08-24-2015, 07:13 AM
User Info
I've been wet shaving for about 14 months now. I started with the EJ89 and made the big leap right into stainless razors with a 5 piece ATT set. Then I moved on to the Wolfman where I've been quite happy. I skipped right over the most cost-effective approach to this hobby, the vintage market, for a number of reasons. First, is because I didn't know how to spot a good deal but the main reason it because I was a little unsure about which model to buy--Old, New OC, New SC, Tech, Aristocrat, Ball End, Double/Single Ring, Milady, Fat Boy, FaTip, Red Tip, Black Beauty, RFB and on and on. And then there's the after market guys like Razor Emporium & Delta Echo. Then of course is the underlying fear that I'll try to collect them all.

I first thought I'd start with a Tech but that might be a bit on the mild and perhaps mundane side, so I reckoned on making a Gillette New my first vintage acquisition. A well respected wet shaver once told me that he had tried close to 60 razors and that the Gillette New Long Comb is the best razor ever made. I've seen owners of both say they can't really tell a difference between the LC and the SC when shaving so I thought that even though I hated the ATT OCs, I'd start with a New. I've participated in a bunch of online auctions and they all settle around $25, so when I saw someone selling a New SC that looked to be in really great shape for $18 shipped I jumped on it.

I received it Friday, cleaned it up and then loaded it with an Astra SP (my baseline blade). I used CRSW Citrus because it provides lather like no other soap, and proceeded to shave. I usually don't shave on the weekend, so by Sunday night I often have 3 days of growth. I have yet to have a bad shave with a 3 day beard. The real test is with one day's worth of stubble. So with all things ideal for testing the new razor--familiar blade, ideal soap and good stubble length--I performed my usual 2.5 passes. Despite my prior difficulty with OC razors, I managed to achieve a BBS (missed a few spots) shave on my first try. It was a surprisingly comfortable experience. The angle was intuitive but even deviating from it yielded no discomfort. There was no residual burn or irritation of any kind.

Surprisingly it shaved my neck better than my Wolfman. But that was with 3 days of growth. Tonight's shave with one day of growth will be the true test. If it works out as well as last night's shave this'll definitely be a keeper. Though I'm not a fan of gold tone and this thing's so gold it's almost orange, so if I keep it I'll definitely be having it replated.

tl;dr I tried a Gillette New for the first time and liked it.

9 329
 08-24-2015, 07:42 AM
User Info
The older Gillettes are the only DE razors I use anymore, best DE shavers I've tried, and I've been thru pretty much the gamut of New Stainless double-edge razors issued in the past few years.

Shaved today with my New Standard and a vintage Polsiver, 1st time I've used it in awhile and was impressed - it gives my daily driver (Mongoose) a run for its money!

53 1,199
 08-24-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
Agree with you on the NEW SC.  It's one of 2 vintage razors I'm keeping (The other is a Red Tip) now that I have an Ikon #102, a Razorock Baby Smooth, and soon...the Wolfman!  

FWIW I feel that you need one of the sharper blades for the NEW, because it is mild by design and it's very light.  One of the best comments I've read on the forums was how a duller blade combined with a mild design is the worst combination, because it makes you unconsciously use more pressure to try to get rid of the stubble.  And it's true!  One of my worst shaves was my NEW with a Rapira Supersteel.  Ouch.  Astras I think would be great, along with Polsilvers, Gillette Platinums, or Nacets.  

One thing I'm going to do is try a heavier handle with the NEW and see if it makes the shave a little easier.  F=MA I think applies to conventional (Non-Slant) razors, so some more mass and a sharp blade seems like the way to go.

11 973
 08-24-2015, 03:15 PM
User Info
I to started with the EJ89 and a couple others but really find myself going back to the adjustable Gillettes more often than not.  I like the feel of the razors and the results are excellant.

4 465
 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 02:48 PM)surfshaver Wrote: Agree with you on the NEW SC.  It's one of 2 vintage razors I'm keeping (The other is a Red Tip) now that I have an Ikon #102, a Razorock Baby Smooth, and soon...the Wolfman!  

