08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
Newbie here. Im gonna be getting into wet shaving. My problem is, my bathroom sink is very small. I CAN use it to wetshave, but ive been thinking about a alternative method. I know you have to keep your blade clean between strokes when shaving. Instead of using running water, what if i dip my razor into a bowl of warm water between strokes? How good is this method? I wanna use a bowl like the one below. ( Sit it on a table).

[Image: 2w2rgvd.jpg]

0 7
 08-22-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
Why bother with a bowl if you can fill up the basin??????????????? Welcome to the club...............Ernie

20 441
 08-22-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 03:25 PM)stickbow46 Wrote: Why bother with a bowl if you can fill up the basin??????????????? Welcome to the club...............Ernie

Sanitation. I rather not use water in the same sink i brush my teeth. Another reason is i cut my own hair in my bedroom. It would be nice to be able to just do everything right there.

0 7
 08-22-2015, 03:32 PM
User Info
 08-22-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
Lysol or bleach if sanitation is an issue with you. I'm half gorilla myself so my family has learned to deal with my hair everywhere. As far as the sink goes its my spit from my mouth,or my kids spit which is like mine so it doesn't bother me.YMMV,the wife on the other hand better keep her yuck mouth away from my sink.. Biggrin

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 03:44 PM
User Info
Tell you what. Ill just buy the bowl and rinse the razor off and see how effective it is..............

0 7
 08-22-2015, 03:45 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 03:42 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Lysol or bleach of sanitation is an issue with you. I'm half gorilla myself so my family has learned to deal with my hair everywhere.

61 3,796
 08-22-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
Check this out... http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Wo...0408.m2460 
Apparently it can be done! In all seriousness my gilfriend stole my wet shaving equiptment this week, filled and bowl, plopped in front of the tv and knocked her legs out. Best thing about this hobby is how personal it is and making it your own. Go for it!

0 54
 08-22-2015, 03:58 PM
User Info
Every once in a while the hair my wife and daughter shed clogs the drain line from the tub and sink to the main stack. I added a cleanout when I remodeled, but it's still a pain to do (which is probably why I don't do it before the clog happens). If I can't get to it right away, I have to go get a large mixing bowl for shaving. It's a bit inconvenient, but it works fine.

0 1,097
 08-22-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 03:45 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 03:42 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Lysol or bleach of sanitation is an issue with you. I'm half gorilla myself so my family has learned to deal with my hair everywhere.

Yea laugh all you want Hector. Like I'm the only man who's ever been mistaken for bigfoot.

Seems to me the bowl with all your whiskers and soap would be less sanitary than a sink but that's just me. I do rinse with the faucet and I also fill my sink up and use that some,the smaller the bowl the more concentrated the whiskers and soap slush if you will.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 03:56 PM)Vielongfomobrushes Wrote: Check this out... http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Wo...0408.m2460 
Apparently it can be done! In all seriousness my gilfriend stole my wet shaving equiptment this week, filled and bowl, plopped in front of the tv and knocked her legs out. Best thing about this hobby is how personal it is and making it your own. Go for it!

I was thinking of that when i got the idea to use a bowl. Back in the day, obviously, they didnt have running water, so they HAD to use a setup like that. Thanx for the post.

0 7
 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
[Image: doWKyuT.jpg]

I find this interesting because I also use a basin for shaving water.
I used the sink as basin when I first started wetshaving, but that was not going well because of the soap scum, hair, etc.
It ended up clogging my drain pretty badly that it took extremely long to drain water after the shaves, so I stood there waiting 2 minutes just for it to drain completely, only to splash more water to remove soap and hair from the sink.

I use plastic basin just for shaving and after the shave, guess what I do, I pour it down the toilet. 
I have no more sink drain issue and my plastic basin gets rinsed every time I shave, so it's always clean.

