08-30-2015, 07:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi all  Smile ! Just got a new brush as an experiment - will i like a Big Brush? -the subject of my experiment is a very reasonably priced RazoRock Chubby 2 style. The website gave its specs as 28x51, ~84 grams. I'd like to share my impressions in a week or two, after putting it through its paces. Curious though. Are there any particular guidelines one should follow when reviewing a brush for the forum? I figure I'll use it every other day for the next 2 weeks and then I'll be able to provide my impressions.
     Any advice on points to hit will be appreciated. I've taken a number of  pics already, pre-bloom, with and without other well known brushes as reference points. Post bloom shots will start tomorrow! 
      It looks massively soft right now. It was washed, rinsed and dried today. This brush btw is my biggest brush so far. Don't want to say much more until I use it a bit.

Here's a few pics for now...

[Image: SmdZ5UK.jpg]

[Image: eNujRDC.jpg]

Here it is with an SOC and a Duke 3

[Image: YCaCv9P.jpg]

Today it was washed, tomorrow I shave!!!

7 2,145
 08-30-2015, 07:37 PM
User Info
Looking forward to read it about it.

61 3,796
 08-30-2015, 08:05 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I am looking forward to your review! Smart way to find out if big brushes are for you. Good Luck Charlie.

28 1,622
 08-31-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
Interested to hear your review. I was contemplating getting one of these but hesitated since I couldn't find a review anywhere.

33 508
 08-31-2015, 05:22 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(08-30-2015, 07:35 PM)chazt Wrote: Are there any particular guidelines one should follow when reviewing a brush for the forum? 

Looks like your off to a great start! Once you have your data just plug it into the seperate star rating areas that apply. Add some photos and narrative of your experience and success. 

Look forward to your report.

59 4,495
 08-31-2015, 07:55 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Very much look forward to your thoughts! I had thought of ordering one myself as they seem to represent a solid value [believe these are actually OEM Zenith brushes].

They are currently sold out though.

2 1,180
 08-31-2015, 08:07 AM
User Info
Some things I'd be interested in hearing about are the softness of the tips, level of scritch (if any), shedding (if any) and overall impression of quality. I like your approach in that you are going to use it a bit before putting together a review.

40 1,166
 08-31-2015, 09:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-31-2015, 08:07 AM)shevek Wrote: Some things I'd be interested in hearing about are the softness of the tips, level of scritch (if any), shedding (if any) and overall impression of quality. I like your approach in that you are going to use it a bit before putting together a review.

Thanks, it just kind of makes sense...

7 2,145
 08-31-2015, 11:08 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have the Zenith branded version of this brush.  I won't sway your review by adding my opinions yet, but physically the brush seems to be very well manufactured, I have found zero issues with my brush.  I really appreciate you doing a full testing before giving your opinion, it makes it worth a whole lot more (at least to me).

144 2,751
 08-31-2015, 05:52 PM
User Info
Looking forward to your thoughts on this brush.  I noticed they are sold out on the Italian Barber site.

50 6,081
 08-31-2015, 07:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Ricardo, I saw that too. The black one sold out first. Truthfully, I was unaware of the Zenith brand until Dave mentioned it. A quick search revealed a pic on the mfg website. I will refrain from posting it until I do my review. 

One update on that front. Today's brush experience was quite satisfying, and the brush is approaching dry, 12 hours later. At this rate it will be dry in time for tomorrow's shave, so I'll use it then. My point being, if it'll dry within 24 hours I may as well use it every day and speed up the trial period and report back in a week instead of two.

7 2,145
 09-01-2015, 05:25 AM
User Info
What is the concern regarding a brush drying completely before using it? I ask because I typically use a brush on consecutive days for a while before rotating. I know that boar knots break in faster if you do this as it allows the tips to split. But is there any benefit to doing this with a badger knot?

40 1,166
 09-01-2015, 05:32 AM
User Info
I've been told it doesn't really matter if it dries 100% between shaves as long as you are storing it with proper air circulation and shaking out excess moisture after you shave.

People used to only have one shaving brush and used it for years AFAIK.

33 508
 09-01-2015, 11:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-01-2015, 05:25 AM)shevek Wrote: What is the concern regarding a brush drying completely before using it? I ask because I typically use a brush on consecutive days for a while before rotating. I know that boar knots break in faster if you do this as it allows the tips to split. But is there any benefit to doing this with a badger knot?

Nothing really. Just in my head, I guess. I've been rotating between brushes since I started using a brush.

(09-01-2015, 05:32 AM)OnaBlueCloud Wrote: I've been told it doesn't really matter if it dries 100% between shaves as long as you are storing it with proper air circulation and shaking out excess moisture after you shave.

People used to only have one shaving brush and used it for years AFAIK.

And think of all the fun they were missing out on!

7 2,145
 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
If the performance of this brush matches the description on Italian Barber, it could be a great value.  The shaving world awaits your thoughts Charlie.

50 6,081
 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-01-2015, 12:56 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: If the performance of this brush matches the description on Italian Barber, it could be a great value.  The shaving world awaits your thoughts Charlie.

I agree, it is a tempting description Ricardo! And yes, a great value... I don't want to say too much at the moment. Today was only day two of (cue the reverb and delay) My Big Brush Experiment ment ment ment ment...

Sunday will be day 7, so I figure the review should be posted sometime on Monday. I've been jotting notes after every shave to aid my feeble memory when it comes time to do the write-up. Sure hope it lives up to the hype! Tongue

7 2,145
 09-07-2015, 01:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
1 week in the books. Bottom line after 1 week, I liked the big brush, but don't believe I want to use it exclusively. I'm glad I bought an inexpensive brush with which to conduct my research - granted it was far from a high end brush, but i believe the experience helped to answer some questions. I may be looking for greater density, not necessarily girth, per se. Now, to set my sights on a Chubby 1 and a Stubby 1. I've entered a review of the RazoRock for those interested.

7 2,145
 09-07-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
Let me weigh in on the subject of big brushes.   I use -- regularly -- any of several Chubby 2 and Chubby 3 Simpsons, and the biggest of the Shavemacs (28mm).   Expensive, I am afraid.  However, luxurious as can be: shaving in a different league.   But if you are starting on Simpsons, may I suggest a Classic 1:  it is NOT a big brush, but its performance is at the top levels, and it is a superb -- and not inordinately expensive -- introduction to Simpsons.

Good luck!

Stanley

2 155
 10-04-2015, 06:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
So in relatively rapid succession, since August 17th (today is October 4th) I've acquired 4 nice new brushes. The aforementioned Razorock Chubby, before that a Duke 3, a Simpsons CH1 and most recently a Simpsons 59 (big shout out to Jarrod at The Superior Shave!). The 59 is a massive brute! What a Huge Handle!!! The knot measures 26x54 (per TSS). It arrived yesterday. I've so far only cleaned it, and plan on using it for tonight's shave. After using it for a week I'll offer my impressions. Here it is pre-bloom, and hanging to dry with its den-mates.

[Image: OXB3lUi.jpg]
[Image: KX9EQIM.jpg]

7 2,145
 10-04-2015, 08:58 AM
User Info
Nice addition.  You are right, the 59 is brute, but it is nice.  I have a 58 in Best also and it feels better than some of the Manchurians I own.

Let us know how you like it Smile

61 3,796