08-23-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
To those from Chicago or familiar with the city where would be a good place to stay for a 4 day vacation? I am going with my wife and we want to have a nice romantic getaway and see as many things as we can in the short time we will be there. I don't need a Waldorf Astoria but would like something on par with Hilton. Also, any recommendations on things to do is welcomed. We are planning to go in two weeks and probably going to book a package deal on Expedia.

13 947
 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
You really should check out vrbo.com or airbnb.com

I have used VRBO in the Mountains of North Georgia (Blue Ridge Elijay), Beach (Anna Maria Island, FL) (Nokomis Beach), and Seattle (Queen Anne) and they never failed to exceed my expectations. A 4 day stay in a nice "HOME" and living like a native is the way to go in my opinion.

other than that, I have stayed in the Marriott Water Tower Place, Palmer House, and Ritz Carlton. All were quite fine. I prefer the VRBO for around the same coin because I can shop at a local grocery, cook meals at my convenience and as I said earlier, live like a local.

19 775
 08-23-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
Here is one that would be great for location and views.... http://www.vrbo.com/159001

19 775
 08-23-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
Anywhere near and or on Clark street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 08-23-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
Here is one that would be great for location and views.... http://www.vrbo.com/159001

That is really nice. Thank you for the recommendation, gonna run this by my wife.

13 947
 08-23-2015, 11:42 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 11:35 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: Anywhere near and or on Clark street

Thank you. I will see what's available there too.

13 947
 08-23-2015, 11:44 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 11:39 AM)Hobbyist Wrote: Here is one that would be great for location and views.... http://www.vrbo.com/159001

That is really nice. Thank you for the recommendation, gonna run this by my wife.

It might not be so romantic but if you had  another couple to share the place you are looking at $125 a night for what looks like high quality. I think when you check hotel rates in key areas you aren't going to be too far away from that original figure. The one I linked to is living like a Millionaire for 4 days with those awesome views and nice finishes.

19 775
 08-23-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 11:44 AM)minimalist Wrote:
(08-23-2015, 11:39 AM)Hobbyist Wrote: Here is one that would be great for location and views.... http://www.vrbo.com/159001

It might not be so romantic but if you had  another couple to share the place you are looking at $125 a night for what looks like high quality. I think when you check hotel rates in key areas you aren't going to be too far away from that original figure. The one I linked to is living like a Millionaire for 4 days with those awesome views and nice finishes.

It looks like a very nice place and with stunning views. It will just be the two of us but that price is not bad for what you get and hotels are not cheap from what I can tell. I have to see what my wife thinks first though. One thing we like about hotels is having a nice bar and restaurant to enjoy at night when returning, breakfast included at some, and the pool and exercise room.

13 947
 08-23-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 11:50 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(08-23-2015, 11:44 AM)minimalist Wrote:

It looks like a very nice place and with stunning views. It will just be the two of us but that price is not bad for what you get and hotels are not cheap from what I can tell. I have to see what my wife thinks first though. One thing we like about hotels is having a nice bar and restaurant to enjoy at night when returning, breakfast included at some, and the pool and exercise room.

ALL good points as to the Hotel features that cater to your convenience. The description on the condo states it is in the middle of quite a bustling area but up in the clouds. For me, VIEWS are paramount when selecting a property. Using VRBO or the like to find a true home make for memories you won't regret. Shy of staying in Four Seasons or Ritz properties, I have never had better experiences.

19 775
 08-23-2015, 12:08 PM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 11:59 AM)minimalist Wrote:
(08-23-2015, 11:50 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(08-23-2015, 11:44 AM)minimalist Wrote: It might not be so romantic but if you had  another couple to share the place you are looking at $125 a night for what looks like high quality. I think when you check hotel rates in key areas you aren't going to be too far away from that original figure. The one I linked to is living like a Millionaire for 4 days with those awesome views and nice finishes.