Like OP said, I wouldn't want to use sink that all my family member uses to wash their face, hand, brush teeth for shaving.  
I don't know how I did it when I did it Smile

53 760
 08-22-2015, 04:15 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 04:08 PM)nubirth Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 03:56 PM)Vielongfomobrushes Wrote: Check this out... http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Wo...0408.m2460 

I was thinking of that when i got the idea to use a bowl. Back in the day, obviously, they didnt have running water, so they HAD to use a setup like that. Thanx for the post.
Most welcome! Id be curious to see your set up well, when you get it all set up.

0 54
 08-22-2015, 04:19 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 04:10 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
[Image: doWKyuT.jpg]
I find this interesting because I also use a basin for shaving water.
I used the sink as basin when I first started wetshaving, but that was not going well because of the soap scum, hair, etc.
It ended up clogging my drain pretty badly that it took extremely long to drain water after the shaves, so I stood there waiting 2 minutes just for it to drain completely, only to splash more water to remove soap and hair from the sink.

I use plastic basin just for shaving and after the shave, guess what I do, I pour it down the toilet. 
I have no more sink drain issue and my plastic basin gets rinsed every time I shave, so it's always clean.

Like OP said, I wouldn't want to use sink that all my family member uses to wash their face, hand, brush teeth for shaving.  
I don't know how I did it when I did it Smile

Exactly! I have been clogging up my sink from cutting my hair and shaving. Thats why i moved the haircutting to my bedroom. 

Sanitation. No way i would ever think about using the same sink that everybody and their moma uses. Think about it. When you shave, you are going INTO your skin. ANY bacteria thats in that sink is going INTO your skin. If you cut your face, well. So, thats something i have never even THOUGHT about doing. Ive been just letting my disposable razor rinse under the faucet between strokes. Thanx for the post.

0 7
 08-22-2015, 05:10 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(08-22-2015, 03:20 PM)nubirth Wrote: Newbie here. Im gonna be getting into wet shaving. My problem is, my bathroom sink is very small. I CAN use it to wetshave, but ive been thinking about a alternative method. I know you have to keep your blade clean between strokes when shaving. Instead of using running water, what if i dip my razor into a bowl of warm water between strokes? How good is this method? I wanna use a bowl like the one below. ( Sit it on a table).

It works fine I do it all the time. I just soak my brush in the bowl with hot water then use the bowl to dip clean the razor afterwards between passes .

15 541
 08-22-2015, 05:13 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 05:10 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 03:20 PM)nubirth Wrote: Newbie here. Im gonna be getting into wet shaving. My problem is, my bathroom sink is very small. I CAN use it to wetshave, but ive been thinking about a alternative method. I know you have to keep your blade clean between strokes when shaving. Instead of using running water, what if i dip my razor into a bowl of warm water between strokes? How good is this method? I wanna use a bowl like the one below. ( Sit it on a table).

It works fine I do it all the time. I just soak my brush in the bowl with hot water then use the bowl to dip clean the razor afterwards between passes .

Thanx. It may have seen like a stupid question, but i wasnt sure how clean the razor would get by dipping it into water instead of under the faucet like i have been doing.

0 7
 08-23-2015, 02:32 AM
User Info
I just bought a 7 inch diameter pewter bowl made by Tiffany & Co.
I have no idea how large it is.
It's too large for my shave den that I haven't tried it yet.

2 122
 08-23-2015, 08:56 AM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 05:13 PM)nubirth Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 05:10 PM)Hanzo Wrote:

Thanx. It may have seen like a stupid question, but i wasnt sure how clean the razor would get by dipping it into water instead of under the faucet like i have been doing.
Just agitate the razor a few times in your basin/bowl. That is satisfactory during the shave. Afterwards, remove the blade and then you can thoroughly rinse/clean/dry your razor. Welcome to the Nook. 

39 3,949
 08-24-2015, 08:01 AM
User Info

1 417
 08-24-2015, 02:15 PM
User Info
I do the opposite. I use a small rinsing bowl in a large sink.

81 1,368