08-26-2015, 05:02 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Well I've been at quite the cross roads with Williams shave soap. I'll go through periods where I will try it, get pissed and throw it out and then try it again. It's an endless cycle. I tonight nailed a good lather with it and it gave me a solid 2 pass BBS shave. I have the slightest irritation on the neck for 5 minutes afterwards but it's not often I can say I enjoyed a Williams shave because usually I'm reminded how useless it is as a shave soap and wonder why I even bother with it.

I would say its a very temperamental soap. It needs things a certain way and even when it is that way its only mediocre. Its got a great scent and a great slip to it. That's probably it's only saving grace for me. I am not a Williams basher but I will not go as far as saying I am a Williams lover. Its not a bad product for the price and can be made to lather if you keep messing around until you get it right. The trick is keeping the lather from disappearing.  That's what always gets me. A lot of water usually solves that problem.

Anyways gents I just thought id share a little success story with you all.

Cheers,

Scott

3 227
 08-26-2015, 05:34 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
That's how I feel about Lightfoot's Pine soap. It's the first soap I ever used before I knew better and it's still one of my favorite scents. I used to solve the disappearing lather problem by constantly re-lathering before I was even done with a pass.

7 2,322
 08-26-2015, 05:46 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(08-26-2015, 05:34 PM)Mouser Wrote: That's how I feel about Lightfoot's Pine soap. It's the first soap I ever used before I knew better and it's still one of my favorite scents. I used to solve the disappearing lather problem by constantly re-lathering before I was even done with a pass.

I know the pain my friend, I don't like using a soap that I constantly have to re-lather before I'm even done one pass. I'll knock Lightfoot's pine off my list to try. It was on there.

3 227
 08-26-2015, 06:16 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, feel that same way about Williams too. It works but why bother when something like Arko is miles better.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-26-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
Always could get it to work but would have to reload the brush between passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 747
 08-26-2015, 08:36 PM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
43 years ago a U S Army Drill Sargeant taught me his way of making lather with Williams soap and I have used it all these years.

Williams likes a lot of water. Fill your mug with Hot tap water and soak the bristles of your brush in water just as hot. While that is going on you can brush your teeth, shower, or whatever.

Now pour off the water from the soap puck and then just add enough hot water to cover it. Yes, I said cover it.

Now take your brush which has been soaking all this time., run it under the hot tap water till it is good and wet. Just shake it a few times and begin making lather.

This is where faith comes in because you are going to swear that you have way too much water. Keep working the mixture with the brush and in about two minutes you will begin to see some beautiful rich lather.

It might take a time or two to get it adjusted but when you get it adjusted just right it will give you one of the slickest shaves you've ever had. And you're right, the scent is decent too.

Once you get the hang of doing it this way you'll find it makes plenty of lather. I just about always have enough for a three pass shave and enough left over to shave my head. So, that' a lot of latherSmile Give it a try, I hope it works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 29
 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM
User Info
I used the procedure outlined above, and it does help.

0 1,070
 08-27-2015, 10:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've tried using Williams 3 different times. Granted, I didn't use Sarge's method. Maybe I should try again, but for me it wasn't worth the effort. But, that was then, this is now, and now I'm much more competent with a brush, so perhaps I should give it another go. It's certainly cheap enough. I've heard it said that the current formulation is far removed from the product Williams built their name on.

7 2,125
 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM
User Info
I get very nice Williams lather/shaves quite easily.  I do not soak the soap and brush any differently than I would for any other soap.  A little water on top of the soap while the brush is soaking, pour it off, shake out the brush and start lathering on the puck.

I do dispose of the "proto" lather that first develops and keep after the puck.  After about a minute, sometimes less, the brush is loaded and I start face lathering.  Lo and behold, a nice  rich creamy lather is generated and a great shave ensues. 

Williams needs to be hydrated but not to the extent that I read about on the forums. Well, at least not for me.  Of course, YMMV and I do have very soft water.

4 952
 08-28-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
read the OP and all that I can think in response is, why would anyone bother?

0 76
 08-28-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
I have been using Williams exclusively all month. At the start of the month, the lather would collapse quickly. I've also been using the same big Omega 10049 brush all month too. I figured out that Williams like a lot of water and it likes to have a lot of loading. Once I figured that out I was able to get decent lathers/shaves. It's never going to be my go to soap, but I believe I'll always want a puck on hand.

0 26
 08-28-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
(08-26-2015, 08:36 PM)Watash Wrote: 43 years ago a U S Army Drill Sargeant taught me his way of making lather with Williams soap and I have used it all these years.

