06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
That's only what I'm calling it for the purpose of this post.

The Omega 599 Silvertip "Enigma" brush. Or, how can a brush so small be the largest brush on the shelf when used for lathering?

I bought one from GMofmiami, and I though it was going to be a small brush. The handle sure is tiny and the brush in it's entirety is the smallest on the shelf. Doing a test lather with it this afternoon, this brush is HUGE when used for lather. It's the smallest brush on the shelf but is the largest when lathering! Yes, an enigma.

I'm betting the design goal was to make a "full size" brush for lathering, but to make it small for travel. Did they ever succeed at that! On the hand it feels easily as big or bigger than my TGN 20mm Finest Fan.

I plan to give it a chance tomorrow.

32 6,309
 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
User Info
Ah Brian,
It was you who beat me to that one. Smile
I'm still looking, so if you don't like it, keep me in mind.
Looking forward to your evaluation!
Mark

6 135
 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Any pics of it,my friend?
It seems like a serious Wee Scot contender.

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
User Info
I have 2 hungry dogs right now, then the big pup (Shadow) wants to spend some "dad" time. But I'll get to it, pics that is.

32 6,309
 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM
User Info
A pic...

With some other brushes as comparisons.

L-R: Simpson Commodore x1, Semogue 1250 handle TGN 20mm Fan, Omega 599 Silvertip, Rooney 3/1, Simpson Special
[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]

It's a tiny full size brush. It feels like a cloud on the skin.

In test lathering it in my hand I think it lacks backbone compared to what I'm accustomed to, but it was a fine lather maker. I didn't think it would perform on soap worth a hoot, so that's exactly where I tested it, but I just loaded longer and it was fine. But tomorrow I'll use it where it counts.

32 6,309
 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 06:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: A pic...

L-R: Simpson Commodore x1, Semogue 1250 handle TGN 20mm Fan, Omega 599 Silvertip, Rooney 3/1, Simpson Special

In test lathering it in my hand I think it lacks backbone compared to what I'm accustomed to, but it was a fine lather maker. I didn't think it would perform on soap worth a hoot, so that's exactly where I tested it, but I just loaded longer and it was fine. But tomorrow I'll use it where it counts.

That puts everything up close and personal. Wow what a bloom to handle ratio on that one!

1 2,827
 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-25-2012, 06:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: A pic...

Looking forward to read your review of it.Looks like a promising tiny brush.

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I agree... crazy bloom for the handle!

0 353
 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I love the little guy. I have his brother with the same handle in badger/boar as well and just got a 627 from Shaving.ie the other day. Omega makes some wonderful brushes.

5 270
 06-26-2012, 04:41 AM
User Info
I owned 1 599 too. extremely soft but totally lacks backbone, too floppy. Undecided

0 37
 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
Well, I agree with Flash, no backbone to the brush, but don't read anything into that statement. I actually liked it for what it is and what the designers achieved.

I use MWF today (posted in SOTD) because of it's reputation for being difficult to lather. I had no problems with that at all. It face lathered the MWF like a champ. There is no backbone, and because of that it felt like I was lathering with a cloud.

I only need lather enough for 2 1/3 passes and the brush easily held enough for 3-4 passes.

I feel the designers wanted a full size brush in a small package for travel. By making the handle small and using these fibers (I haven't tried this) I bet it can go into a very small tube, one just big enough for the handle. I think they succeeded brilliantly in their goal. I'm guesssing that hair with backbone also has a larger base diameter, and that wouldn't work for putting the brush in a tube. The bristles need to "compress" down.

Frankly I didn't think I was going to like the brush and I really had plans to put it up for sale before even trying it, but I like what it is. It will never be a brush I reach for everyday, but I'll allow it a place on the shelf and it'll be used as much as any other brush, in it's turn.

BTW, a Wee Scot it isn't. The WS is tiny everywhere, this brush takes a slightly different path and only sacrifices the size of the handle. I wish I had a WS to put against it for the comparison shot, but I don't.

