08-22-2015, 07:18 PM
User Info
Hey guys just curious how you lather the fat. Some guys load for 2-3 minutes and add very little water,while some add extra water. This is probably the most YMMV soap there is and I'm curious to how you guys lather it.  I've tried loading more loading less and playing with the water. Not sure how I prefer it to be honest and it always gives a great shave. Just curious how you guys do it and maybe improve my perfect lather. I used to prefer my MWF drier but recently ,accidentally as a matter of fact I added way too much water. I tried the lather wetter than usual and actually think I prefer it like this now.

3 1,356
 08-22-2015, 08:35 PM
User Info
I have hard water in my area. I start with a heavily shaken brush and do a very heavy load. Sometimes adding a few drops in this step if I feel it's not picking up enough soap. Then when brush is heavily loaded go to the face. I spend time building adding water in slowly and thoroughly until it has that great hydrated sheen I'm looking for. It very slick at this point.

Hopefully merkur man will chime in as I saw a post of his that had maybe the best MWF lather I have seen in a pic. I'd take all his advice and run with it!

82 2,208
 08-22-2015, 08:55 PM
User Info
Lathering for 2-3 minutes is preposterous and my wrist would get tired by then. It lathers just like any soap. 20 seconds is more than enough. I have hard water and have never had the slightest problem with it. No upside down loading or soaking or other unnecessary tricks.

A member of a different shaving forum did an experiment where someone from a hard water area sent him some of their water and he tried it both ways. He actually preferred the hard water... http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...wer-inside

You will find people will want to blame everything but themselves. Always looking for a scapegoat. In this case hard water. Some will want to even come up with bizarre explanations like that other people from their area are secretly using soft water or having the city deliver different water just for them (personal story).

18 713
 08-22-2015, 09:08 PM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 08:55 PM)fram773 Wrote: Lathering for 2-3 minutes is preposterous and my wrist would get tired by then. It lathers just like any soap. 20 seconds is more than enough. I have hard water and have never had the slightest problem with it. No upside down loading or soaking or other unnecessary tricks.

A member of a different shaving forum did an experiment where someone from a hard water area sent him some of their water and he tried it both ways. He actually preferred the hard water... http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...wer-inside

You will find people will want to blame everything but themselves. Always looking for a scapegoat. In this case hard water. Some will want to even come up with bizarre explanations like that other people from their area are secretly using soft water or having the city deliver different water just for them (personal story).

Def no 2-3 mins here. I load all of my soaps heavily cause if I don't I'll never see the end of a puck! Despite the hard water here I get fantastic results. My father has a water softener at his house and I have lathered both places and I see no difference honestly.

82 2,208
 08-22-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
I soak my puck for a few days when its new, it expands to fit the dish,and it also fixes most of the problems people have lathering this soap. If it takes someone loading their brush for 2-3 minutes then so be it as long as they enjoy this soap. I've done heavy and light loading myself . also loaded an almost dry brush with a puck formed to a shave mug with water on the puck itself and just built the lather in the same mug as the soap. That works very well but you get a ton of lather. FWIW the wife likes the fat so I have 3/pucks

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 04:03 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is the way I do it no matter what kind of water I'm using or what kind of brush I'm using.

[Image: v2p0sA2.jpg]

178 23,809
 08-23-2015, 04:46 AM
User Info
(08-22-2015, 09:26 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I soak my puck for a few days when its new, it expands to fit the dish,and it also fixes most of the problems people have lathering this soap. If it takes someone loading their brush for 2-3 minutes then so be it as long as they enjoy this soap. I've done heavy and light loading myself . also loaded an almost dry brush with a puck formed to a shave mug with water on the puck itself and just built the lather in the same mug as the soap. That works very well but you get a ton of lather. FWIW the wife likes the fat so I have 3/pucks

That's pretty much how I do mine. Never had an issue.

147 3,537
 08-23-2015, 04:58 AM
User Info
I've got a puck that's been sitting unwrapped for more than a year. I guess it's time to break it out...

