08-24-2015, 02:37 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
I'm sure everyone here has heard them, negative or quite frankly ridiculous comments about our particular passion, hobby, art, call it what you will. Since I started this journey eighteen months ago, I've been getting all manner of comments from people about shaving this way, which I used to ignore because they are nothing but small-minded ignorance, something I've no time for. Now admittedly, I live in Northern Ireland, a place not exactly known for its broad-mindedness, but I don't think they are unique to here either.
I haven't been about the forum for a while so I thought I'd gather them all up and turn it into entertainment for all of us to enjoy. These are all comments directly aimed at me, not overheard or anything, and all from different people. I'd love to hear the worst you've heard.

1. "Nobody in the right mind would shave with a razor that age, think of all the things you could catch off it"

2. "You have lost it completely (laughter I swear, for at least a minute). What the f*** possessed you to try that? Where the hell did you even get one of those? Bet you got that off that bloody ebay, nothing but the biggest load of s***e on there"

3. "Those old blades will cut the face off you......especially with the age of them.....they corrode you know"

4. "You're only saying you shaved with them, there's no way you can get that close without a Mach 3"

5. "The reason they stopped making them is because they're crap"

6. "A Turkish barber that knows a hell of a lot more than you told me that my rash was caused by shaving my moustache and chin last. He said I need to be shaving them first. It's cured it completely now" - that was from somebody who's shave without incidence, until recently, for forty so years.

7. "You won't even find a barber using them nowadays mate, they all use Gillettes."

8. "I have to shave in eight minutes, you can't shave that fast without a Fusion."

9. "I have to shave in the morning because an hour later I've got a days growth on me"

10. "It's just not possible to get a closer shave than the Fusion. Why do you think the only razors on the market are the Fusion and that Wilkinson Sword one?"

11. "All that preparation is rubbish, all I do is give myself a few splashes with hot water and I get the closest shaves possible........sure that's what the lubricating strip's for"

12. "My beard's that tough that only a Fusion is sharp enough to cut through it. It takes that many blades to cut through it"

13. "The way modern blades are made, they're ground in a way so they last longer"

14. "You'd listen to anything online. The only people that have time to be online haven't a f*****g clue, they've never worked a day in their lives." (Aimed primarily at forums, but directly shaving related)

15. "Those old blades are too stiff, you need flexible blades to glide over the skin better so you don't tear the skin off you"

16. This one was to my daughter, a DE and SE user, "The way your daddy shaves is all wrong but I didn't want to say anything to his face. Wait til you see the trouble he has, he'll end up cutting the face off himself."

17. "By the time you're going to run around and find all that old stuff, razors and blades, it's going to be far cheaper buying a Fusion.....Fusion blades aren't expensive, I'm getting mine in Sainsburys, think they're only about £18 or something for eight........I'll tell you something now, you'll not get them any cheaper than that anywhere because I've looked.........the price per shave is cheaper than any other method."

18. "The one good thing about the new razors, they're far lighter. Those old razors cut your face because they were too heavy, they were solid steel you know. The Hydro can just glide over your skin"

19. "They weren't cheap either but then they're the only safety razor blades still being made today and you can only get them in Turkey. The guy that sold them said its because nobody uses them anymore." - about Derby blades.

20. Why the f*** would you go backwards? Everything gets improved and improved. You might as well start shaving with a bit of flint!"

21. "I'm using Gillette Fusion Gel because it's meant to work with the razors. A fellow was telling me that it doesn't dull the blades. I've used all the other soaps and they were rubbish, wouldn't lather worth a damn"

To which I replied, "Which ones? How much were you putting on the brush?"

"What do you mean a brush? I wouldn't have a brush near me, you don't need them anyway, soaps nowadays are all brushless. They only cause rashes, all that palava (?)takes way too long with a brush". My father used a brush and he never had a good shave in his life."
I actually knew his father, he was immaculately shaved and used a straight razor his whole life.

The following are comments I've been subjected to by shop staff -

22. "Everyone threw out those type of razor years ago so there are very few of them around.........Some people like to display them, no idea why though, they were terrible. That's why you see so many men in old photos with beards"

23. "That's a Rolls Razor, it was made by Rolls Royce that made the cars. They were made with the best of stuff but they never caught on because they were so sharp. There are very few left anymore, that's why they're worth so much........you don't want to clean it up, they're worth more in original condition - a no box, dinged up, really dirty, bits missing, Rolls Razor for £50.

24. "Oh my god you what? I didn't think anybody shaved like that. Do you not cut yourself all the time"

25. "What do you mean by traditional? Oh right, with a brush? (much laughter) I thought you were going to tell me you shaved with one of the old safety razors!

So there you go, I hope you've been suitably entertained and I look forward to hearing more!

0 246
 08-24-2015, 03:12 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Oh those poor souls...

10 376
 08-24-2015, 03:42 AM
User Info
Actually have yet to hear anything negative. Most people are intrigued and I have helped, so far, 5 co-workers transition over from cartridges. Most are intimidated right off thinking they will have to pay a fortune for everything and not knowing what to get etc. After a few shaves that passes and start looking around for more stuff lol.

147 3,534
 08-24-2015, 04:01 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-24-2015, 03:42 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Actually have yet to hear anything negative. Most people are intrigued and I have helped, so far, 5 co-workers transition over from cartridges. Most are intimidated right off thinking they will have to pay a fortune for everything and not knowing what to get etc. After a few shaves that passes and start looking around for more stuff lol.