32 6,309
 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-26-2012, 07:15 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I feel the designers wanted a full size brush in a small package for travel. By making the handle small and using these fibers (I haven't tried this) I bet it can go into a very small tube, one just big enough for the handle. I think they succeeded brilliantly in their goal. I'm guesssing that hair with backbone also has a larger base diameter, and that wouldn't work for putting the brush in a tube. The bristles need to "compress" down.

Hi Brian

I did have its cousin the #11047 (Badger/Boar knot), but had to change out the knot, see here...

I'm not sure if the base is wider on the #11047 (it's the same height 30mm) due to having a 20mm knot, instead of a 18mm knot. Personally I've found the handle size to be more than useable.

I've also found as long as a prescription bottle is wide enough to fit the handle and tall enough to fit the brush, the knot (brush) itself has no problem fitting inside ie "compress" down.

Therefore the #11047 makes (and I'm guessing the #599 would make ) an excellent travel brush, but as you've documented the brush also offers a lot more than just being a handy, small travel brush...

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Here's your comparison shot!
[Image: 2012-05-23_18-56-12_413.jpg]

5 270
 06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
Thanks for that shot!

Here's my solution for traveling with it.

A KFBR sample bottle with the bottom ground off. I tried the radial arm saw and shattered one bottle.

The brush and holder.
[Image: DSC03670-1.jpg]

Just by putting the handle in it and tapping the holder on the surface 3 times (letting gravity and inertia do the work).

Going,
[Image: DSC03671-1.jpg]

Going,
[Image: Untitled-2.jpg]

Gone.
[Image: DSC03673-1.jpg]

Mike, I acquired a pill bottle of the perfect size. It fits as though it was made specifically for this brush. It couldn't be better. A 5/8" hole in the lid completed the carry case.

32 6,309
 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the review and actually,this is a brush I think I will add to my nook,after reading your impressions.

86 7,123
 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
User Info
Teiste my friend, With the brush experience you have I have no doubt it'll be a great performer for you. I'd like to read your review of it.

One thing I didn't test because I don't ever do it is bowl lathering. I think it'll work great there, but again, I never do that. It did work fine on the hand.

I've also never used a Wee Scot, but I bet it has some competition in the 599. I wouldn't hesitate to take the 599 traveling, so much so that I made the travel tube so rapidly. Unheard of for me.

(06-26-2012, 08:01 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 07:15 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I feel the designers wanted a full size brush in a small package for travel. By making the handle small and using these fibers (I haven't tried this) I bet it can go into a very small tube, one just big enough for the handle. I think they succeeded brilliantly in their goal. I'm guesssing that hair with backbone also has a larger base diameter, and that wouldn't work for putting the brush in a tube. The bristles need to "compress" down.

Hi Brian

I did have its cousin the #11047 (Badger/Boar knot), but had to change out the knot, see here...

I'm not sure if the base is wider on the #11047 (it's the same height 30mm) due to having a 20mm knot, instead of a 18mm knot. Personally I've found the handle size to more than useable.

I've also found as long as a prescription bottle is wide enough to fit the handle and tall enough to fit the brush, the knot (brush) itself has no problem fitting inside ie "compress" down.

Therefore the #11047 makes (and I'm guessing the #599 would make ) an excellent travel brush, but as you've documented the brush also offers a lot more than just being a handy, small travel brush...

Take care, Mike

Mike, that's a great idea.

I would buy an inexpensive brush whose handle could be used for the reknot. Someone mentioned the 'lil bambino. A TGN Finest would probably be excellent in it. A Fan if one wanted an even larger feeling brush. A TGN Finest is a really nice knot.

Or turn my own handle. I'm working on that. It's a good winter project.

32 6,309
 06-27-2012, 04:25 AM
User Info
My little 631 is a hell of a brush, every time I looked at the 599 I wanted to take it home, but its not much different from the 631, both have small handles lol.

0 652
 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
  • DE_Dude
  • Ann Arbor, MI
User Info
Very cool looking brush...great pics, guys!

0 12