08-26-2015, 11:51 AM
User Info
I have a shavecraft 101 currently sharing my ej89 barley handle. I was planning to get it a handle of it's own but most handle options are stainless and I'm extremely doubtful of the longevity of a razor where a hard steel handle is repeatedly screwed on and off an aluminium alloy head. My first thought was that I'd get a titanium
handle. It's a better match against the aluminium head and because it's less dense I can get a long, girthy handle without getting too much excessive weight (I don't want it to weigh 100g) Is this a sound plan or am I worrying over steel on aluminium for nothing?

0 12
 08-26-2015, 11:55 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
As long as your not over tightening the handle you should preserve the interface areas. I have combined many handle and head combos without issues. Good luck!

59 4,493
 08-26-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
(08-26-2015, 11:51 AM)Othersteve Wrote: I have a shavecraft 101 currently sharing my ej89 barley handle. I was planning to get it a handle of it's own but most handle options are stainless and I'm extremely doubtful of the longevity of a razor where a hard steel handle is repeatedly screwed on and off an aluminium alloy head. My first thought was that I'd get a titanium
handle. It's a better match against the aluminium head and because it's less dense I can get a long, girthy handle without getting too much excessive weight (I don't want it to weigh 100g) Is this a sound plan or am I worrying over steel on aluminium for nothing?

IIRC titanium and steel at the same Rockwell then TI is going to be stronger. I know from the knife world that TI isn't as strong as steel so when you get a TI lock the steel wears the TI for a stronger fit. What I'm saying is I don't know if you'd be better off or not. I'd go SS if that's what you wanted be careful not to cross thread and dont overtighten.

3 1,356
 08-26-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
I don't really prefer stainless but there are a lot more designs in steel. I have been eyeing these jurgen hempel titanium designs that bullgoose has available. I guess at least I could get them anodised to match the 101 head.

0 12
 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM
User Info
(08-26-2015, 12:54 PM)Othersteve Wrote: I don't really prefer stainless but there are a lot more designs in steel. I have been eyeing these jurgen hempel titanium designs that bullgoose has available. I guess at least I could get them anodised to match the 101 head.

What color is the head? There are only so many colors in the spectrum you can go.

3 1,356
 08-27-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
Stop overthinking it. Unless your ridiculously careless you won't strip the threads on the post.

11 195
 08-27-2015, 12:21 PM
User Info
I admire your confidence in my lack of carelessness. ;-) 
I think I actually prefer the look of the titanium handles anyway at this point and I've found someone who will anodise it the matching satin silver colour with the 101 head. 
Has anyone used one of these wavey handles are they good to hold?

0 12
 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
Could you give us an idea of what the "wavy handle" looks like?  I have a stainless steel "bamboo handle" that is kind of wavy and I love it. 

by the way, I, too, wouldn't worry about using a stainless handle on my Shavecraft 101.  In fact, I just ordered a UFO Kaiser for that express purpose.

2 1,459
 08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
User Info
Ahh yes Wavy handle like the bamboo handle.

0 12
 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
(08-27-2015, 12:50 PM)Othersteve Wrote: Ahh yes Wavy handle like the bamboo handle.

OK.  Yeah.  This handle is really nice.  I didn't really like the look of it, and I kind of thought it wouldn't be for me, but when I put it into actual use, I found out it was a really good handle.

2 1,459
 08-28-2015, 07:43 PM
User Info
Charcoal Goods and get a copper handle or bronze.. problem solved

Although I agree that it isn't maybe even a problem.  A little care and you'll be fine.  However, if you are worried about it, copper would be a good pairing with the color of the shavecraft

20 108
 08-29-2015, 07:05 AM
User Info
OK, so I am coming back into this thread to perhaps modify my earlier proclamations. 

After all this talk about the 101, I realized that I hadn't used mine in a very long time.  So I decided to fire it up for this morning's shave.  

Wouldn't you know it?  I cross-threaded the thing using a stainless handle.  I tried, very carefully, several of my handles to see if I could get one to thread properly and then gave up and shaved with a different razor.  

Yikes.  So, now I have to say that it is potentially a problem. 

On a related note, anybody know how to fix it?

2 1,459
 08-29-2015, 08:23 AM
User Info
I just don't see how it can even happen unless the handle is a poor fit. When using my Shavecraft head on any of my iKon handles it seems almost impossible as they thread very precisely and the stud is long.

11 195
 08-29-2015, 09:54 AM
User Info
It can happen because a stainless steel handle has a lot of mass and alloys of aluminium are a lot softer so if y' spin your handle on the post of your head it can cut its own thread. 
Deltaecho, the craftsmanship on the Charcoal Goods handles, though very impressive is not my cup of tea, but your colourised gillette slims certainly are. I was looking for an adjustable for my father's birthday, I had aimed to purchase a mergress but your Slims look amazing.
For me though, Titanium it is, trying to decide between the spiral style or the Wavy one...

0 12
 08-29-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
I realize it can happen, but if your careful not to cross thread it won't. Guys have been screwing hardened stainless head bolts into aluminum engine blocks for years. Sure you can strip a hole out, but you won't if your careful. Honestly it's worse in that case when the screw is much harder than the material your screwing into.

11 195
 10-31-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
Greetings,

I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one given that it is on topic.

I have a Shavecraft 101 head that I bought a few years ago but probably used less than 20 times. Today, I found that when attaching it to its iKon aluminum handle, the threads were stripped (note that I say "the threads were stripped," not that "I stripped the threads"). I am not ham-fisted! I'm always careful to not cross-thread.

Upon visiting iKon's website, I learned that their warranty is only 6 months. I've got to say I consider this a quality issue. I'm not willing to spring for a new head when I've had a problem that I'd expect to occur again.

Has anyone had the same problem? Any advice? Maybe a different head the would do well with that nice iKon handle? A different top plate that would work with the Shavecraft base plate?

Thanks,
JP

2 205
 10-31-2016, 05:22 AM
User Info
Try buying a thread die (I think they are M5 but you need to verify) and chase the threads. You will need some cutting oil or you can use some all purpose 3-in-1 oil since it's a small piece. You might not be able to chase the entire threaded shaft since the top plate is curved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 10-31-2016, 10:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've been very successful using my iKon 101 and X3 heads with an iKon Bulldog and a Weber Wave. All combinations seem to work flawlessly.

7 2,142
 10-31-2016, 11:35 AM
User Info
JP, I feel like the same thing happened to me.  I was not careless nor was I forceful, but the threads are definitely at least partially stripped now.  Some handles will work and others will not.  It's a crap shoot.  And I hardly ever use it because I worry that the next use might be my last.  

I don't know how to "tap" threads with a "thread die" (I don't even know what that is) and wouldn't have the faintest idea of even where or how to begin.

2 1,459
 10-31-2016, 04:57 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Do you have a Fastenal in your town? They could help you with a die. It's easy to do.

5 527