08-22-2015, 05:57 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I almost died. What a horrible scent. I thought people compared it to the omega soap which I use faithfully and really enjoy... How does someone even think that's in the same ball park. Unless I smelled a bad batch or it smells different when wet. I can absolutely say I would never use it..

Luckily I put it back on the shelf and didn't have to bring it home and shave with it. God must have been watching over me very carefully today. 

If you use proraso I have no ill feelings and expect none in return.

I was just really expecting a soap very similar if not the same in scent as the omega soa and was surprised at what came out of that tub. That's what disappointed me.

Anyone else have an experience like this with proraso green?

3 227
 08-22-2015, 06:03 PM
User Info
I really enjoy Proraso green. It has a stimulating eucalyptus/menthol scent and offers better than average protection. You can do much worse. Never tried the Omega.

39 3,952
 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
I like proraso green. Some how I got some blue in the box with my daughters new Minnie mouse bed set. The blue smells like soap.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 06:15 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 06:08 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I like proraso green. Some how I got some blue in the box with my daughters new Minnie mouse bed set. The blue smells like soap.
Proraso Blue is a great performer for me. The scent grew on me when I 3017'd a tub.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-22-2015, 06:20 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 06:15 PM)Bruce Wrote:
(08-22-2015, 06:08 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I like proraso green. Some how I got some blue in the box with my daughters new Minnie mouse bed set. The blue smells like soap.
Proraso Blue is a great performer for me.  The scent grew on me when I 3017'd a tub.

All evidence has been buried.  All tapes have been erased.

It seemed to be a better performer than green just by pal lathering it. It doesn't smell bad,just exactly like a bath soap.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 06:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Never tried Omega. Don't mind the green, can live without the blue, but the red? OMG!!!! P-Red is heaven, pure heaven Biggrin

7 2,359
 08-22-2015, 06:45 PM
User Info
I didn't care for the red, I do like green. It's not something I use for the scent, but is a nice product on a summer day.

3 202
 08-22-2015, 06:50 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I will agree with op I was down at west coast shaving awhile back and got to smell them both green and red smelled awful and cheap to me. Glad I got to smell them before buying would have been disappointed and would have sold instantly.

23 598
 08-22-2015, 07:12 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I like the green. It's a scent I would expect in an Italian barbershop. It has a  medicinal smell to me.

77 1,394
 08-22-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
Proraso is cheap great classic soaps.
The scents are not the most delicate nor the most artistic smelling scents, they are in your face.

But I like them - the Blue is an acquired taste, but the blue performs awesome.
The green is very rough in your face, and I mostly mix it with other soaps or creams to tame the strong scent a bit, but I do enjoy it, just tamed down a bit.

24 6,019
 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 07:24 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Proraso is cheap great classic soaps.
The scents are not the most delicate nor the most artistic smelling scents, they are in your face.

But I like them - the Blue is an acquired taste, but the blue performs awesome.
The green is very rough in your face, and I mostly mix it with other soaps or creams to tame the strong scent a bit, but I do enjoy it, just tamed down a bit.

+1 I keep a tube of proraso green just to add a little menthol kick to certain soaps. It's refreshing

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 03:20 AM
User Info
Love the Green.

15 404
 08-23-2015, 03:32 AM
User Info
I quite like the medicinal scent that the green has, but i do prefer the scent of the white tub though, didn't really care for the Red tub.

7 787
 08-23-2015, 03:52 AM
User Info
Proraso green is my one of favorite soap, followed closely by the white.  They have great performance and of course YMMV for the scent.  I sniffed the white last year and didn't like it but a few months back it was on sale and having read a lot about it I took the chance.  I'm glad I did because once lathered up it really smelled nice, at least for me, and performance is great, same as the green.  The red is not something I enjoy and only use it occasionally, I have a tub of blue on the way and will have to see how it does.  As stated in the previous post, it's good that you were able to smell it before buying it.

18 468
 08-23-2015, 04:07 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
That's too bad Scoti but everyone has scents they like or dislike. The Proraso Green smells medicinal to me as does the MdC I have and I like both. The Proraso Red I gave away. The Proraso that surprised me was the Blue, smells like licorice to me for some reason and I like it also.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-23-2015, 04:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
To the OP, up until about 2 years ago, the Omega and Proraso Green were the same.  Omega switched manufactures about 2 years ago, so that is why they have different scents now.  But at one time they were the same except for the color of the tub.

179 23,934
 08-23-2015, 05:25 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(08-22-2015, 05:57 PM)Scoti Wrote: I almost died. What a horrible scent. I thought people compared it to the omega soap which I use faithfully and really enjoy... How does someone even think that's in the same ball park. Unless I smelled a bad batch or it smells different when wet. I can absolutely say I would never use it..

Luckily I put it back on the shelf and didn't have to bring it home and shave with it. God must have been watching over me very carefully today. 

If you use proraso I have no ill feelings and expect none in return.

I was just really expecting a soap very similar if not the same in scent as the omega soa and was surprised at what came out of that tub. That's what disappointed me.

Anyone else have an experience like this with proraso green?

Come on! It smells like clean, fresh soap. Not the grandiose experience but it feels (and smells better) great while shaving.

18 415
 08-23-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
Now I have c.o. bigelow but from my research it's the old green formula with the parabens. The smell was definitely acquired, I wasn't a fan from the start. But the performance was great and I enjoyed the clean feel it left. Eventually the scent grew on me. I'll probably always have some proraso or c.o. bigelow in the nook,

28 777
 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
I'm a fan of the red scent, blue is not bad , green is not bad either. I wouldn't mind shaving with any of them I just don't happen to own them anymore.

63 1,597
 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 06:35 PM)chazt Wrote: Never tried Omega. Don't mind the green, can live without the blue, but the red? OMG!!!! P-Red is heaven, pure heaven Biggrin

The Red is nothing short of outstanding. Not just top shelf rather top floor. There are other soaps that may have a better scent,  like MDC, but performance-wise, it is in my top list, together with Mike's. 

I like the green as well. It is the only soap i keep buying over and over.  When it is brand new, there is some "smell" when you first open it. It contains a ton of menthol and eucalyptus oil, that have some vapor that accumulates in the box. It evaporates after the first use. Once it does, the scent is exactly as written on the box: eucalyptus and menthol - strong. A wonderful thing in summer... And winter.   It happens as well, to some degree with other soaps. MWF and MDC come to mind, those two used to irritate my skin at first. 

About Omega: I had a tub of Omega soap once. It was passable. I used to come back to it every now and then just to get the same "meh" results, at the end i just tossed it.  I found Proraso (green) to be much better, in every respect.

Proraso can take the same formula, swap the eucalyptus with lavender and menthol with sage, stick it in a fancy tub made of wood or metal, slap a badly printed sticker with a picture of a someone's grandma's mustache, call it "boutiqué linea" and charge 60 euros for it easily. But they are too serious for that kind of nonsense.

6 861