08-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Hello.

I want to replace the label/sticker on a Simpson brush.  I have the brush.  I have a sticker.  I desire tips, techniques, etc to make the removal - replacement as simple and successful as possible.

Thanks

60 1,627
 08-24-2015, 04:45 AM
User Info
I've done one on mine.  It was as easy as getting the old surface clean and dirt free, make sure it is bone dry (let it dry for a couple days) and then apply the sticker where you want.

Start in the middle, work your way out with your finger and hope for no bubbles.  If the surface is somewhat flat, it shouldn't be a problem.  Even a small bubble or crinkle looks OK on them, I've grown to appreciate the stickers and have them show some flaws, bubbles, crinkles, discoloration etc.  I also like them so they are NOT covering any part of the engraving, but sometimes that isn't possible.

I'll probably be looking to do one of mine soon too as I have a nice D3 with a bulbish knot headed my way that is stickerless.

8 2,718
 08-24-2015, 06:49 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
One other piece of advice - once you have positioned the decal - DON'T rub, just position, ensure the transparent top sheet is in tension to avoid creases and then peal the top sheet back to reveal the decal.  Rubbing the top sheet causes it to move very slightly and this damages the fine detail of the decal.

1 225
 08-24-2015, 06:55 AM
User Info
I would rub some alcohol on the handle where old sticker was tonget rid of the old guy and clean it up if its needed. Also find something you can smooth the sticker out if need be or get the bubbles out

3 1,356
 08-24-2015, 07:01 AM
User Info
Use a wornish (clean) pencil eraser to smooth it out. (gentle!)

39 3,958
 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
If you hold the decal in tension let it contact in the centre and then slowly wrap the decal around the handle holding it in tension you will not get air bubbles. If you rub you WILL damage the decal gold and black detail. I've screwed it up twice and done it well twice!

1 225
 08-24-2015, 09:37 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Don't rub the decal as the printed logo is on the surface of the sticker and will come off... as P.B said above, keep tension on the sticker as you apply it and it will adhere air bubble free. 

Plus if your applying to an acrylic handle you have one or two attempts to fix the initial placement of the sticker as it doesn't really immediately grab onto the handle aggressively nor does it leave residue from my experience.

36 1,336
 08-24-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
Has anyone ever tried experimenting with applying them like screen protectors on a phone?

Some of them (Zagg) come with a small spray bottle mister, you mist the screen face (handle of brush) apply label (being sure not to get a finger print on the sticky portion), smooth out the label (gently with a cloth etc) and if you get it in the wrong position, the small water barrier will allow you to reposition it.  When the water dries, it sticks and won't move.  Even the eBay ones that I buy that don't come with a mister, I have used with success by applying a small spray of mist.

I wish I had a few extra stickers to try it out.

8 2,718
 08-25-2015, 06:18 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Thank you all.

I proclaim this a success!  And here's a photo for evidence.  

Too bad the CH2 handle doesn't fit my hand as well as some others. /sigh/

[Image: gsQbcFE.jpg]

60 1,627
 08-25-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
Looks great!  Good job!  Send it my way  Wink

61 3,796
 08-25-2015, 06:24 PM
User Info
Looks perfect Max, that is one sweet brush.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-25-2015, 06:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Looks great! Nicely done.

7 2,383
 08-26-2015, 03:38 AM
User Info
It doesn't fit in your hand? Well, hand it over to me. I know two hands that would love to grip that handle.

Also, have you considered having no stickers at all (minimalist)?

31 744
 08-26-2015, 03:50 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Well done Max!

29 1,627
 08-26-2015, 04:39 AM
User Info
Looks perfect! And nice work getting a Made in England replacement sticker to keep it's original look.

42 1,200
 08-26-2015, 05:14 AM
User Info
Well done Max! Did you also add some paint to the lettering?  Do you prefer handles larger or smaller than the CH2?

75 2,321
 08-26-2015, 09:37 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(08-26-2015, 05:14 AM)merkur man Wrote: Well done Max! Did you also add some paint to the lettering?  Do you prefer handles larger or smaller than the CH2?

Thank you!  And thank you others also.

No paint added.  I am the second owner.  It came to me this way.  Well, actually, it came with a sticker that needed replacement.  :-)
  Anyway, I don't think the lettering was ever painted.

As for handles.  Typically I prefer slightly smaller handles.  The 2XL is quite nice.  Also, the Simpson 57 and Duke 3.  There's just something about the CH2 handle that doesn't "fit" me.  ;-(  Too bad too becasue the knots are typically wonderful.

On the matter of handles, one of the most comfortable handles, IMHO, is the vintage Kllenzo B985.  I had one and sold it.  I missed it a lot, so I bought another and re-knotted it with a TGN Finest.  It is one of the most comfortable handles I've ever encountered. 

A close second for comfort is the PJ shape.  I have a vintage Kent in a PJ shape and I quite like it.

As you well know, handle shape is very much a personal preference issue.

Best

MaxP

60 1,627