08-28-2015, 06:20 PM
User Info
As the title said I got a little bored and made a shim for the mongoose. Took a feather pro super or feather super pro whatever you call them.

First thing is there is no way your cutting these blades with scissors, didn't even attempt it because I knew it wasn't going to work so here is what I did.

Took my little work sharp knife and tool belt sander/sharpener with an 80 grit belt and knocked the bevel off the old blade. That process took about a minute but things got a bit tricky.

Trying to fit the shim with the blade wasn't happening they both just wouldn't fit on the posts. So back to the belt sander and rather than sand the whole sides of the old blade I just grinded around the holes . My thinking was that if I just grinded where the posts are I could maintain the stability of the thick shim. Anyhow touched it to the sander for a few seconds and have a perfect fit.

I gotta be honest it changed the blade gap a lot. Razor looks pretty mean now. I may give it a test drive tonight or I may wait until tomorrow.

When I do I will let you guys know. My phones camera is not saving my pictures at the moment but if it works I'll post some pics.

Has anybody done this before? If so what happened? I didn't do this to get the razor more aggressive. The main reason I did it was to be able to shave at a shallower angle which I prefer. If anybody has done this before please let me know.

3 1,356
 08-28-2015, 06:38 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
You will cut your face offSmile 

I'm interested to know if the angle change is noticable. Look forward to your experience.

61 4,643
 08-28-2015, 06:40 PM
User Info
Me too. Can't wait till morning off to the shower I'll report back afterwards.

3 1,356
 08-28-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
Ok first shave down give me a second...

3 1,356
 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM
User Info
Ok first off to answer the angle question,yes the angle changed . I was shaving with the handle almost pointed straight toward the floor and that was the angle it was meant to be shaved at.

Second of all shimming turns this razor into a bad bad girl. They say the pro super feels like a straight,no shimmed with a super feels just like a straight. You feel every inch of blade on your face ,respect it and only use a feather touch. Better yet forget this is not a straight, shave with it exactly like you would a straight. I only had to do one pass,  granted I haft to shave everyday regardless of how many passes I do my skin hates when I go against the grain so I normally do 2 passes,this shave gave me similar results in one. I'm not bbs but I never try to be . I do have the same shave I usually get and am happy with.

I did have a few bumps on my neck from a few shaves ago and it did open those bumps up. My biggest worry honestly was at just how much blade I felt if I placed it to hard on my skin I knew it would of cut me.

I'm happy with it and I'm going to continue to shave like this. I might should of went with a feather pro before I went with a super but go big or go home right.  Plus if I can get by with one pass then there's no telling how long my blades will last.

Not everybody is going to like this razor shimmed,most probably wont. If you like the ikon tech and r41 shaves you will like the goose shimmed. It feels like a straight razor but for those who don't know what that feels like you can feel a little more blade with the goose shimmed than you can on the ikon tech DE and more than an r41. If you gus try this I don't care how many shaves you've had with the goose this is shave number 1. If you get sloppy or use any pressure whatsoever you will get cut. I'll update tomorrow, think I'll try a feather pro or heck maybe even a captain mild since those are going to waste because I couldnt use them before.

3 1,356
 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM
User Info
My phone hates me guys excuse the bad grammar and typing this phone autocorrects words I spell right doesn't use keys I press etc. I hope you can get through that.

3 1,356
 08-28-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
Oh I forgot, Because the blade gap increased the razor also didn't need to be rinsed as often . The lather actually flowed through the holes on the bottom instead of clogging.

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 12:06 AM
User Info
Can we have pics please? Would be very interesting to see how it looks...Biggrin

Send with my BlackBerry Passport

0 273
 08-29-2015, 05:33 AM
User Info
What a great idea, alas I don't have the tools necessary.

24 229
 08-29-2015, 07:35 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-28-2015, 06:20 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Has anybody done this before? If so what happened?  I didn't do this to get the razor more aggressive.  The main reason I did it was to be able to shave at a shallower angle which I prefer. If anybody has done this before please let me know.

Yes, I've made a set of shims for my Mongoose. I use two (one for under the blade and the other at the back) to maintain the proper gap. My preferred blade is the Super so I used two Pros as shims. The rear shim must have a half-moon cut away to clear the threaded post on the cap and to keep it flush at that back of the razor's head when assembled. I've also done two other mods to my Mongoose, but prefer not to mention the details as one will likely void your warranty.

