08-24-2015, 07:17 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
As it happens with all products, there are also shaving products that in my opinion are overpriced. What I mean by that. The performance is far from good or there are better products that cost the half or even less.

My question is: why to buy these products?

If you have in mind examples of overpriced products, feel free to post them.

49 1,999
 08-24-2015, 07:26 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 07:17 AM)nikos.a Wrote: My question is: why to buy these products?

It is my opinion, that many buy them to feel prestigious.  Show them off in SOTD pics and threads.

I've seen people buy stuff, rave about it, post a thread and then sell it the next week.  It's the best ever, can't live without it...then the excitement wears off, they come down to reality and sell it at a minimal loss.

As for a list, most software is greatly overpriced.  I don't know costs involved in stuff, but feel Machined Razors and Brushes probably take more work and skill to make, especially by hand.

8 2,718
 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
It's all relative. If you have the disposable income to pay ( random numbers here) 3 times as much for something that's twice as good then I say get it! You are willing to pay more for the better product even if it's "over-priced" by the above measurement. You simply want the best you can get. It's what everyone wants, the best you can get. Set your own parameters. Many things in life are overpriced because it's part of the allure and in fact, their target market wants it so. Exclusivity.  It states loudly, or with soft, understated tones..... I can afford it.

7 2,328
 08-24-2015, 07:54 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 07:26 AM)Bruce Wrote:

It is my opinion, that many buy them to feel prestigious.  Show them off in SOTD pics and threads.

I've seen people buy stuff, rave about it, post a thread and then sell it the next week.  It's the best ever, can't live without it...then the excitement wears off, they come down to reality and sell it at a minimal loss.

As for a list, most software is greatly overpriced.  I don't know costs involved in stuff, but feel Machined Razors and Brushes probably take more work and skill to make, especially by hand.

I couldn't agree more. Most just won't be as frank about this. In the words of another forum goer" who would admit defeat?" I admit it but many people won't. They'd rather trick themselves into believing they paid for something that was worth it when it wasn't.

Truth is though that everything is overpriced next to Arko. It is certainly better in every way to MdC other than scent. Personally I set my limit at soaps that cost no more than $.10 a use which include PdP an Provence Sante.

18 713
 08-24-2015, 08:01 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info

Great post, Bruce! Thumbsup

Spot on.

49 1,999
 08-24-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info

24 Why you even hangout in here if you feel so strongly about the members?  Doesn't make any sense, but if you want to continue to self torture, by all means, it is entertaining.

61 3,796
 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:26 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

24 Why you even hangout in here if you feel so strongly about the members?  Doesn't make any sense, but if you want to continue to self torture, by all means, it is entertaining.

He must have touched a nerve. Biggrin

18 713
 08-24-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:30 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 08:26 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 07:26 AM)Bruce Wrote: It is my opinion, that many buy them to feel prestigious.  Show them off in SOTD pics and threads.

Not mine, to me is just entertaining.  But I'll bite!

Why?

1.  Overpriced is subjective
2.  It is my money
3.  None of your business how I choose to spend it!

61 3,796
 08-24-2015, 08:37 AM
User Info
What a great thread, I'm psyched.....

61 3,796
 08-24-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
Some guys like ABC, XPEC, you name it...
Some guys like Arko, Palmolive, you name it...

36 893
 08-24-2015, 08:43 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I enjoy trying some of the "marquis" stuff as it seems to have some sort of mythological following and it makes me curious.

I do think some of the higher priced HW is definitely worth the investment. Just my perspective and I certainly don't purchase to share on SOTD threads. It's all about ME Smile

Having said that, what I really love is finding a super value, one that perhaps doesn't have widespread attention, and sharing that with the community.

I think there are far more great values than overpriced stuff as a rule.

2 1,180
 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
User Info
In every hobby there are those that must have the most expensive products. But as for me I love to save money absolutely love my Arko soap and Astra SP blades. After buying my vintage Gillette razors and vintage brushes I'm good to go for quite awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 748
 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:33 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 08:30 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 08:26 AM)hrfdez Wrote: 24 Why you even hangout in here if you feel so strongly about the members?  Doesn't make any sense, but if you want to continue to self torture, by all means, it is entertaining.

Why?

2.  It is my money

I don't think anyone was personally criticising you. I don't think this board exists only to sell things but inform. Such things as Bruce said do happen and newbs are better off knowing that things are not always as they seem. Why make them just waste money?

18 713
 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:44 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 08:30 AM)fram773 Wrote: He must have touched a nerve. Biggrin

Why?

2.  It is my money

I don't think anyone was personally criticising you. I don't think this board exists only to sell things but inform. Such things as Bruce said do happen and newbs are better off knowing that things are not always as they seem. Why make them just waste money?
His first paragraph was enough for me to figure his angle.  Enough said.  Garden variety Bruce!

61 3,796
 08-24-2015, 08:52 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:26 AM)hrfdez Wrote: 24 Why you even hangout in here if you feel so strongly about the members?  Doesn't make any sense, but if you want to continue to self torture, by all means, it is entertaining.

I didn't always feel this way and like others, still enjoying shave talk, learning to refine my shave quality etc.

And as it appears, a few others feel the same way about prices.

Not to mention, there are other aspects of the Shave Forums that aid in other areas....photography, knives, pens, cooking and general finer things. I have overpriced items in my den too and probably always will.

No angle, nothing personal against the OP. He started a thread asking about overpriced shave items and I gave my honest answer. You are free to dismiss it.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-24-2015, 08:54 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:44 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 08:30 AM)fram773 Wrote: He must have touched a nerve. Biggrin

Why?

2.  It is my money

+1.

That's why I posted this thread. 
If anyone wants to spend his money buying overpriced products, that's not my problem...

49 1,999
 08-24-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
Yes there are things overpriced, I just won't buy them. My wife feels nearly ever piece of shave gear is overpriced but its my good around money so she stays out of it. If somebody wants to buy a 60-70-80 dollar soap that we all know stinks then so be it their money and I'm not going to critize anybody for how they spend their money.

3 1,356
 08-24-2015, 08:55 AM
User Info
(08-24-2015, 08:52 AM)Bruce Wrote:

I didn't always feel this way and like others, still enjoying shave talk, learning to refine my shave quality etc.

And as it appears, a few others feel the same way about prices.

Not to mention, there are other aspects of the Shave Forums that aid in other areas....photography, knives, pens, cooking and general finer things.

All evidence has been buried.  All tapes have been erased.

And that's great, but you get out of your way to belittle people that don't agree with you, and your first and second paragraphs are the prove.  

Really?  Who cares how people spend their money?  Certainly I don't.  To pass judgement on people that wish to buy XYC is ridiculous and disrespectful IMO.

61 3,796
 08-24-2015, 08:58 AM
User Info
Where can I get XYC? Does it come in vegan?

36 893
 08-24-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
hrfdez ' Wrote: And that's great, but you get out of your way to belittle people that don't agree with you, and your first and second paragraphs are the prove.  

Really?  Who cares how people spend their money?  Certainly I don't.  To pass judgement on people that wish to buy XYC is ridiculous and disrespectful IMO.

I didn't go out of my way, just express my personal, honest opinion...which I have stated in other threads.

Take away social media and pics on shave forums, people wouldn't have so much stuff and prices would likely come down on soaps. Members here have openly stated that they have certain items in their collection and keep so many, to post SOTD pics.

What more proof do you need?

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718