08-29-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
Hello all,
Sorry if this is somewhere else I could not find a lot on Google.

Found that
Merkur are a brass core with a chrome plating handle, But does that include the Head?

Muhle found that the heads are stainless steel with chrome plating, but what is the handle made of?

Maggard Heads are Zinc Alloy, Chrome plated.

And any opinion on best material for longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 386
 08-29-2015, 05:53 PM
User Info
Was emailing http://www.techichishave.com which say that are a authorized Merkur dealer. There support told me that the heads are made from Zamac core with chrome plated.

13 386
 08-29-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
(08-29-2015, 04:33 PM)Rlacrossjr Wrote: Hello all,

Found that
Merkur are a brass core with a chrome plating handle, But does that include the Head?

Muhle found that the heads are stainless steel with chrome plating, but what is the handle made of?

I thought muhle and merkur were zinc alloy. Where did you find Muhle was stainless? I can say with 100% confidence my r41 is not stainless.

Most razors are Zinc Alloy.  Fatip is brass,old Gillette are brass. Your feather asds is stainless,above the tie,some ikons others are aluminum.  Your razors from muhle ,Edwin jagger,merkur are all zinc alloy with chrome finish.

3 1,356
 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
Depends on model. Merkur 38C is brass core. The 43c has a steel handle. But the heads are zamac though.

13 386
 08-29-2015, 06:10 PM
User Info
On the Muhle head unless false on description on replacement head part on Amazon. [Image: d271c9aa3319c8acc0252e8cf3d09ec3.jpg]

13 386
 08-30-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
That Amazon listing is incorect.  The entire Muhle R9 is Zinc Alloy (Zamac).  My view is that stainless steel razors are the most durable.

50 6,075
 08-30-2015, 12:15 PM
User Info
Unless you drop a Zamac head, it should last you many decades. The finish will wear out faster than the core. At which point, it may or may not rust, depending on the quality of the zinc/aluminum blend. There's really nothing wrong with Zamac per se, other than it's cheap and considered cheap.

Brass is heavier than Zinc/aluminum, so that's usually a plus. And if you drop it, it doesn't have the possibility of shattering. But I don't think they machine heads from brass anymore. Too expensive, and might as well use Stainless.

That amazon listing is wrong.

9 3,036
 08-30-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
Seen way too many corroded heads and threads in posts over the years to ever consider a Zamak made razor for myself.
Vintage brass all the way.

0 50
 08-30-2015, 11:00 PM
User Info
Brass, zamak and even pot-metal (as is used in my YUMA) is good enough for a reasonable priced razor. For a high end razor I would expect aluminium, steel or even titanium - with a corresponding higher price.

3 4,486
 08-31-2015, 04:50 AM
User Info
I agree Hans.  I think a razor that's is taken care of will last a long time.  I think Zamak gets a really bad reputation without much merit.  Some of the examples I have seen clearly show the lack of user maintenance.  A little clean up afterwards it will make a big difference in the longevity of the razor.

Even stainless will rust if not properly handle.

61 3,796
 08-31-2015, 05:03 AM
User Info
Hector, you should talk to some of the restorers/replaters. There is certainly merit to Zamak corrosion that has very little to do with clean up. Maybe it's a bit overblown because the ones with corrosion are louder than those without, but it still has merit as a known problem.

0 50
 08-31-2015, 05:08 AM
User Info
I understand what you mean, but I have worked with metals, so I'm speaking based on my experience, not on others.  It is my understanding that Zamak can't even be restored, so the only way to prevent damage is by taking care of it.

It is a known problem, but I think like you said, is overblown.  I own many razors made of Zamak and never had a problem, so like I said, I'm just speaking based on my own experience.

61 3,796
 08-31-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
(08-29-2015, 05:55 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 04:33 PM)Rlacrossjr Wrote: Hello all,

Found that

I thought muhle and merkur were zinc alloy. Where did you find Muhle was stainless? I can say with 100% confidence my r41 is not stainless.

Most razors are Zinc Alloy.  Fatip is brass,old Gillette are brass. Your feather asds is stainless,above the tie,some ikons others are aluminum.  Your razors from muhle ,Edwin jagger,merkur are all zinc alloy with chrome finish.
+1

39 3,919
 08-31-2015, 09:54 AM
User Info
Zamac is so cheap, why bother restoring it? It's literally the pennies per pound. Brass is much more expensive.

Also, brass corrodes as well. But you can buff it out and replate it at a cost effective price. But then again, you can just replace it. Or, do nothing, it still works.

9 3,036
 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 09:54 AM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: Zamac is so cheap, why bother restoring it? It's literally the pennies per pound. Brass is much more expensive.

Also, brass corrodes as well. But you can buff it out and replate it at a cost effective price. But then again, you can just replace it. Or, do nothing, it still works.

I agree Thumbup

61 3,796
 08-31-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 09:54 AM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: Zamac is so cheap, why bother restoring it? It's literally the pennies per pound. Brass is much more expensive.

I guess maybe restore it if you have a discontinued model? Or if you have the ability to restore rather than replace why not?  I have a lot of zinc razors too and unless they couldn't be had anymore I personally wouldn't bother because I don't have the resources to do it myself.

To the guy that posted the amazon shot,yes that is wrong,I typed in stainless steel razor on there and got a few other results I know are not stainless. General rule of thumb for meif it costs under 100 it's not stainless steel.

3 1,356
 08-31-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
Going slightly off topic, I caught myself wondering if part of the reason Zamak has gotten a bad reputation harks back to the War - that's WW2, for those wondering - where zamak was used as an Ersatz material for many more expensive / hard to get metals. Since it was a replacement, the mental connection to 'inferior' is easy to latch onto, even it Zamak itself is actually a fairly high grade material specificity develop to avoid the dreaded zinc pest. Compared to the more common potmetals zamak was developed to replace, it's a wonderful trouble free material.

As a sidebar to the sidebar, in British and US English the very term 'ersatz' has come to mean 'of inferior quality', whereas in German the meaning is simply 'replacement'. Stainless steel can be (and during wartime often have been) used as an ersatz material for brass and aluminium, and in most cases a more natural choice than zamak or potmetal.

3 4,486
 08-31-2015, 10:22 AM
User Info
Just my opinion so take it as that. I think Zamac gets a bad rep in shaving because a lot of the old timers used to vintage gillettes. We all know how tough those old razors are and even with plate damage they are good.

My theory and it is only a theory is maybe thesE old timers didn't take too much care of their razors and that transferred over to new Zamac razors. I mean to most people shaving is just shaving who cares about the razor right. . Anyway so after a Zamac razor would be damaged it may feel rough in spots or corrode whatever it is,and again comparing to old gillettes and the don't make them like they used to mindset (I agree with fwiw) they just got a bad reputation. Like all things it just got blown way out of proportion

3 1,356
 08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
They don't make them like this anymore Biggrin

[Image: FgQP3uj.jpg]

61 3,796
 08-31-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 10:25 AM)hrfdez Wrote: They don't make them like this anymore Biggrin

[Image: FgQP3uj.jpg]

Nice razor.  Imagine what that exact setup in that picture would cost today.

3 1,356