06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
User Info
Single Edge Razors never seem to get the appreciation, nor attention that Double Edge Razors do. I think part of it is due to more of us has memories of family members using DE's as well as there are plenty of current models in production.

I was one of those who started DE shaving because my father used them, but on my 18th birthday I had switched to an Astra, which I had used for a good part of my adult life. Once returning to classic shaving I acquired the two razors I knew my dad had used, a Super Speed Flare Tip and a Slim Adjustable.

Within days RAD began and I was well into 18 plus DE razors, both vintage and new within the first month. Although I would see post here and there on SE's, I never gave them much thought of purchasing one, although many user grade ones can be found in the $10-$15 range.

When Dave offered the 1912 tour I through my name on the list, mostly thinking "I can say I tried it" and get back to my beloved modern DE razors. Little did I know, that first shave would dramatically change my view on wet shaving.

For over a six weeks period I had used an SEs every day. Sometimes for the full shave, sometimes for one pass, but everyday during one of my two daily shaved with an SE.

What shocked me the most was the audio feedback that provided the 1912 provided, much more than even my 2011 R41. As far as the shave, mild, no irritation at all, but extremely close.

The night of my first SE shave I broke what was my favorite, the R41 for my evening shave. After one pass I switched back to the 1912, primarily because I knew I could attain a BBS without removing a few layers of skin cells. I felt so nice to get a shave this close without the "rawness" i had grown accustomed too.

That began my lover affair with the 1912 and SE's.

I hope that this thread will help open dialogue and on going discussions of SE's in the same way BOTOC has open up people in trying and discussing Open Combs.

So if you are a LOSER, be proud of the fact, I know that I am.

I would like to open this thread on The Shave Nook, so all of the SE love can be shared.

If you don't know much about SE's, this will be the thread to discuss our experiences.

Soon I will be posting comprehensive reviews of the SE's I have tried, those I kept, and those I got rid off.

Some come on LOSERs, join in on the fun.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Well I only have my little injector, and the Featherwieght, (dave also got me hooked) but i certainly love me some SE goodness as well, all my life people told me i was a loser, i just never knew what they meant until now

so i guess my mom was wrong all those years,.... so im a LOSER and WINNING At it beautifully !! count me in Arley

3 748
 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
User Info
Ahhh! The single edge of the injector calls to me.

1 2,827
 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
my humble beginnings into the SE way of life
[Image: IMG_1045.JPG]
cause we all love pictures lol

3 748
 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
Glad to see a fellow LOSER and BOTOC buddy joining the fun.

One of my favorites for my night shaves is my G-Bar, besides a great shaver, just damn sexy to look at.
[Image: G-Bar5.jpg]

5 833
 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
those G Bars are the best looking SE's IMHO, i hear they give a great shave to, they are on my list of purchases for the future it will be my next SE, are they aggressive, or mild Arley, i know they have a lot more heft then my featherweight or the 1912's which to my experience would help for a better shaver over a light model

3 748
 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Nicely coined acronym. I hope you don't mind if it's put into general use?

Well, there are quite a few LOSERs on the forum. You aren't alone. Do a search for single edge razor in this forum and you should find a few threads.

32 6,308
 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
 06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 06:46 PM)syngent Wrote: those G Bars are the best looking SE's IMHO, i hear they give a great shave to, they are on my list of purchases for the future it will be my next SE, are they aggressive, or mild Arley, i know they have a lot more heft then my featherweight or the 1912's which to my experience would help for a better shaver over a light model

Hey James, for me both the Featherweight and Push button shave almost identical to the G-Bar. I like it for it's mild but effective shave.

The weight is not heavy, mid weight, feels very good in my hand.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Back in 2009 I spent 6 months shaving exclusively with GEM/Ever Ready razors.I got very good shaves and maybe its time to get back to SE shaving,but oh boy,my Edwin Jagger/Muhles are so pretty...

86 7,123
 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM
User Info
SEntient reporting for LOSER duty. Make it an OC SE & I'm as giddy as a boy seeing his first pretty girl!

31 7,912
 06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
Syngent, the G-Bar (or Heavy Flat Top) and the Featherweight are among the 2 mildest SE razors. But because they are so easy to find and so reasonably priced I suggest to SE noobs that those are the models to look for.

I bought a mess of them on e-bay and I haven't gotten a bad one yet. The plating is so heavy that other than "drawer damage" they're pretty hard to hurt.

32 6,308
 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
well i am on daves 1912 list, but near the end of it after i try that guy out ill look into more, best part of SE's they are fairly cheap to buy, but i still love those gbars they are just sexy razors lol

thanks for the feedback Arley, and you as well Shadow

(06-25-2012, 07:28 PM)syngent Wrote: well i am on daves 1912 list, but near the end of it after i try that guy out ill look into more, best part of SE's they are fairly cheap to buy, but i still love those gbars they are just sexy razors lol

thanks for the feedback Arley, and you as well Shadow oops i mean Brian !

wow GD that ever ready looks fantastic as well !!

3 748
 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 07:03 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Nicely coined acronym. I hope you don't mind if it's put into general use?

Not at all. Please feel free to pass on the LOSER love.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM
User Info
I have tried several SE's and haven't just got it.....I still have my brother 1912 and OMCC ....being the brother of the LOSER founder...may have to give them another try...with different blades this time.....

0 66
 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
OK Arley, sign me up for a tour! I have always loved the SE's and have 10 SE razors plus 4 Injectors as well. As a matter of fact my very first razor was a GEM Micro-Matic Clog Pruf that my Dad gave me to start shaving with back in 1959. He had purchased one of those new fangeled "Fat Boys". (of course they didn't call them that back in those days!) I probably only had 6-7 whiskers to shave back then but shortly after that I had a few years in the U.S. Navy using a Gillette Tech that was Gov't. issue and developed my manly mane. lol I always get a great shave with a SE and rate them on par with the DE's when properly used and equiped with a quality blade. Glad to see that many of the new wet shavers are experimenting with the SE's and discovering just how efficient they can be.
One thing about our style of shaving (wet shaving) is we can use a variety of razor types and methods. I'm sure as more try the SE's and Injectors the much miligned SE will get it's just recognition. Thanks for starting the LOSER Club Arley and I hope that it will grow with many satisfied SE users! Wink

6 448
 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I recently was able to grab a GEM black-handle push-button in a PIF ran here on TSN. It is definitely in my rotation, and has a *weekend* day (either Saturday or Sunday) dedicated soley to its use.

Sometimes I get *wild*, like today, and shave with it in the middle of the week! Biggrin

I found my model to be very efficient at giving an easy DFS in 2-pass. The handle makes it well suited for the shower, and it fits well in a small coffee mug to hold it while in the shower.

My next SE may very well be a Cobra Classic Cool

9 1,684
 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
I think that they are just often overlooked. Blade choice for your particular beard type I think is vital. I know for me after trying everything, I personal prefer carbon blades. I know others like the coated.

The injectors I am just discovering. I have one, and another on the way. Love their shave.

I still love my DE's, especially my FaTip, but SE will be ones I will always enjoy the variety. I really want to get down to four DE's and maybe six SE's...thank goodness I still have a few to tryBiggrin

5 833
 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm loving the Cobra, if that makes me a LOSER, then so be it!

91 17,795
 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
Nice to see so much activity in such a short amount of time.

Welcome to all the new LOSERs Cool

5 833