57mm loft is standard for the Ubersoft at WD. That's the $22 price. I wanted 54mm, so it cost $5 more. It produces excellent lather and is soft on the face. I miss obsessing over badger knots, though, and always return.

I ordered a 24mm synthetic knot with the standard loft and it is clearly a 54mm loft.

It's entirely possible I misremembered what Larry wrote me. He did charge me five bucks extra to get to 54. Still a good deal.

29 1,776
 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 05:47 PM)rsp1202 Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 05:07 PM)shave/brush Wrote:

It's entirely possible I misremembered what Larry wrote me. He did charge me five bucks extra to get to 54. Still a good deal.

I tried to take a picture of it next to a ruler but it did not come out to good. It's a nice brush either way.

5 1,562
 08-22-2015, 06:15 PM
User Info
I just bought the 30mm synthetic from Larry at whipped dog to put in a wolf whiskers handle when he calls me up in sept. I can't wait it is going to be a great combo. Larry's knots are really soft, I can't attest to the quality of the plissons but don't like smaller knots.

4 208
 08-22-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
So far I've use the WD once for face-lathering and once for bowl-lathering. I think I like my Muhle STF better for bowl lathering. The WD was not bad I just prefer the Muhle for bowl-lathering. It's too soon to tell which I prefer for face-lathering my Plisson or the WD.

5 1,562
 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 06:15 PM)Occam Wrote: I just bought the 30mm synthetic from Larry at whipped dog to put in a wolf whiskers handle when he calls me up in sept. I can't wait it is going to be a great combo. Larry's knots are really soft, I can't attest to the quality of the plissons but don't like smaller knots.

I was thinking of doing a 30mm from Larry for a WW too but he is sold out. I may do the Plisson type fiber in 28mm from Chiseled Face. I finally got on the waiting list for WW and now I can't decide what knot I want.

I can attest to the quality of Plissons and to me their is no difference in softness compared to the Whipped Dog. I actually like the WD better than the 22mm Plisson, however the Stirling 26mm "Plisson type fiber" is my favorite, followed by WD and then Plisson 22mm. If you are interested in a Plisson but want a larger knot there are many options available now that the Plisson type fibers are being used by several other companies. I wish there was a standard name for that type of fiber because it is not exclusive to Plisson. From what I heard it is all made in China and the source has been discovered by others finally. Chiseled Face calls it Fauxmere but I don't know if that is the real name of just what they call it.

13 947
 08-22-2015, 08:18 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 07:46 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 06:15 PM)Occam Wrote: I just bought the 30mm synthetic from Larry at whipped dog to put in a wolf whiskers handle when he calls me up in sept. I can't wait it is going to be a great combo. Larry's knots are really soft, I can't attest to the quality of the plissons but don't like smaller knots.

I was thinking of doing a 30mm from Larry for a WW too but he is sold out. I may do the Plisson type fiber in 28mm from Chiseled Face. I finally got on the waiting list for WW and now I can't decide what knot I want.

I can attest to the quality of Plissons and to me their is no difference in softness compared to the Whipped Dog. I actually like the WD better than the 22mm Plisson, however the Stirling 26mm "Plisson type fiber" is my favorite, followed by WD and then Plisson 22mm. If you are interested in a Plisson but want a larger knot there are many options available now that the Plisson type fibers are being used by several other companies. I wish there was a standard name for that type of fiber because it is not exclusive to Plisson. From what I heard it is all made in China and the source has been discovered by others finally. Chiseled Face calls it Fauxmere but I don't know if that is the real name of just what they call it.
If I were you after just getting my WD 30mm knot I would see if Larry is going to get more in soon! If you have time. Wolf Whiskers should have let you know where you are on the waiting list. So you may have some time. 

I heard the WD knot may possibly be an übersoft. Wether this is true or not I do not know. All I can attest to is Larry at whipped dog is very pleasurable doing business with. His prices are out of this world.

4 208
 08-22-2015, 08:48 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 08:18 PM)Occam Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 07:46 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

If I were you after just getting my WD 30mm knot I would see if Larry is going to get more in soon! If you have time. Wolf Whiskers should have let you know where you are on the waiting list. So you may have some time. 

I heard the WD knot may possibly be an übersoft. Wether this is true or not I do not know. All I can attest to is Larry at whipped dog is very pleasurable doing business with. His prices are out of this world.

I will email him tomorrow. My reply from WW estimated mid Oct for me to place my order. I liked doing business with Larry so if I can get a 30 in time I will probably go that route. Thanks. It sounds like that 30mm is a nice knot to have.

13 947
 08-22-2015, 08:57 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 08:48 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 08:18 PM)Occam Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 07:46 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I was thinking of doing a 30mm from Larry for a WW too but he is sold out. I may do the Plisson type fiber in 28mm from Chiseled Face. I finally got on the waiting list for WW and now I can't decide what knot I want.

I will email him tomorrow. My reply from WW estimated mid Oct for me to place my order. I liked doing business with Larry so if I can get a 30 in time I will probably go that route. Thanks. It sounds like that 30mm is a nice knot to have.
There is a video on the tube of one done by wolf whiskers with WD 30mm knot. Pretty impressive. I'll post pics and review of mine when it's done. My que is mid sept for Wolf Whiskers.

4 208