Williams likes a lot of water. Fill your mug with Hot tap water and soak the bristles of your brush in water just as hot. While that is going on you can brush your teeth, shower, or whatever.

Now pour off the water from the soap puck and then just add enough hot water to cover it. Yes, I said cover it.

Now take your brush which has been soaking all this time., run it under the hot tap water till it is good and wet. Just shake it a few times and begin making lather.

This is where faith comes in because you are going to swear that you have way too much water. Keep working the mixture with the brush and in about two minutes you will begin to see some beautiful rich lather.

It might take a time or two to get it adjusted but when you get it adjusted just right it will give you one of the slickest shaves you've ever had. And you're right, the scent is decent too.

Once you get the hang of doing it this way you'll find it makes plenty of lather.  I just about always have enough for a three pass shave and enough left over to shave my head. So, that' a lot of latherSmile Give it a try, I hope it works for you!

A great read. Thank you for sharing!

21 1,175
 11-26-2015, 11:06 PM
User Info
I haven't used Williams for long, but never had to soak it.

0 157
 11-27-2015, 04:32 AM
User Info
I do not have any problems lathering Williams.  Maybe not as quickly as others but nice lather and a good shave.

Ed

22 752
 11-27-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
In the past I was an apologist for Williams, but no more. Like the OP I went through Williams phases until I finally just used my "last" open puck in the shower to be rid of it. Life is simply too short. I haven't opened another puck and it's been years. :-) Just not enough years.

I used a sort of version of Sarges method, but realized that it's the only soap that requires me to use a specific method to use it and to what end? A shave that any other good soap would give me by much easier methods. I no longer apologize for Williams. I use ARKO when I use a soap with that scent. There was a time when Williams was actually good, but that isn't today. If they return to the formula from yesteryear I might try it again for shaving, but I have a bunch of todays Williams aging :-) and if I ever use it again it'll be in the shower. It actually works OK there and the scent is different than what I normally use.

I just need to add this last bit. I have had one absolutely horrible shave in my life that I remember. It was completely my fault because the lather was terrible and I knew it. I chose to use it anyway. It was Williams froth. The resulting shave burned for 8 hours or so. That was a few years ago when I was first starting. I didn't blame the soap but myself, but I have no doubt that the soap contributed to it, but it was I who continued with the shave rather than rinsing the lather and starting over.

32 6,458
 12-02-2015, 12:35 PM
User Info
It's soaps like that that turned me into a cream guy.

0 135
 12-02-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
Williams and glycerine lather works well for me.

There's a backwards old town that's often remembered. So many times that my memories are worn.

0 13
 12-03-2015, 09:01 PM
User Info
Williams is great. no offense but I find it better then some saintly products from razorock. im not better at lathering then anyone else but Williams  is the only soap I have that doesn't need unicorn tears and a red moon to make lather with.

It doesn't make thick lather, but its slick and enjoyable.

0 157
 07-07-2016, 04:20 AM
User Info
I had my first shave with Williams this morning -- and in my view, it gets rapped unfairly. My results were more than decent, they were very good.

I'd had a lingering curiosity about this product, and a user on another forum graciously sent me a puck of the modern stuff.
He gave me some advice, which underscored a couple of videos that I watched and the "Sarge" method described above.

I soaked the puck overnight (in an old TOBS container) and it took on a pasty consistency.
I loaded for about 60 swirls with an Omega 40033 (lots of backbone) and bowl-lathered, adding dribbles of water to the brush a couple of times.
I would not call it an undue amount of labor

I did note a little dissipation, but the lather was thick and stood up quite well for three passes plus touch-up.
No weepers, slick as everyone says, no itchiness or dryness, and I find the scent agreeable.

Will I use it again? Absolutely.
Will I buy it for myself? Well, I do have a lot of other soaps and creams, and there are many I don't know yet.

I also enjoy the reverse snobbery of this humble soap.

8 915
 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-26-2015, 05:46 PM)Scoti Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 05:34 PM)Mouser Wrote: That's how I feel about Lightfoot's Pine soap. It's the first soap I ever used before I knew better and it's still one of my favorite scents. I used to solve the disappearing lather problem by constantly re-lathering before I was even done with a pass.

I know the pain my friend, I don't like using a soap that I constantly have to re-lather before I'm even done one pass. I'll knock Lightfoot's pine off my list to try. It was on there.

Now interestingly enough Lightfoots shave soap contains no tallow and the lather dissipates fast, but their bath soap does contain tallow and the lather, while it doesn't last lake a proper shave soap should, outlasts the shaving soap. The aroma of either makes them worth getting though.

7 2,322