My experience too; no negative comments.  I also use and collect vintage fountain pens and I find most people are intrigued perhaps a bit bewildered by this, but not derisory.

7 909
 08-24-2015, 04:16 AM
User Info
None from my experience, but I don't go around preaching about wet shaving Biggrin. That's why I participate here, so I don't have to do that.

61 3,796
 08-24-2015, 04:41 AM
User Info
In the twenty five years I have lived in my own private residence, I have never had a single conversation about shaving that wasn't with my wife or son.

15 403
 08-24-2015, 05:12 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, shaving just does not come up in every day conversation unless you insert it into it. People just don't care how others shave. If you do bring it up those seem to be natural reactions from what I have seen and heard. I am happy with what i am doing shave wise and don't feel the need to convert others as they are happy with what they are doing. The way a person shaves is just not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-24-2015, 05:21 AM
User Info
It is hard to believe you didn't make those up...  I haven't heard something like that. Those comments belong on YouTube...

On the other hand I don't go around advertising it. Some people go around telling everyone like it is some kind of religious cult. I don't care how others shave.

18 713
 08-24-2015, 05:52 AM
User Info
Most of my conversations about shaving come up due to our work conditions. Extremely hot during summer and people gripe about there razor burn with sweating etc. and just goes from there. Other times they just over hear my self and another manager who also wet shaves, talk about it and they start asking questions.

147 3,534
 08-24-2015, 06:09 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
(08-24-2015, 05:21 AM)fram773 Wrote: It is hard to believe you didn't make those up...  I haven't heard something like that. Those comments belong on YouTube...

On the other hand I don't go around advertising it. Some people go around telling everyone like it is some kind of religious cult. I don't care how others shave.

I don't read youtube comments now, life is way too short, it really seems to bring out the worst in people for some reason.
I've only brought shaving up when others have complained about their own shaves, or in secondhand shops or pharmacies, etc, when shaving ephemera is brought up. Some people, including family members have seen items in my bathroom and they're usually the worst if I'm honest.
I'm actually a very private person so even most friends don't know I shave as I do, same goes for my main passion, fishing, it's none of their business. I guess they just don't have anything else to discuss about me so they feel the need to release their ignorance about certain subjects.

0 246
 08-24-2015, 06:40 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 04:16 AM)hrfdez Wrote: None from my experience, but I don't go around preaching about wet shaving Biggrin. That's why I participate here, so I don't have to do that.

Same here. I got tired of the old timers(no offense) telling me how bad de razors will cut you and there's a reason thy quit making them etc.

3 1,356
 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM
User Info
That was some funny stuff, Gordy -- I could hear the Irish intonation in a lot of them!

I have never had occasion to discuss the hobby in public. I've only ever talked about it a little with my brother and a couple of friends.

8 915
 08-24-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
I don't tell anyone. So, I've never heard a negative or uninformed comment.

I have heard comments from folks at work about how nice my aftershave smells, and a few compliments on how clean shaven I was (perhaps prompted by the fact that I used to go without shaving for a day or two fairly regularly because I didn't like shaving).

A couple times I've had friends over, and the guys used my den to wash up before dinner. Needless to say (it's impossible to miss) the fellas noticed my collections, and that became a pleasant topic of discussion for the rest of the evening. One is also an adherent, and has the same razors as me, and another has been spotted at Men's Essentials checking out how he can save money.

1 397
 08-24-2015, 09:19 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I don't have much occasion to share with people but when it comes up, most people are very interested (male and female).

I have gifted starter sets [razor, blades, brush, soap] 5 or 6 times and even if skeptical at first, they are all converts now!

Never had any negative that I can recall.

2 1,180
 08-24-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
I think the most frequent negative comment I hear is about the amount of time it takes. I guess I can't argue, because it does take a while, but I'm not really trying to rush myself through a fairly pleasant experience.

0 1,070
 08-24-2015, 09:22 AM
User Info
Imagine if you told them you were a bicycle racer or musician?

36 892
 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(08-24-2015, 09:21 AM)Shannon Wrote: I think the most frequent negative comment I hear is about the amount of time it takes. I guess I can't argue, because it does take a while, but I'm not really trying to rush myself through a fairly pleasant experience.

I often go for a quick shave during the week, absolute max of three passes and most often lately two.

On the weekends, I go for the full treatment and chase that BBS as I find it relaxing.

2 1,180
 08-24-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 06:09 AM)Gordy Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 05:21 AM)fram773 Wrote: It is hard to believe you didn't make those up...  I haven't heard something like that. Those comments belong on YouTube...

"I don't read youtube comments now, life is way too short, it really seems to bring out the worst in people for some reason.
I've only brought shaving up when others have complained about their own shaves, or in secondhand shops or pharmacies, etc, when shaving ephemera is brought up. Some people, including family members have seen items in my bathroom and they're usually the worst if I'm honest.
I'm actually a very private person so even most friends don't know I shave as I do, same goes for my main passion, fishing, it's none of their business. I guess they just don't have anything else to discuss about me so they feel the need to release their ignorance about certain subjects."
I kind of figured out from your avatar what your main passion was. Mine too.

15 403
 08-24-2015, 10:33 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
"I don't get why you shave. Grow beard."

0 1,053
 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I have had a few people tell me I will kill myself with that razor (DE).  One slip and that is it.  I just chuckle as the miss out on all the fun we have!

2 479