ALL good points as to the Hotel features that cater to your convenience. The description on the condo states it is in the middle of quite a bustling area but up in the clouds. For me, VIEWS are paramount when selecting a property. Using VRBO or the like to find a true home make for memories you won't regret. Shy of staying in Four Seasons or Ritz properties, I have never had better experiences.

The hotels are around that price for nice ones. I think this will be the way to go. My wife is at work so find out in a few hours what she thinks and then purchase if she's up for it. I like the views too, and probably more than the other things I mentioned with hotels. In a big city like Chicago there is nothing better than views of the city and I'm sure the hotels would charge more for a room that has nice views.

13 947
 08-23-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
We stayed at the peninsula Chicago and I can't speak highly enough of it. It was a family vacation, and my Parents paid for it if interested I'll ask him about the price...

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 01:17 PM)Otis375 Wrote: We stayed at the peninsula Chicago and I can't speak highly enough of it. It was a family vacation, and my Parents paid for it if interested I'll ask him about the price...

I found it but its booked. It is a 5 star hotel so pretty sure it would be above my budget but it does look like a nice place to stay. Thank you.

13 947
 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
My Dad's family lives up there I'll get him to call and get some advice on where to stay.

3 1,356
 08-23-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
Anywhere in the  loop (downtown).  I live in Chicago so I have, obviously, no reason to go to a hotel here. Just do a map search on yelp.com and look at reviews.

18 713
 08-24-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
The loop is where the financial area is.  The gold coast is essentially what it sounds like, more expensive...some restaurants and nightlife.  Lincoln Park is a younger yuppy scene with lots of bars and restaurants.  Old Town is...well...older, smaller, but charming with some restaurants and bars.  Wrigleyville is 95% bars and traffic is a nightmare around ball games.  Lakeview is a mix of residential, boring, with a small area called Boys Town which is exactly what you'd think it is.  Wicker Park and a couple other neighborhoods like it are supposedly more for the hipsters.  I wouldn't bother with the south side for a vacation to a new city.

There are a couple of things I would HIGHLY recommend:
1) Go sign up for the architectural boat tour.  You will find that there are a lot of boat tour companies offering these, but only one is the real deal.  Seek out the Architectural Foundation to get tix for the real thing.  You will get a tour of the city by boat and get to see all the amazing buildings.
2) The best pizza is Lou Malnatti.  Order it with a butter crust.  Do not listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.  OK I kid on this but it's good and the wait is tolerable whereas some of the other places can be torture waiting up to 3 hours.
3) If you and your wife are walkers and can handle 4 or 5 hours of exploring, you can walk from downtown (Millennium Park) to the gold coast, along the lake to old town, to lincoln park and end up at the actual park in Lincoln Park which if the weather is nice can be quite pretty.  There is a free zoo in there and a pond with paddle boats and such.  

It's been a couple of years since I've been back but that's what I recommend.

0 131
 08-24-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
(08-23-2015, 03:17 PM)Otis375 Wrote: My Dad's family lives up there I'll get him to call and get some advice on where to stay.

Thanks Justin but I booked it last night to take advantage of cheaper airfare before it goes up. We are staying at Virgin Hotels in the city. It's walking distance from Millennium Park and about 1.3 miles from Naval Pier. It sounds like a good location and has great reviews. I am up for any recommendations on things to do.

13 947
 08-24-2015, 07:57 PM
User Info
Eat pizza

5 28
 08-24-2015, 08:10 PM
User Info
One more thing I forgot to say is the high crime rate. If you want to live you will stay in your hotel room. They don't call it Chiraq for nothing. Just joking of course  Biggrin

18 713
 08-24-2015, 08:13 PM
User Info
Here is a good list of tourist traps in the city http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Nor...G-C-1.html

As a native I haven't been to most of em...

18 713
 08-24-2015, 08:18 PM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:10 PM)fram773 Wrote: One more thing I forgot to say is the high crime rate. If you want to live you will stay in your hotel room. They don't call it Chiraq for nothing. Just joking of course  Biggrin

Sounds like a plan.  Biggrin 

I want to see some Al Capone tourist stuff. Surely there is something there for him right?

13 947