08-27-2015, 12:15 AM
User Info
I picked up a new Satin Tip from a member here the other day and want to share my experience with it for others who may be considering it. First thing to mention is the size, I didn't measure it but it is smaller than my Plisson 22mm and Whipped Dog 24mm. The loft height is not bad though, maybe a couple mm shorter than the WD and the knot is probably around 21 or 22mm. It is very light which is due to the handle being hollow plastic from what I read, however it feels very good in the hand and has a very good texture for grip. I loaded up with Stirling sandalwood for about 30 seconds to be safe due to the smaller size of the knot and then did a face lather. In action this brush performs as well as other more expensive brushes. It has a lot of backbone, far more than the Plisson and probably about the same as the WD 24mm. The tips are pillow soft for sure, but I don't think they are quite as soft as Plisson and WD but very close. I had no issues with lather at all but it did take a little longer to build since the splay did not cover as much surface area on my face as my other brushes. I wasn't sure at first if I was going to get the exceptional lather that I always get from Stirling because I'm used to it lathering a lot faster with my other brushes but it just took more dips in the water and about 30 seconds or so longer to build. I had enough lather for three full passes and still was able to squeeze the excess out of the brush for touch up. I would say there was enough for 4 passes and that was from a 30 seconds load.

Overall its a very good brush and for those who like a lot of backbone and a smaller brush it is definitely worth trying out, and especially for the price which is $15 if you shop around. I will make use of it as a travel brush since I like a larger brush at home. It came in a nice tube to store it in which also will be nice for traveling. One other thing that impressed me was how fast it dried compared to my other synthetics. It literally dried completely in about 5 or 10 minutes and all I did was shake it a few times and wipe it gently on a towel. Compare that to the Plisson and Whipped Dogs that take a couple hours or so, which isn't bad either compared to badger but still a lot longer than 5 minutes. This is another reason I plan to use it for travel. 

I hope this helps others who may be interested in this brush. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try my best to answer them.

13 947
 08-27-2015, 12:26 AM
User Info
Thank you for the in-depth review! It definitely helps. Best regards.

29 275
 08-31-2015, 07:33 AM
User Info
Glad you went for the Satin Tip. I love mine for my shave cream. Does not take much time to load and covers the face pretty fast for me.  I have tried it with shave soap and it does seem to take longer to load.

0 29
 08-31-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 07:33 AM)spiritsilvers2 Wrote: Glad you went for the Satin Tip. I love mine for my shave cream. Does not take much time to load and covers the face pretty fast for me.  I have tried it with shave soap and it does seem to take longer to load.

I am happy with it and actually using it in my rotation at home too but not as often as my other synthetics. I still can't get enough of my Stirling or Whipped Dog. It is a nice brush for sure though.

13 947
 09-06-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
I have both the black and the white. Got them for $15 each and think they are probably the best bang for the buck brush on the market. I like them just as much as my Plisson or Whipped Dogs. 

[Image: 57A8DC03-F278-453E-9DC7-D9944AF16B27_zpsr3kf2mm8.jpg]

[Image: 9EAA822B-9341-4133-AACA-312A5A663C9A_zpsgbc9kdfb.jpg]

11 195
 09-06-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
Thanks for the nice review.  I am awaiting the delivery of a WD24mm I just purchased.  I have never used synthetics in the past but because of the great reviews on TSN I decided to give them a try.  I think I may just order one of these also. For $15 how can you go wrong?

3 193
 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
Great review - thanks!

28 666
 09-07-2015, 10:45 PM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 04:40 AM)Yellowv Wrote: I have both the black and the white. Got them for $15 each and think they are probably the best bang for the buck brush on the market. I like them just as much as my Plisson or Whipped Dogs. 

It is the best deal out there imo too at $15.00. I brought it with me on vacation this week and enjoyed it very much. The size is not as small as I initially thought either, I think it was the fan shape knot that I wasn't used to but I am liking it even better now after using it more. Small wasn't an accurate description, light weight is what I should have said. Hopefully they will offer it with a heavier handle someday, but its still in my rotation and will always be my travel brush.

13 947
 09-07-2015, 10:49 PM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 10:20 AM)Carbonfreek Wrote: Thanks for the nice review.  I am awaiting the delivery of a WD24mm I just purchased.  I have never used synthetics in the past but because of the great reviews on TSN I decided to give them a try.  I think I may just order one of these also. For $15 how can you go wrong?

Go for it. If nothing else it is the perfect travel brush due to how fast it dries and the nice tube case that is included with it. 
Hope you like your WD, it is an excellent brush. I am waiting for the 30mm to be back in stock so I can put it in a custom Wolf Whiskers handle.

13 947