10 1,669
 08-23-2015, 05:04 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 04:58 AM)number six Wrote: I've got a puck that's been sitting unwrapped for more than a year. I guess it's time to break it out...

That you should my friend. Ignoring the Fat is a sin and again several international laws.

147 3,537
 08-23-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
For me, like any other soap.  Soak the brush, shake out a little water, and then lather it up.  Guess I am fortunate.  I have never encountered problems lather MWF.

Ed

22 752
 08-23-2015, 05:31 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
May be I'm lucky, but I just leave it soaking for 2 minutes and I get perfect lather without any special technique.  By the way, I load all my soaps like I hate them.

18 415
 08-23-2015, 07:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-23-2015, 05:11 AM)LookingGlass Wrote: For me, like any other soap.  Soak the brush, shake out a little water, and then lather it up.  Guess I am fortunate.  I have never encountered problems lather MWF.

Ed

What Ed said.

7 2,145
 08-23-2015, 08:17 AM
User Info
I superlather 9/10 times, and MWF 10/10 times.
Mix it with a great soft cream with a more dominant scent (admittedly MWF has a quite boring soapy smell) and always get a great shave as a result.

But I always load the latest living sh*t out of it with my brush. Remember to remove the first thin bobly lather you get. Then just continue loading until soap is all over the brush

24 5,965
 08-23-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 04:58 AM)number six Wrote: I've got a puck that's been sitting unwrapped for more than a year. I guess it's time to break it out...

Has it been wet before? If it has you might want to let it soak in some water first for some reason EVERytime I've neglected my MWF after its been used I pay for it. Once the soap gets hydrated again though things get back to normal.

HOw did you go a year with one of if not the best Shaving soap just sitting around? Have you ever used it at all?? If you haven't your in for a treat.

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 09:56 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 08:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I superlather 9/10 times, and MWF 10/10 times.
Mix it with a great soft cream with a more dominant scent (admittedly MWF has a quite boring soapy smell) and always get a great shave as a result.

But I always load the latest living sh*t out of it with my brush. Remember to remove the first thin bobly lather you get. Then just continue loading until soap is all over the brush

When I was talking about letting the luck soak when new this is one of the things it fixes . Don't know how don't know why but ever since I started soaking the new puck that thin lather your talking about is not thin or airy anymore,it behaves like other soaps.

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 10:08 AM
User Info
I rub the wet soap in my wet face and work the brush.

Enviado do meu telégrafo usando Tapatalk.

0 163
 08-23-2015, 10:45 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/07/23...ving-soap/

I don't have a problem with MWF at all. I do notice a slight improvement using distilled water over tap but that's true for me with Tabac and other soaps as well.

Never let the MWF soap puck dry out. Always store it in an airtight container so that you lather a moist puck. Repeatedly soaking the puck to make lather seems to make lathering it more difficult and to degrade the puck over time.

Always use a boar brush. A stiff boar will eat into the puck and extract more soap for the shaver to lather.

Always face lather. Its hard to bowl lather a soap and very challenging with MWF. Mantic59's youtube video shows the benefits of face lathering MWF beautifully. He builds a nice creamy lather with it on his face showing it at its full potential.

The problem is the way we have overcomplicated using MWF with really elaborate techniques when a few easy to follow steps is all that's needed.

15 541
 08-23-2015, 02:24 PM
User Info
I never really had trouble lathering it either.Not saying I'm anything special or gifted because I get a good lather from it and other people may or may not. I was just curious how other people do lather it. For kicks I've even loaded my brush maybe 5swirls and still got an acceptable lather from it. Granted at my old house it could be a little picky but new house I've never had a problem.

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 02:41 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I do nothing different than any other soap.

7 2,327
 08-26-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
2-3 minutes?!?!?

First, make sure the puck is not too dry if it has been sitting for a while, if it gets dry, i just leave some water on it over night. 

Before the shave, i put sone water on the puck for 10 minutes. That should soften it. 

I just load up the brush and face lather, if the lather is too dry i just add a bit of water to the brush (run it under the tap for a split second) and if it is too watery, just load up more soap. 

There is nothing much too it really.

6 827