08-30-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
I had my first shave with it.  In the past, I read somewhere that it is great sharp/smooth blade and some even said that it has the best sharpness/smoothness combination.
I was a skeptic for a while, because we don't hear much about lords as much as we do about gillettes and feathers.  I popped open one of them from the sampler I got a while ago.

Here's how it went.

Set up
Soap : razorock XXX (very cushiony soap IMO)
razor : razorock baby smooth
water : semi-hard water
brush : purest satin tip synthetic
blade : lord platinum class - fresh blade

First going down WTG pass, it felt okay, but I might have felt that it was slightly duller than other blades that I usually reach for, which are nacet, gillette platinum, personna blue lab.
Thought my thick lather was the cause of high friction I felt going down my stubbly chin, so I added a little bit of water to the brush and relathered.  Kept doing the WTG, then did XTG.

These two passes were very uneventful passes.  Felt quite okay, but nothing to write home about.  I almost felt like I was using a derby or voskhod blade, which are known to be very smooth, but not the sharpest of the blades out there.  In fact, I could tolerate voskhod, but not derby because it's just too dull.  

ATG pass
This is where this blade shines.  ATG passes are usually the most uncomfortable passes for me so I do short strokes or do some J-hookings instead of long, straight ATG strokes.
This blade was very very smooth I felt quite comfortable with it, so I was able to do long ATG strokes from neck to the chinline.

After 3 passes, it required a little bit of touch up, but nothing out of ordinary.

End result : After the cold rinse, dried my face off.  What an amazing shave.  I was hoping for at least a decent shave, because I have a long work hour tomorrow, but it gave me a great shave.
I'd say it's one of the best shaves I've had recently.  Face feel was great as well.  Other shaves, I usually have to reach for witch hazel or AS splash right after the shave, but with this blade, there was absolutely no irritation anywhere.

Slight tugging might be due to its lack of sharpness, but smoothness really makes up for that deficiency.  I think I can use this as a daily driver to minimize irritation and get great shaves.
You might have to do slightly more touch ups here and there, but it will nonetheless give you great shaves.

I can't wait to put this in another razor and see if the same result can be achieved.

Thanks for reading!

53 759
 08-30-2015, 06:52 PM
User Info
I prefer the Lord Super Chromes. The Plats seemed to give me more weepers. The stuff from Lord is certainly comparable to most blades. Certainly better than the crappy stuff Dorco and Derby puts out. Still not as good as the American made Personna Labs which are nearly as sharp as Feathers but much smoother.

18 713
 08-30-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
Glad you found what works. For my beard I get pulling and tugging with most blades I have. I use feathers,polsilvers ,GSB,Gillette black. How would the Lord's rank as far as sharpness goes to the ones I listed??

3 1,356
 08-30-2015, 09:04 PM
User Info
(08-30-2015, 07:50 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Glad you found what works. For my beard I get pulling and tugging with most blades I have. I use feathers,polsilvers ,GSB,Gillette black. How would the Lord's rank as far as sharpness goes to the ones I listed??

Check this out http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=1476

18 713
 08-31-2015, 07:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Have you ever tried a Lord Cool? One of my early favorites for decent performance and unexpected longevity.

7 2,279
 08-31-2015, 09:28 AM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 07:19 AM)Mouser Wrote: Have you ever tried a Lord Cool? One of my early favorites for decent performance and unexpected longevity.

Will check it out.  Hopefully they sell a sampler on ebay.

53 759
 08-31-2015, 09:31 AM
User Info
(08-30-2015, 07:50 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Glad you found what works. For my beard I get pulling and tugging with most blades I have. I use feathers,polsilvers ,GSB,Gillette black. How would the Lord's rank as far as sharpness goes to the ones I listed??

Sharpness is definitely a notch below those you listed.  Those are top tier blades with reputation of being sharpest out there,  unless compared to feather blades. 

Lord plat dedinitely felt mild or milder than sharp blades i am used to,  but i think it makes up for it with how smooth it is.  

It could have been a beginner's luck,  but hopefully it will continue to perform well.

53 759