FWIW I feel that you need one of the sharper blades for the NEW, because it is mild by design and it's very light.  One of the best comments I've read on the forums was how a duller blade combined with a mild design is the worst combination, because it makes you unconsciously use more pressure to try to get rid of the stubble.  And it's true!  One of my worst shaves was my NEW with a Rapira Supersteel.  Ouch.  Astras I think would be great, along with Polsilvers, Gillette Platinums, or Nacets.  

One thing I'm going to do is try a heavier handle with the NEW and see if it makes the shave a little easier.  F=MA I think applies to conventional (Non-Slant) razors, so some more mass and a sharp blade seems like the way to go.
You're going to like the Wolfman.  It's a great shaver and man is it beautiful.

I was about to use a PolSilver in but it's been so long since I've used one.  I wanted a better baseline when comparing.

9 329
 08-24-2015, 04:30 PM
User Info
Cost me $16 and probably shaves as well as any razor I own.

[Image: 1346FD57-5E3A-42BD-8623-B7B3B12F14B9_zpsoe3hwfz1.jpg]

11 195
 08-24-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
I really like NEWs. Fun part is if you want to try something different you can always shim it and/or change handles. Its very versatile. 
Now, if you like it you should really try a RFB, a De Luxe, and ....  Angel

BTW, for me too this is basically the only OC I truly enjoy.

8 1,127
 08-25-2015, 06:43 AM
User Info
There are so many good razors, new and vintage, that whatever I tend to grab in the morning I get a good shave. The blade is important but even any blade is good enough for one shave. The sharper and better blades like Astra, Gillette Black, Super Iridium, Feather and the like I can use multiple times. Derby and Merkur is once and into the blade bank. Surprisingly, the blades from CVS are very good. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite razor out of all that is available. The Gillette News in all forms are terrific as are all the Gillette adjustables. The Merkurs give great shaves, particularly the Progress. ATT, BBS-1, Wolfman, most slants, the Ikons, Muhle, and I could go on. What a time to be wet shaving!!! Technique and angle is everything and once you have those down you can figure out any razor.

I recognize the above is a little off topic. Would generally agree that the Gillette News are the best of the open combs. I suppose I like the RFB the best of them all which was originally a Rotbart design, I think. But they are all hard choices to make between all the models. Nothing better than a replated New LC like "repete 66219"  has in the gold.

54 324
 08-25-2015, 06:57 AM
User Info
Update: I used it again last night.  With one day of stubble it wasn't quite as comfy as with 3, which is typical.  I am still learning but the angle is just so intuitive.  I think she's a keeper.  Now I just need to save up for a replate because the orange-gold color is not attractive.  Hmmm, rhodium from Razor Emporium or polychrome from Delta Echo?

9 329
 08-25-2015, 07:26 AM
User Info
I may be biased since I'm getting my NEW Long Comb back from Delta Echo soon, but Jay has been great. I just received a detailed report yesterday about the initial condition of the razor I sent him last week. He does some high quality work combined with great customer service.

33 508
 08-25-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
NEW's are great shavers.  I haven't used mine in quite some time, I think is time to take it out for a spin  Smile

61 3,796
 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM
User Info
What have you guys found in stainless handles that fit properly? I don't care for the original handle on my New LC, but haven't found a new one that will snug down properly.

1 58
 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
(08-25-2015, 08:29 PM)AZ Shaver Wrote: What have you guys found in stainless handles that fit properly? I don't care for the original handle on my New LC, but haven't found a new one that will snug down properly.

The handle opening in the bottom ridge of the blade guard for the NEW is variable: I have found that post-merger heads (with the Reissue Patent #) will accommodate most aftermarket handles (including iKon Bulldog).  Triad handles (Toby is a member here) are 8.5mm tips and have fit all my pre-merger heads.  UFO handles (if you are fortunate enough to find one, and have some disposable income) are also <8.5mm tips and fit nicely.  My Weber 1st Gen Classic fits pre-mergers, but my Weber Bulldog does not.  My SABI T-2 does not.  Andy L. at AKASL made me a handle with a <8.5mm tip, and I hope any modern, custom craftsman would/could do the same.  I have had three Triad handles and all have had 8.5mm or less tips. 
Tom

16 91
 08-28-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
Very good information. I need to dig mine out again and try a wider variety of handles; I have gotten several more since I last tried them. It's a great shaver, but the original handle is too slick and short for my liking.

1 58