How does it shave while shimmed? Wonderfully, and as close to using a straight as you can get. I now shave more with straights than other types of razors, but I occasionally use SE razors to change it up a bit. I find that I use my Mongoose very much like I use my straights regarding pressure and angles. I also own the King Cobra and the Classic Cobra; the Mongoose, and Cobras achieve the same shaving result, but do so differently during shaving. Owed to its head size, I find the Mongoose a better complement to straight razor shaving than I do the Cobras. The deeper Mongoose head emulates a straight razor blade width, as least for me.

13 626
 08-29-2015, 10:05 AM
User Info
(08-29-2015, 05:33 AM)keithmax Wrote: What a great idea, alas I don't have the tools necessary.

Concrete or a brick or a waterstone would work. Go rub an old blade on concrete and grind that edge off. If you use a thinner blade you won't haft to grind to make it fit over the post.

Also about pictures maybe tech guys can help me out. I have a Samsung galaxy note 4 . Updated android on it 2 weeks ago and when my wife aND I both updated we lost our gallerys,when we take pictures and go to view them in gallery the pictures are black with a grey ! In the center ...

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 10:12 AM
User Info
(08-29-2015, 07:35 AM)Entasis Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 06:20 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Has anybody done this before? If so what happened?  I didn't do this to get the razor more aggressive.  The main reason I did it was to be able to shave at a shallower angle which I prefer. If anybody has done this before please let me know.

Yes, I've made a set of shims for my Mongoose. I use two (one for under the blade and the other at the back) to maintain the proper gap. My preferred blade is the Super so I used two Pros as shims. The rear shim must have a half-moon cut away to clear the threaded post on the cap and to keep it flush at that back of the razor's head when assembled. I've also done two other mods to my Mongoose, but prefer not to mention the details as one will likely void your warranty.

How does it shave while shimmed? Wonderfully, and as close to using a straight as you can get. I now shave more with straights than other types of razors, but I occasionally use SE razors to change it up a bit. I find that I use my Mongoose very much like I use my straights regarding pressure and angles. I also own the King Cobra and the Classic Cobra; the Mongoose, and Cobras achieve the same shaving result, but do so differently during shaving. Owed to its head size, I find the Mongoose a better complement to straight razor shaving than I do the Cobras. The deeper Mongoose head emulates a straight razor blade width, as least for me.

I've got a friend that is a machinist, he has some very precise tools etc. I've been in metal fab a long time myself as a hobby and with my job. As far as your mods to the razor go I have a few ideas I'm going to do myself. I bought the mongoose I have now second hand and I'm on the list for a new one if I screw this one up. 

I am going to attempt to increase the blade exposure, and I'm going to see if there is a way to add a little length to the blade posts to hold the shims a little better. I've also got an idea on how to change the blade gap for good but I'm just going to haft to play around with it before I do anything permanent to the razor.

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-29-2015, 10:05 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Also about pictures maybe tech guys can help me out. I have a Samsung galaxy note 4 . Updated android on it 2 weeks ago and when my wife aND I both updated we lost our gallerys,when we take pictures and go to view them in gallery the pictures are black with a grey ! In the center ...

Take a look at this Android thread (I know it's a different model Samsung but the symptoms are similar): http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung...tos-3.html

13 626
 08-29-2015, 12:46 PM
User Info
(08-29-2015, 12:06 PM)Entasis Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 10:05 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Also about pictures maybe tech guys can help me out. I have a Samsung galaxy note 4 . Updated android on it 2 weeks ago and when my wife aND I both updated we lost our gallerys,when we take pictures and go to view them in gallery the pictures are black with a grey ! In the center ...

Take a look at this Android thread (I know it's a different model Samsung but the symptoms are similar): http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung...tos-3.html

SD card was removed when it first happened and it fixed it . Then the update cameand did it again on both my note 4s now I would just send it back but I'm not wanting to send a brand new phone off for a refurb.

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 04:09 PM
User Info
want to see some pics, sir!
I want to turn my goose into a beast!

53 760
 08-29-2015, 04:21 PM
User Info
Justin, that sounds interesting.  Post some pictures when you get a chance.

61 3,796
 08-29-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
I can't post pictures dad gum it I'm trying. All I did was take the shimming you do with a 3 piece DE,blades. You can't cut the blades so I ground the edge off . I have power tools but it can be done with coarse hones ,on concrete anything that will grind metal. Load blade first then the shim. It doubles the blade gap basically it appears to have more exposure ,but because it's locked into the pins it's just an illusion.

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
Attempting a pic of a feather pro ,edge ground off it fits flush as a shim

[Image: JXvFd6x.jpg]

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
Shimmed pic[Image: LAN9DqP.jpg]

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 05:30 PM
User Info
[Image: 52uhIe6.jpg]

RegulAR load with a pro, sorry if there's dirt and grime in the pic ,I'm been playing around with the razor in the shop  a bit.

3 1,356